collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Reinterpreting Bïfrost  (Read 1672 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Reinterpreting Bïfrost
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »
Came across this in the 15th ISC papers:

This paper argues that while de Vries is probably correct in his interpretation of the etymological roots and literal meaning of Bifrǫst/ Bilröst,  he neglects to recognise the most appropriate metaphoric connotation. This is because the key to unlocking the meaning of  the  names appears to lie in the realisation that they are actually poetic kennings which conform in form and meaning to numerous other kennings representing the same phenomenon : namely the trembling, shuddering, shaking movement of the sea or ocean. Evidence for this can be found by analysing the roots of the names Bifrǫst/ Bilröst. It has been speculated that name could denote a  way, path, trail or road  of some kind  (e.g. Simek :   ‘swaying road to heaven’),  but what appears not to have been considered is the specific association of these concepts with the sea in Old Norse and skaldic poetry. This association is substantiated by one of the largest groups of sea kenning which denote the sea as a  way, road, path or trail  Within this group are a significant number of  examples using  rǫst -  some examples being  blárǫst  (the blue trail);  hafrǫst ( sea-way); lǫgrǫst  (water -path);  Gylfa rǫst (Gylfi’s road)  and Huglar  rǫst (Hugl’s (island) way

This is interesting to me in a couple of ways. Nordic geography saw the world as flat, Midgard encircled by the ocean. In Bïfrost legend, the Jotuns cross the bridge to enter Midgard. With Jotuns being those at the edges of Midgard and the sea being the edge of the world, Jotuns crossing the ocean makes total sense.

Another thing that fits in perfectly is Heimdall. He sits on Bïfrost, awaiting the Jotuns. And...he's the son of the nine ocean mothers.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Reinterpreting Bïfrost
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;63466
Came across this in the 15th ISC papers:

This is interesting to me in a couple of ways. Nordic geography saw the world as flat, Midgard encircled by the ocean. In Bïfrost legend, the Jotuns cross the bridge to enter Midgard. With Jotuns being those at the edges of Midgard and the sea being the edge of the world, Jotuns crossing the ocean makes total sense.

Another thing that fits in perfectly is Heimdall. He sits on Bïfrost, awaiting the Jotuns. And...he's the son of the nine ocean mothers.

Plausible theory which fits into nordic concepts of a barrier between worlds...

Bonus info: I´m going to ISC 15 :cool:

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:43:56 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;63493
Plausible theory which fits into nordic concepts of a barrier between worlds...

The more I chew on it the more it makes sense. (And not in a Loki is Jesus way but, you know, for real...)

Bonus info: I´m going to ISC 15 :cool:

Lucky. I suppose it'd be too much to ask for you to record every.single.second. Will you at least fill me in on what was said about this particular topic?
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:06:39 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;63503
The more I chew on it the more it makes sense. (And not in a Loki is Jesus way but, you know, for real...)

Yeah... Currently writing an article in Danish on Loki according to the sources. When I´m done with it I´ll probably make a thread on AL and here.

Lucky. I suppose it'd be too much to ask for you to record every.single.second. Will you at least fill me in on what was said about this particular topic?

I´ll see if I can. It depends wether or not I´ll go to that particular lecture (currently I´m trying to wrap my head around the structure of the conference).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:07:32 am by hlewagastir »

Tags:

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 341
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal