collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Magical Baubles and Bib-Bobs  (Read 4930 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Magical Baubles and Bib-Bobs
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
This came up in a couple of threads recently and I wanted to pull it out into a thread of its own.  People talked about amulets and other, similar things.

So:  If you have amulets, magical jewelry, or similar things, what functions do they serve?

How did you make them?  Did you use materials, colors, designs, or decorations that were particularly good for that purpose?  Did you do some sort of energetic charging to tune them up?

Let's talk artificing!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Baubles and Bib-Bobs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:59 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;63659

How did you make them?  Did you use materials, colors, designs, or decorations that were particularly good for that purpose?  Did you do some sort of energetic charging to tune them up?

As a usually broke student, I'm somewhat limited by what I can do. I try to use glass beads, making single strands, approximately a foot long. I work in patterns and use whatever designs I find visually appealing. My current one is a mix of blue, purple, silver, black and light-reflecting material with 4 key charms and one lock charm.

I leave them in the sun after making. When I think I need them, I wrap them around my wrist, basically somewhere where they are touching skin.

As far as purpose goes, my beliefs about magic are a combination of intent and the unseen. I don't use my beads to cast spells or such, they are for me a place to storm emotions and draw energy from. Sort of a worry bead concept, they come along whenever I need something steady myself with. I do have to set them in the sun every once in a while so they can cleanse and recharge.

I really want to make a strand with gemstones on it as stones absorb and hold emotions and energy much better than glass.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:12 am »
If you have amulets, magical jewelry, or similar things, what functions do they serve?

My amulets are mostly jewelry, plus a few rocks.

For the most part, they are silver charms I had custom made from my designs using symbols that are important to me, such as Brighid's crosses of various types, ogham characters, trisks, stones, etc.

To "charge" them, I use a brief ritual of purification and dedication to Brighid.

They have a variety of uses, depending on how I've designed them.  Mostly they are intended to honor Brighid and keep me mindful of my commitment to Her, and for general protection.  One is for protection and healing related to an accident I had a few years ago.  Another is about health. A couple are for specific kinds of shielding.  Two are connected with my flame tending for Brighid.

Mostly, I wear them, as pendants or as charms on bracelets or anklets.  A few are attached to my prayer beads. Two or three are rings.  Two (at the moment) are tattoos.

I don't consider them to be magic, at least not in the sense of spell casting.  But that's a very fuzzy line, I know.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:23 am »

So:  If you have amulets, magical jewelry, or similar things, what functions do they serve?

Depends on the piece. Some are meant to anchor formal ritual oaths. Some are meant to help with a particular focus or working.

How did you make them?

Some of mine come from having a very good friend who's an awesome jewellry maker (wire work + a vast collection of beads and related items.)

The ones I've made myself for medium-term workings have tended to be polymer clay. It's not the most ideal substance in some ways (being entirely manmade), but I can do it at home in a rented apartment, the colours are awesome and flexible, it can do a wide range of shapes and purposes, and once fired in the oven, it is very sturdy.

It's very satisfying for me to work with - and more than some of the more natural options. (Straight clay and glazes would be even better, but I don't anticipate having access to somewhere I could make that work anytime soon.)

I've done the altar pieces I've mentioned here before, but also amulets for long-term prosperity workings (flat circle, designed to be carried, done in one color, carved, fired, then the second color worked into the carvings, fired again and sanded down), and some 3Dish stuff (house blessing: something designed to be hung in the home.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:59:39 pm »
This came up in a couple of threads recently and I wanted to pull it out into a thread of its own.  People talked about amulets and other, similar things.

Let's talk artificing!

I don't know if this counts, but I treat my ankh as a protective piece of jewelry. I also believe Bast's turquoise necklace to have some protective properties. If my history is correct, the ankh has always had anti-evil properties. In my mind, it doesn't need to be of any special material, as long as it isn't plastic. It's already charged for its purpose.

Bast shares her turquoise necklace with me many days. Whenever I'm not wearing it, the necklace adorns Bast's statue and I believe it takes some power from that association, if that makes any sense.

My ankh was mass-produced, I think, but the turquoise necklace was handmade by a guy at a rock and gem show.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:50 pm »

l

I have about four pendants of Aset.  One of them is on Her shrine in the open so I can wear it.  The others are in a jewelry box, on Her shrine.  If I ever wear those, it's like a huge conduit for Her.  

These are for protection and to keep Her presence near me out of shrine.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:59 am »

Let's talk artificing!

I don't know it this would count but I have witch bottles in use for money, protection, love. I love to make then and put them around where needed. I try to use a color bottle that matches what I am doing, just fill them up will ingredients and intent, seal with wax and a rune and put them where I think they should got. My money one has worked the best. I don't get large sums but when money is tight I shake it and we get sewing jobs to get us through.

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

So far, I have a Ma'at amulet. I made it out of holly. On one side I pyrographed the 'seated goddess with a feather' glyph, and a feather on the opposite side. I wear it on a silk cord when I leave the house. It's about 1-1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

The background is painted a deep blue.

I did 'establish' it on my shrine, but didn't do much of a ritual on this one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:50:04 am by Helmsman_of_Inepu »
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »
If you have amulets, magical jewelry, or similar things, what functions do they serve?

This is a bit outside the realm of jewelry, but New Hampshire is rich in white and rosy quartz (and, of course, granite!), and I've been collecting interesting examples on my daily walks along our country byways. I've been using them as "desk wards," so to speak. Here's a photo I took, using an old Maxfield Parrish trick, by which he simulated reflections in still water in his studio. I turned it upside down, which gives it a greater sense of mystery.

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:55:59 am »

Let's talk artificing!

I make a bunch of stuff. I make almost all of my jewelry. I was raised by two artists (prior to their becoming many other things) and creating or working on an existing creation was a daily requirement. Paint, wood, metal, clay, glass, paper, fabric, electricity, etc. As a result, if I want something for a magical purpose, I try to make it first before buying anything. At the very least this allows me a better idea of the quality of craftsmanship.

I think this must have been the post that got me set on writing about the mojo bags I make because I cannot think of where else I would've gotten the idea. Never felt like writing about them before. Been making them since I was a kid and they've gotten more complex as I have aged. And more specialized since I've read and been exposed to more and different traditions.

I thought it would be easy to just jot down the jist of it. But yeah, not so much. I did it finish it though in a too lengthy blog entry if such things are of interest.

Good gravy. I think this forum seeps into my brain and sets it on wild hair tangents and I don't even realize it. It's a good thing I think. :)

Malia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:36 am »

It depends on what they're made of and how I have charmed them. Two amulets I have are simply tumbled stones on cord, one being clear quartz, the other rhodonite. I use the former for general protection, peace, etc., and the latter for maintaining my disposition and balance on off-days. Aside from that, they can compliment several outfits!

How did you make them?  Did you use materials, colors, designs, or decorations that were particularly good for that purpose?  Did you do some sort of energetic charging to tune them?

I'm trying to make my own jewelry these days, for one. Generally, I see any jewelry with a genuine crystal as being magical, given it wasn't just slapped onto the piece. That's why I try to use that on any jewelry I make, along with glass as a concentrating agent; no plastic, as I feel it would distort the energies.

When money's tight--which it almost always is--I have another method that I learned from my Associate friend. I can take any piece of jewelry and "charm" it by placing it in some hot water along with enough salt to cloud the water, a piece of snowy/milky quartz, and whatever stones the metaphysical properties of which I want on the jewelry. I let that sit for a few hours, and when I get it all nice and dry, I can sense the energies of the stones I used on the piece; the jewelry's energy isn't as strong as it would be if it was made with actual stones, though. But yeah, that method works even on plastic jewelry, and there's lots of room for customization. It's especially useful for when my friends need charms. Next time around, I want to use heated filtered water and sea salt, just to see if that clarifies the energy at all.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:26 am »

I'm an unadorned gal.  I don't wear jewelry of any kind (even a wedding ring).  But I do make protective charms out of various things, and sometimes they're decorative.  I've made knitted tubes with little scrolls with spells written on them hidden inside.  These are often unraveled to "undo" the spell when it's done its work.  I also do some metal work, especially of copper wire and sheet.  These all tend to have specific purposes and are for short-term use only, though.

Brina
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:48:46 am by yewberry »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:42:07 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;66966
...I've made knitted tubes with little scrolls with spells written on them hidden inside.  These are often unraveled to "undo" the spell when it's done its work...

I really like this idea, Brina.  Is it something you came up with yourself?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:39:51 pm »
Quote from: Malia;66960

I can take any piece of jewelry and "charm" it by placing it in some hot water along with enough salt to cloud the water, a piece of snowy/milky quartz, and whatever stones the metaphysical properties of which I want on the jewelry. I let that sit for a few hours, and when I get it all nice and dry, I can sense the energies of the stones I used on the piece;

Just a note of caution:  Be careful using salt this way.  It can irreparably damage some stones.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;66978
I really like this idea, Brina.  Is it something you came up with yourself?

Well, there's nothing new under the sun, but I don't think I read about it anywhere beforehand.

Brina

Tags: