collapse

Author Topic: Approaching different deities  (Read 1026 times)

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Approaching different deities
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »
So, I have a newbie question. I have actually found a deity I'm quite interested in, but I honestly have no clue how to approach them. So I was wondering what everyone thinks the best way to introduce yourself to a deity would be, like in general, how would you go about it?

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Approaching different deities
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:14:10 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;63030
So, I have a newbie question. I have actually found a deity I'm quite interested in, but I honestly have no clue how to approach them. So I was wondering what everyone thinks the best way to introduce yourself to a deity would be, like in general, how would you go about it?

You might try introducing yourself to the deity, stating your interest, and then pouring a libation/making a small offering. Then perhaps ask the deity to make it clear if s/he wants you around or not.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Approaching different deities
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:10 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;63030

It depends a bit on the deity, too.
Will it be someone who is used to a more formal approach? Or is it someone who'll be ok with a 'Hi there, care to talk?'

I'd check lore, legends, stories, is the deity still worshipped today, if yes: how?
Find out about them as much as you can.

Then I'd set up a little space with candle, incense and appropriate things, stuff that is associated with the deity in question. A little prayer, or a little 'Here I am, I'd like to build a connection to you' and either you want to meditate and wait for a feeling, or you can ask for a little sign.

Give it time.
Most deities are not sitting there, holding their breathe and wait for a mortal to approach them. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Tags: