Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Resources on Folk Magic, Earth Magic, etc.?  (Read 5321 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Resources on Folk Magic, Earth Magic, etc.?
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
I'm pretty sure this question has come up before, but I'm having a lot of trouble searching using Tapatalk.  That, combined with the large number of new posters who have recently joined TC, is encouraging me to go ahead and post this anyway.

I'm looking for good, solid resources on folk magic and its origins, particularly things like charms and other actions/objects/words that might now be considered "superstition", rather than actual spells or rituals. I understand that is a fine and subjective line -- something I might call a "charm" could easily be considered a spell by someone else.  

I'm thinking of the simple and fundamental things that get passed down, like pouring out a bit of the first milk to keep certain entities happy, using a rose quartz point to draw love, cleansing a room/building with sage, protecting your home by burying charged objects at the for corners of your property to create a shield, even things like knocking/touching wood to prevent jinxes.  

I guess simplicity would be one defining factor in the type of thing I'm interested in. If that makes sense...

And I'm particularly looking for resources that discuss the reasons behind the action and/or the origins of it.

So, any favorite books/sites on folk magic, earth magic, maybe hedge witchcraft, etc.?

Thanks!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Resources on Folk Magic, Earth Magic, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:31:35 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;60543

So, any favorite books/sites on folk magic, earth magic, maybe hedge witchcraft, etc.?

Thanks!

~ Aster

Sorry! Most of my resources were people and their cookbooks, sewing and conversation. There is a book I am going to try to find at the library: Mountain Magick.

Monsnoleedra will hopefully come by and have some sites or books for you.

I have mixed feelings about the folk magic I grew up with and have not found any resources that explain it precisely. There are commonalities with granny magick, but there are also commonalities with wicca, and even some eastern thought.  

While I may not be able to point you at a book or site, I can, if you like, tap out a bit of what I know of some basics. But that'd be all unverifiable stuff. I won't be hurt if it is not called for. I don't want to waste your time if it isn't the kind of thing your looking for.

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:50 pm »

You may want to look into The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home by Cunningham and Harrington.  The book is essentially a number of folk practices, charms and mini-rituals focused on the home.  The techniques within are drawn from all over the world.  While I recall the authors occasionally mentioning which culture or part of the world a practice was found in I don't recall them going into much detail on how the technique developed.

It's been awhile since I've read the book but I have certain pages bookmarked and have used a few of the techniques.  Personally, I like that the techniques are simple and easy.  They provide for a wonderful springboard to develop your own practices out of them.
Reality is but perception.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:13 pm »

I guess simplicity would be one defining factor in the type of thing I'm interested in. If that makes sense...

And I'm particularly looking for resources that discuss the reasons behind the action and/or the origins of it.

~ Aster

Judilka Illes's book Encylopedia of 5000 Spells is a great resource for the techniques in different areas of folk magic from all around the world.  This book does not have an index (This is a pet peeve of mine.  For a resource book, I'd like to be able to find something easily, not guess which page number it's on).
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:35:14 am »
Quote from: SatAset;60574

Thanks for the book suggestions, everyone!  I've found nice, cheap copies on Amazon.

Does anyone have an opinion about Cunningham's _Earth Magic_?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:23 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;60599
I like that one rather well.  You'll read through it an about an hour.  There are some sample elementary (ahem) spells that are quite easy to do-- mostly with 'found' materials (a leaf, a penny, a pebble....)  He did a follow up to Earth Power called Earth, Air, Fire, and Water; pretty much more stuff in the same vein, but also good.  
I also add a ditto for Magical Household.  Some spells but lots of info on folk traditions which should help spark creativity.  He could have done the whole book on folk traditions imho-- hell, a whole encyclopedia even-- that stuff is incredibly fascinating.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:39:00 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »
Thanks for the book suggestions, everyone!  I've found nice, cheap copies on Amazon.

Just so you know, Judilka Illes's the Element Encyclopeida of 5000 Spells was republished under the title the Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells (this is the one I have).
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;60638
Just so you know, Judilka Illes's the Element Encyclopeida of 5000 Spells was republished under the title the Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells (this is the one I have).

Yes, me too. Pretty awesome book btw.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:46 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;60638

What happened to the other 4000 spells?  :confused:

I looked Illes up on Amazon and see that she has a number of books that sound similar.  I understand about the 2 mentioned in the quote above, but does anyone know anything about her other books?  Is there a lot of overlap, or are they complementary?  Or is it just the same stuff re-packaged over and over?

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »

I actually just finished this book day before yesterday, and I loved it. Admittedly, it doesn't have as much in-depth information about the cultural influences of spells/charms/etc. as I think you're looking for, but it does have some.

What it does have, in abundance, are spells and techniques and ideas about the everyday things you find in the natural world. And the bibliography is quite useful too. I would definitely recommend it.  :)

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;60601
I like that one rather well.  You'll read through it an about an hour.  There are some sample elementary (ahem) spells that are quite easy to do-- mostly with 'found' materials (a leaf, a penny, a pebble....)  He did a follow up to Earth Power called Earth, Air, Fire, and Water; pretty much more stuff in the same vein, but also good.  
I also add a ditto for Magical Household.  Some spells but lots of info on folk traditions which should help spark creativity.  He could have done the whole book on folk traditions imho-- hell, a whole encyclopedia even-- that stuff is incredibly fascinating.

Thanks for mentioning these. I'm gonna have to check them out.  :)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:14:22 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;60735
Thanks for mentioning these. I'm gonna have to check them out.  :)

You're welcome!  :)
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:04:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure this question has come up before, but I'm having a lot of trouble searching using Tapatalk.  That, combined with the large number of new posters who have recently joined TC, is encouraging me to go ahead and post this anyway.

I'm looking for good, solid resources on folk magic and its origins, particularly things like charms and other actions/objects/words that might now be considered "superstition", rather than actual spells or rituals. I understand that is a fine and subjective line -- something I might call a "charm" could easily be considered a spell by someone else.  

I'm thinking of the simple and fundamental things that get passed down, like pouring out a bit of the first milk to keep certain entities happy, using a rose quartz point to draw love, cleansing a room/building with sage, protecting your home by burying charged objects at the for corners of your property to create a shield, even things like knocking/touching wood to prevent jinxes.  

Thanks!

~ Aster

At http://www.sacred-texts.com use their search box type in folk magic.
the http://www.lucky-mojo.com/ has also texts on folk magick
the Cunningham books are very readable
Llewellyn publishers have books on folk magick browse sample pages at Amazon.
Encyclopedia of Natural Magic- J.M. Greer  (also published as Natural Magic) I have both, that is my favorite book.:)
lots of info also at http://www.alchemy-works.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:05:30 pm by Nerys53 »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:10:06 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;60689
What happened to the other 4000 spells?  :confused:

I looked Illes up on Amazon and see that she has a number of books that sound similar.  I understand about the 2 mentioned in the quote above, but does anyone know anything about her other books?  Is there a lot of overlap, or are they complementary?  Or is it just the same stuff re-packaged over and over?

The 1000 is a smaller book. I had the small one and gifted it off when I got the jumbo one.

I have a few of her others, and there is definitely some overlap. Honestly I'd get the 5000 one and not bother with the others unless you got a chance to flip through em.

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »

Thanks!

~ Aster

For a culturally specific one, there's: Legends, Charms and Superstitions of Ireland by
Lady Wilde

Then there's the one that is incredibly dubious as far as authenticity and historical accuracy goes, but that I found a lot of stuff in that I like: West Country Wicca: A Journal of the Old Religion by Rhiannon Ryall

And this: Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft by Ann Moura, which I really love.

I have a section in my BoS of stuff that my family told me when I was a kid, but a) it's mostly common stuff (seeing the first robin of the year means it's spring) and b) I have know idea where they originated. It's just a bunch of nature sayings, some based on psuedo-science, some on the seasons, and some that have no clear reasoning behind them that I can tell.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Tags: