Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Cleansing Rituals without Smoke/Incense?  (Read 7900 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Cleansing Rituals without Smoke/Incense?
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:00 pm »
I am looking for cleansing rituals that can be used for houses and tarot cards, but they have to be ones that do not include smoke or incense of any kind. Everyone in my house has sensitive noses, allergies, and asthma, not to mention there's a puppy and a baby in the house right now. Any suggestions or resources I could look to? Also, any suggestions on talking to house spirits? I have the ghosts of family members in the house and I get the feeling they don't like that I'm not a Christian anymore. Not to mention they seem to occasionally scare my nephew, who is the baby I mentioned above. Please and thank you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:14:44 am by RandallS »
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cleansing rituals?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;63414
I am looking for cleansing rituals that can be used for houses and tarot cards, but they have to be ones that do not include smoke or incense of any kind. Everyone in my house has sensitive noses, allergies, and asthma, not to mention there's a puppy and a baby in the house right now. Any suggestions or resources I could look to? Also, any suggestions on talking to house spirits? I have the ghosts of family members in the house and I get the feeling they don't like that I'm not a Christian anymore. Not to mention they seem to occasionally scare my nephew, who is the baby I mentioned above. Please and thank you!

Speaking of generic, non path-specific rituals: If fire, smoke and incense are out of question, sprinkling the house with sea salt water is also widely used as a part of purification rituals. The water is usually blessed according to a specific path/tradition - you may pray to a deity you follow, for example.
Also, you might want to look into existing Kemetic rituals. If you have already established a bond between the gods of this pantheon, these rituals would probably be more potent for you, then any practice that is more of a generic Neo-Pagan variety.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:44 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;63423
Speaking of generic, non path-specific rituals: If fire, smoke and incense are out of question, sprinkling the house with sea salt water is also widely used as a part of purification rituals. The water is usually blessed according to a specific path/tradition - you may pray to a deity you follow, for example.
Also, you might want to look into existing Kemetic rituals. If you have already established a bond between the gods of this pantheon, these rituals would probably be more potent for you, then any practice that is more of a generic Neo-Pagan variety.

Umm, Didn't know there were Kemetic specific ones :ashamed: I'll look into it, thanks!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »
I am looking for cleansing rituals that can be used for houses and tarot cards, but they have to be ones that do not include smoke or incense of any kind. Everyone in my house has sensitive noses, allergies, and asthma, not to mention there's a puppy and a baby in the house right now...

Have you thought about strewing herbs?  You can grind them and mix with baking soda, sprinkle on carpets and rugs, leave for an hour, then vacuum up.  I use mint, lemon verbena, and lavender for this *but* you'll want to make sure you don't choose anything that might set off an allergy.

I use charged water in a spray bottle and/or bucket for floor and surface cleansing.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:23 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;63427
Have you thought about strewing herbs?  You can grind them and mix with baking soda, sprinkle on carpets and rugs, leave for an hour, then vacuum up.  I use mint, lemon verbena, and lavender for this *but* you'll want to make sure you don't choose anything that might set off an allergy.

I use charged water in a spray bottle and/or bucket for floor and surface cleansing.

Hmm, no I've never thought about strewing herbs, though the problem of a baby and puppy does present itself as a potential challenge to that. I don't know what the baby is allergic to, if anything, and I don't want my nosy pup eating anything. How do you make charged water?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:09:57 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;63428
Hmm, no I've never thought about strewing herbs, though the problem of a baby and puppy does present itself as a potential challenge to that. I don't know what the baby is allergic to, if anything, and I don't want my nosy pup eating anything.

Mint is easily used and non-toxic for dogs if you decide to go that route.

How do you make charged water?

Well, I've done it two ways:

- Water can be charged under sunlight or moonlight (this used to be my go-to method).  Some people choose a specific moon-phase to focus the intent, but I've never found it to matter that much.  The water can take on the...energies (I *hate* that term but cannot think of a better one atm) of the sun or moon and then cleanse with it.  

- I now charge my water with intent by using breathing exercises to focus on the properties I want the water to have.

- Sea salt can be added to charged water, like Natchigall said, and since it has purifying properties the salt will bring those to the water.  It helps to envision what you want the salt to cleanse.

I hope that helps!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:23:16 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;63432

- Water can be charged under sunlight or moonlight (this used to be my go-to method).  Some people choose a specific moon-phase to focus the intent, but I've never found it to matter that much.  The water can take on the...energies (I *hate* that term but cannot think of a better one atm) of the sun or moon and then cleanse with it.  

- I now charge my water with intent by using breathing exercises to focus on the properties I want the water to have.

- Sea salt can be added to charged water, like Natchigall said, and since it has purifying properties the salt will bring those to the water.  It helps to envision what you want the salt to cleanse.

I hope that helps!

Ah, thank you! that link was very helpful as well, I can just tear open some teabags lol I do have a spray bottle, so I think perhaps I'll make some charged, salty tea in the bottle. At least the house will smell nice lol thank you both :3

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:10 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;63426
Umm, Didn't know there were Kemetic specific ones :ashamed: I'll look into it, thanks!

Are you a strict reconstructionist?

Because, for house cleansing, that calls upon Egyptian deities... I was thinking of the Star Ruby. It's a rescripting itself of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram from Hermetic tradition, so if you want to modify the script to include your patrons, or draw central power from somewhere other than a phallus that you don't have, that's doable. Or you can do the LBRP because your ghosts sound like they'd be answerable to those names.

Those rituals might read as complicated, but it's just waving your hands and shouting things without leaving herbs or smoke or anything, and it works if you work it. I don't recall if there was a limit of space, either, so the four quarters could encompass your house. Or you could repeat the ritual in every room.

This cleansing ritual is much simpler: http://cantrap.net/technique/cleanse.html You could visualize the Ankh glowing in the heart of your tarot deck. Though, I'd just put an agate slice or geode slice on top of the deck for a few moments and be done.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:56:56 pm »
Quote from: triple_entendre;63504
Are you a strict reconstructionist?

Because, for house cleansing, that calls upon Egyptian deities... I was thinking of the Star Ruby. It's a rescripting itself of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram from Hermetic tradition, so if you want to modify the script to include your patrons, or draw central power from somewhere other than a phallus that you don't have, that's doable. Or you can do the LBRP because your ghosts sound like they'd be answerable to those names.

Those rituals might read as complicated, but it's just waving your hands and shouting things without leaving herbs or smoke or anything, and it works if you work it. I don't recall if there was a limit of space, either, so the four quarters could encompass your house. Or you could repeat the ritual in every room.

This cleansing ritual is much simpler: http://cantrap.net/technique/cleanse.html You could visualize the Ankh glowing in the heart of your tarot deck. Though, I'd just put an agate slice or geode slice on top of the deck for a few moments and be done.

Oh no, I'm not a strict reconstructionist. I'm not even sure I would call myself a reconstructionist at all honestly. I do care about how they did things in antiquity and how I could model after that, but I don't have the space or consistency to do some of the things I've read about. Oh and I don't have a phallus, and I doubt my boyfriend will help me lol thanks, I'll definitely read them though, see what I can do with it. I do have a piece of blue striped agate, as a matter of fact the box I keep the cards in is also full of stones like amethyst, lapis lazuli, sodalite, and citrine. They sit on my shrine. I just feel like the cards don't want to talk to me and that the ghosts don't like them doing so. The ghosts do respond to their names, my grandmother swears at them when they're being mischievous and the mischief will stop. I can't say there might not be other spirits in the house though.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;63505
Oh no, I'm not a strict reconstructionist. I'm not even sure I would call myself a reconstructionist at all honestly. I do care about how they did things in antiquity and how I could model after that, but I don't have the space or consistency to do some of the things I've read about. Oh and I don't have a phallus, and I doubt my boyfriend will help me lol thanks, I'll definitely read them though, see what I can do with it. I do have a piece of blue striped agate, as a matter of fact the box I keep the cards in is also full of stones like amethyst, lapis lazuli, sodalite, and citrine. They sit on my shrine. I just feel like the cards don't want to talk to me and that the ghosts don't like them doing so. The ghosts do respond to their names, my grandmother swears at them when they're being mischievous and the mischief will stop. I can't say there might not be other spirits in the house though.

Female Thelemites do perform the Star Ruby ritual on a regular basis, where the phallus is seen as a symbol of a certain kind of energy, present in everyone regardless of the gender. So, you can use this ritual if you want to... I'd suggest some getting familiarity with the Thelemic cosmology first, though - although the names of Kemetic deities are used, their understanding differs much from the traditional one.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:27 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;63432

I hope that helps!

I have made Mugwort tea and after straining adding it to a bucket of water and wiped the walls/ floor down. Same with White Sage and just salt.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Re: Cleansing Rituals without Smoke/Incense?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:07 am »
I am looking for cleansing rituals that can be used for houses and tarot cards, but they have to be ones that do not include smoke or incense of any kind.

Glitter. I use it all the time for cleansings, welcomings, all that sort of stuff.

It's an old radfae thing.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:09 am »

Well, my gut instinct is to say that if your house is being disrupted by deceased family that don't appreciate you being a practicing non-Christian, then trying to get "rid" of them by using some very non-Christian methods is the absolute most disrespectful thing you could possibly do.

I'd try sitting down and talking with them, first and foremost, and treating them as they were in life. They're people, not pests, and you won't understand what they're trying to tell you if you don't bother to ask.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Cleansing Rituals without Smoke/Incense?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:48 am »
Quote from: Maps;63543
Well, my gut instinct is to say that if your house is being disrupted by deceased family that don't appreciate you being a practicing non-Christian, then trying to get "rid" of them by using some very non-Christian methods is the absolute most disrespectful thing you could possibly do.

I'd try sitting down and talking with them, first and foremost, and treating them as they were in life. They're people, not pests, and you won't understand what they're trying to tell you if you don't bother to ask.

I'd like to point out i said "any suggestions on TALKING to family ghosts." I don't want to get rid of them and never said that. However i do want to cleanse the house, clearing energetic clutter and negativity to be specific. Every family member that's ever lived in this house has a temper and a tendency towards combativeness, including the ghosts. I also don't know if other spirits haunt the walls from the neighbors since it's a row home or even from us. I'm sorry my wording implied i was trying to put my ghosts out, but I'm really not. I just want the house to feel better and for us to get along with our dead at least until i move out.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;63546
I'd like to point out i said "any suggestions on TALKING to family ghosts." I don't want to get rid of them and never said that. However i do want to cleanse the house, clearing energetic clutter and negativity to be specific. Every family member that's ever lived in this house has a temper and a tendency towards combativeness, including the ghosts. I also don't know if other spirits haunt the walls from the neighbors since it's a row home or even from us. I'm sorry my wording implied i was trying to put my ghosts out, but I'm really not. I just want the house to feel better and for us to get along with our dead at least until i move out.

Ah, you said "house spirits" and I read that more as a wight, spirit-of-the-house-itself, sort of thing. Building a relationship with the land wight (or perhaps a Kemetic equivalent; my path has me calling them "landowners", though I also see the house-as-structure as being animate) would probably be a good thing to do anyways, especially if you want an ally in trying to help you establish some sort of equilibrium.

If it's actually conscious parts of your family that are still hanging around, and not just  energy imprints, then that tells me that by virtue of what they are they're going to be okay with you attempting to "contact the dead", even though that may have been taboo to them in life. So in that case, I'd say look up some of the basic tenets of ancestor veneration; meaning, let them know that you're conscious of their continued presence in your life, make an offering (a food they might have liked, or water), and invite them to talk. If they're willing to listen, tell them that they're disruptive and not being particularly helpful to anyone in the house, and that they either need to move on or the relationship needs to change.

Of course there are also more occult approaches to this (divination, mediums, or what have you), and much more what I'd consider sensationalist methods (of course assuming they're truly just well-meaning beloved dead and not something more sinister) of communication and subsequent "dealing with them", but for now a basic, respectful approach might be all you need.

Tags: