collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What don't you feel comfortable going to your gods about?  (Read 6150 times)

Kaisa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
What don't you feel comfortable going to your gods about?
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
One of the hardest transitions for me, when going from a vaguely Jewish worldview (my mother is Jewish and my father is Catholic, so while I knew I was Jewish, it was never really stressed a lot) is not feeling totally comfortable 'talking' to the gods about everything.

When I was younger, I would talk to the Abrahamic God about almost everything; friends, parents, romantic problems. But now, I feel as if that is too frivolous and not specific to the gods I honor now.

So, what subjects do you think are too frivolous and not relevant to your relationship with the gods? Did you have the same trouble adjusting?

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What don't you feel comfortable going to your gods about?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
Quote from: Kaisa;61620
One of the hardest transitions for me, when going from a vaguely Jewish worldview (my mother is Jewish and my father is Catholic, so while I knew I was Jewish, it was never really stressed a lot) is not feeling totally comfortable 'talking' to the gods about everything.

When I was younger, I would talk to the Abrahamic God about almost everything; friends, parents, romantic problems. But now, I feel as if that is too frivolous and not specific to the gods I honor now.

So, what subjects do you think are too frivolous and not relevant to your relationship with the gods? Did you have the same trouble adjusting?

I can relate. Coming from a Christian background it was absolutely normal for me to go to God about everything. Even just short little "Help me, get through this" when I need some added patience. So now I find myself in an odd dilemma because from what I hear, people don't go to their pagan gods in quite the same way.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

Sometimes I can be pretty reserved about what subjects I bring up with a deity. If I feel silly or petty bringing it up, I try not to. In general, if I have a close relationship with a deity, I'll talk about almost anything. For example, more than once I've come to Bast for everything from school to work to relations with my bigoted mother.

And now that I think about it, I also hesitate to talk about something to a deity who doesn't "preside" over that kind of thing. For example, I would hesitate to talk to a deity that presides over thunderstorms about my spousal problems. It seems like, in pagan religions, you've got deities that are specific to certain areas and a lot of people stay within those areas.

It's different depending on what particular path you're on. For example, in Kemeticism, depending on what branch you practice, you go to your "main" or "patron" deities first, no matter what. But so far in Hellenic Paganism, it seems like you go to the right deity. It gets super-specific, too, since historically the Greeks had separate altars to different aspects of the same deity. I don't know about other paths, though.

Yet, patron deities can make all the difference, too. By nature you'd first go to your patron (or matron) for a lot of problems.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »
..So, what subjects do you think are too frivolous and not relevant to your relationship with the gods? Did you have the same trouble adjusting?

Truthfully none.  The biggest thing for me is I may speak to them about everything and anything, the difference being I don't expect them to solve my problem(s) for me.  Sometimes I find just the act of speaking to them is enough to clear my head and get my thoughs around it.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »

I don't ever "talk" to them; petition them for favors and blessings, yes. Try to gain insight on what they want me to do within a tight ritualistic framework and checking most of my personal baggage at the door, yes. Maybe it's the nature of these deities, maybe it's because I get all my communication needs taken care of by my family and friends, but it's probably a combination of both. Different strokes for different folks, really. Not all pagans have even remotely the same kind of relationship with the divine either. I'm sure those who have an intimate, familial-style relationship with their gods probably can do this. As for me, I mostly feel like an intern... and there are just some things that have no place being discussed with your boss. ;)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »
Quote from: Maps;61632
I don't ever "talk" to them; petition them for favors and blessings, yes. Try to gain insight on what they want me to do within a tight ritualistic framework and checking most of my personal baggage at the door, yes. Maybe it's the nature of these deities, maybe it's because I get all my communication needs taken care of by my family and friends, but it's probably a combination of both. Different strokes for different folks, really. Not all pagans have even remotely the same kind of relationship with the divine either. I'm sure those who have an intimate, familial-style relationship with their gods probably can do this. As for me, I mostly feel like an intern... and there are just some things that have no place being discussed with your boss. ;)

This. ^^^ Stated more clearly than what I was trying to say.

The deity himself or herself must make a huge difference. Not all deities have a "warm and cuddly" aspect to them where you can pull up a chair, light a candle and some incense, and talk things out. There are some deities from whom I get this impression: "Feel free to talk if it's something major, and only if you're ready to do something about it."

But then again I could be talking out the wrong end. . .
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »

Pretty much everything. Reading from mythology, the Norse deities have their own problems, agendas, and intrigues. They seem to respect people who help themselves, and don't hold peoples hands. It is rare that they intervene, and then only in dire need, and only if they hear you.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:21:46 pm »

I don't really talk to them about anything. Though, I will bare my soul once in awhile to my ancestors. The nameless ones, mainly. Saves on embarrassment. ;)

I feel closest to Vidar in a prayer type sense I guess. He's the Silent God, and the one that initially drew me into heathenry. There's something comforting about a deity that doesn't speak but who "communicates" myth and personality regardless. It makes words unnecessary. Like someone you can just sit in comfortable silence with and they get it.

All entirely personal feelings regarding him of course, and not based on anything other than that.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:08:44 am »

That's interesting because I'm the reverse: When I was Catholic, I never thought I could talk to God about anything--partly because of self-esteem issues, partly because I got increasingly terrified of the idea that God knew everything that happened or would happen to me, so He'd already decided not to help me for some reason or another. But now that I'm pagan, I talk to the gods about any relevant problems I'm going through.

This may have been why I was always so angry or sad, because I wouldn't talk to humans and I had no spiritual outlet besides my writing (which was always angry, depressing, or escapist).

A lot this is because the gods strong-armed me into accepting that I can even do that in the first place.

Aengus Og was the one who did the most of it, since so much of my issues are related to (self-) love. He also keeps emphasizing that I can talk to him about anything that's bothering me, although he does have limits--I don't talk to him about every tiny detail of the day/week (not that I ever intended to).

But if I need to vent or if something's been on my mind, he's there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:10:12 am by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

GoldenSiren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:43:56 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;61683
That's interesting because I'm the reverse: When I was Catholic, I never thought I could talk to God about anything--partly because of self-esteem issues, partly because I got increasingly terrified of the idea that God knew everything that happened or would happen to me, so He'd already decided not to help me for some reason or another.

This may have been why I was always so angry or sad, because I wouldn't talk to humans and I had no spiritual outlet besides my writing (which was always angry, depressing, or escapist).

^ This is really similar to my own story. I wasn't Catholic, nor did I go to a church regularly. However my family identified with Christianity, and would tell me to "talk to God about it, He will cleanse your sins and get rid of your problems..." or something like that. I could never do that though. Sure, I tried it a couple times, but it just felt very wrong to me and I was also disappointed when my problems weren't solved as I had hoped. Or at all, as it may be (ah, the ideals of being young... ;) ). I always worried about whether I said this right or if he cared or if I should ask about this or or or or.... in other words I would over think about what I should say.

Now, after finding my path and my patron and matron, I still don't talk about my problems! :D: but now, I feel like I don't *have* to explain myself and every little detail. I can just reach out to them, and when I feel their warm reply, full of love and understanding... and realize that they already KNOW about my problems, they saw what happened, and even if *I* was the one screwing up and causing the problem, they still care about me. They take away my pain and help me clear my head so I can fix my own problems, and if they are the kind that can't be fixed and out of my control, then they help make it easier for me to live through it, and do the best I can. All without saying a word.

... that may be one of the main reasons why I love my path, and the pagan gods. They feel so much CLOSER. I don't have to explain myself to them, because I knew they were already there. :)
Déjà Moo
/ˌdāZHä ˈmo͞o/
noun

The feeling that you\'ve already heard this bull before :lub:

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:03:12 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;61630
Truthfully none.  The biggest thing for me is I may speak to them about everything and anything, the difference being I don't expect them to solve my problem(s) for me.  Sometimes I find just the act of speaking to them is enough to clear my head and get my thoughs around it.

This.

However it does depend on the Deity. For me, I will talk about anything with the two I am closest to. But others I don't know so well, I don't go so in depth. I feel incredibly silly if I try actually.

I guess it's like people really, I wouldn't go baring my soul to a complete stranger,  but a close and trusted family member/ friend / spouse / etc .... yes.
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:45 am »

Having been Pagan all my life I am glad to say I have not had any transitional difficulties of the kind that you express, myself,
although I have spoken to many from Chritianity or other faiths who have so I understand where you are coming from.

Having said that, there has been some interesting times during my Pagan path where some Deity has come along, and some Deity has gone as a result..  and I have really had to "mind my P's and Q's...."!
They really don't all get on well together, and I've learned that the hard way...:whis:

I am ALWAYS very guarded about ANY interaction with them, whatever is going on in my world, for I am sure they have better things to do with their time than listen to me, a mere mortal, whittering on and on...  I mean, you wouldn't dare bitch about your fella's bad habits or complain about your spotty complexion with somebody like Queen Elizabeth, or President Obama would you?

It depends on which ones it is as to how I interact with them for I find they have their own ways of making me understand what's ok and what isn't.  
For instance, I have Neith issuing orders at me from time to time, and I just comply, for I know to argue with Her or even to ignor Her would be sheer folly and lead to no good for me at all, Her wrath would sting like a ton of hot bricks crashing down on my head...  
while Ganesh is like a favourite Uncle... offer Him a Bounty bar, and he's like putty in your hands ;)  and I admit I take this for granted and ask for His help quite often...  where I wouldn't dare ask Neith for anything... ever...:eek:

Very rare I talk to them about personal stuff, usually it's for a third party when I'm trying to help solve a problem... or even more rare, when I am trying to speed up karma for a wrong doing... ;)

I don't think I've ever felt comfortable speaking to them about any thing, and I have to say I doubt I ever will...
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »
Quote from: GoldenSiren;61685
^ This is really similar to my own story. I wasn't Catholic, nor did I go to a church regularly. However my family identified with Christianity, and would tell me to "talk to God about it, He will cleanse your sins and get rid of your problems..."

For my family, it was "we need to go to church every week because if you don't, God will leave us." And I just kept thinking: If God leaves just because we don't go to church every week, why should I believe he'll help me when I ask him?

The whole "God is forgiving" mentality just made me feel WORSE. In theory it sounds like "No matter what you screw up, God will help you," which was no doubt the intent. But in practice for me, it always felt like "No matter what you screw up, God will help you--and we were all born with Original Sin since we left Eden, so it's really a matter of how much you've screwed up."

The Morrigan and Aengus had to keep drilling into my head that I don't need to apologize if I haven't done anything wrong. When I was still apologizing for taking his time up, Aengus kept reminding me that time is WAY different for gods than humans--so an hour-long "talk" for me is nowhere near as long for him, and he's probably helping out a dozen others at the same time.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

ryman19

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:45:15 am »

i actually had the opposite problem. i grew up in a partly non-denominational partly baptist family. and i never talked to god about anything in my life. i thought talking to god was for repenting of asking for something. i never saw him as a deity that cared about my daily life, but once i came to paganism one of my favorite parts was my nightly devotionals, which i sadly do not do anymore and wish to start again, i would light some candles and just sit and talk with the goddess go through my day say what i was thankful for say what annoyed me. i felt like she was and is always there to listen to me. it really affirms my beliefs and the feeling of home i got when coming to paganism

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
What don't you feel comfortable going to your gods about?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »
Quote from: MoonCrone;61691
while Ganesh is like a favourite Uncle... offer Him a Bounty bar, and he's like putty in your hands ;)  and I admit I take this for granted and ask for His help quite often...

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean this statement to come across in the manner I'm reading it; it appears to declare that Ganesha can be manipulated into doing what you want by dangling chocolate in front of Him.

The gods I worship are by no means perfect, but They won't be led by the nose (or trunk).
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: