Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Why Did You Take The Path You Took?  (Read 8018 times)

StudiodeKadent

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Why Did You Take The Path You Took?
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
Sorry for the bad title.

Anyway, I have a question. What drew you into your current religious paths?

What is it about your current religion that appeals to you?

Why, out of all the religions avaliable, did you pick the one you picked?

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to judge anyone's reasons. One's spiritual/philosophical/religious/etc. beliefs are an intensely personal matter. I'm simply curious as to why the individuals on this forum took the paths they did.

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Why Did You Take The Path You Took?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:44 pm »
Quote from: StudiodeKadent;60381
Sorry for the bad title.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to judge anyone's reasons. One's spiritual/philosophical/religious/etc. beliefs are an intensely personal matter. I'm simply curious as to why the individuals on this forum took the paths they did.

For me it was all about connectivity and balance; the idea of an energy that flows thru us all and keeping that energy balanced. These were concepts I had always believed in, but I didn't know there was an organized (even if loosely) religion or path that also centered about these things. So I just went looking. And I came up with Wicca. Since then (that was many years ago) my philosophy and outlook have expanded and shifted a little bit, I encompass more now, but those beliefs are still held very central to me.

Amethyst

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:17:33 am »

Personally, I don't see it as choosing/taking a path. I just see it as what happened. So much of my childhood was structured around the Christian idea of not sinning that in this case I literally just follow what feels right. It's very liberating.

I also had certain beliefs that I developed on my own, outside of any religion. They didn't fit with Wicca, and even if they don't all strictly fit with Druidry, the Druidic path is a lot more lenient (I've found) about varying ideas. I wouldn't say I picked this religion - it worked with what I believe, with what I'm not going to change. Although I may add a Buddhist element in at some point, as that's something I've long been interested in.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Why Did You Take The Path You Took?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:42:12 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

I started out Neo-Wiccan. It was what I could find in the bookstore that matched best with what I believed. From there on out, I adopted Techno-Pagan practices first, before turning to hedge- and kitchen witchery. I enjoyed all those paths and eventually found a mixture that worked in the Eclectic Religious Witchcraft Tradition I was initiated into. This is about twelve years worth of practice.

A very short while ago, I finally took the leap to do what I've been wanting to do for a long, long time; convert to Hellenismos, Greek Reconstructionism. I've always felt most at home in this pantheon and I started to feel I was doing the Greek Gods a disservice by forcing them into rituals with Circles and Elementals and Athame's. I wanted to honor Them as They want to be honored, and no longer in the way that was convenient and familiar to me. And so I turned my entire religious practice around and it's the best decision I have ever made.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Malia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:30:24 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

Anyway, I have a question. What drew you into your current religious path?

1. Desperation to escape depression, initially. I wasn't depressed to the point of considering suicide, but I was tired of being emotionally unstable, and I didn't want suicidal thoughts added to the mix. So I started researching Paganism in February and felt drawn towards the Celtic pantheon, and took up Druidry as a result.

2. Where to begin… Well, the mythology alone is full of beautiful stories, clever metaphors, and hidden lessons; the puzzle-like qualities appeal to me as a result of my taste in music. I love that I can interact with deities who respond to me, encourage me, make Themselves known. I enjoy being sensitive to things I could never perceive before. I like the spiritual tones that Druidry applies to nature, the symbolism. The concepts of the Otherworld and reincarnation make harmonize perfectly with my personal philosophy.

3. I felt more drawn to Druidry than anything else because it seemed simple. Wicca, for instance, is this huge clusterflock of accepted pantheons, customs, and covens, among other things; the variety overwhelmed me, to say the least. Besides, having Irish and British ancestors, I felt a personal connection with Druidry.

StudiodeKadent

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:50:22 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;60383

Quote from: Amethyst;60407

Quote from: Malia;60425

Quote from: Elani Temperance;60410

Just wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences. I greatly appreciate it and hope to hear from others too.

My gratitude.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:10:59 am by SunflowerP »

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 05:13:26 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

Not sure I had any real choice in the matter.

Having being in denial for more years than I care to mention it was a chance remark from my daughter that hit home. Once that had happened the die was cast and there was no going back.

Since then I've gone where it takes me and just enjoyed the ride rather than agonise over where I am going - although I have just received a "map" for the next year or so from a rather unexpected source.  I have deliberately not spent hours trying to define my religion and practice which is why I use the simple label gwrach ( witch) here. It says everything and nothing.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 06:46:03 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

To be honest, I didn't really choose it. I just started reading about the Aztecs. Then I read a little more, then a lot more. I then studies Aztec philosophy and religion. At some point I realised that I had 'gone native'.

Personally Aztec philosophy and religion appeals to me because of a large variety of reasons, and I couldn't go through them all. The thing that impresses me most about Aztec religion and society is how the Aztecs were able to create a functioning and effective moral system without resorting to the use of 'good vs evil' terminology and the emphasis on personal discipline and a balance between self moderation and enjoyment of life.

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 06:48:22 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

I am a free-thinker, open to new things at all times, forever seeking, never taking things for granted or setting things "in stone"... that's why I am a mix-and-match eclectic Pagan.
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
Sorry for the bad title.

Sheer chance for Kemeticism, an apparent calling from Athena (and maybe Zeus) for the Hellenic path I'm poking at right now.

In the case of Kemeticism, it was more like Bast came around and said, "okay, since Asatru didn't work for you, come over our way." In the case of Hellenic paganism, it was more of a draw I felt, tried to resist, then followed once I realized that maybe there's something important to explore.

I love the complexity of Kemeticism. I also like the symbolism and use of mythological context. Also, the Netjer have been truly gracious to me. If I were in their position, I probably already would have punched myself in the face.

I very much like the concept of piety and practice in Hellenic paganism, at least so far.

I didn't pick Kemeticism, not right away. It took me about a year to decide that yeah, this works. Bast picked me up and dusted me off after my adventures in Asatru. (Anpu has always been around, too, but I not as much as Bast, I think, and he's definitely a quiet deity.) I started worshipping Bast, explored the culture surrounding her more, and fell in love with the religion. Later, I started worshipping Anpu as well, and feel it's about time to start worshipping more Netjeru.

If I start practicing Hellenic paganism, which I might, you could even say I didn't pick this path. Though I felt a draw, I resisted and it was Athena (specifically) who brought me here.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:38:59 pm »
Sorry for the bad title.

My story more or less lines up with Rob's--which is appropriate, considering we're both following similar cultures--but my initial interest was from an art research perspective (illustrator and cartoonist who was studying for application in a graphic novel's art and story) and a "roots" sort of thing. My grandmother is a second generation Mexican immigrant, and my grandfather is first gen.

I originally started off with neo-wicca about 10 years ago, only to find that the various traditions based on western magic stuff didn't actually do anything for me. If I'd found the right coven and got myself initiated, who knows, maybe I would have stuck with it? But I think the whole turning out genderqueer and asexual would have interfered with my ability to truly appreciate the mysteries of a fertility cult.

Abduzza

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »
Sorry for the bad title.

I came to my faith through my interest in the Middle East which led me to Sufism, as well as my fascination with Aleister Crowley and Thelema. I guess my Arabic neo-pagan faith is a combination of mystical Islam and Thelemic/Wiccan pre-Islamic Godforms. There are so many strange words in that last sentence haha.

StudiodeKadent

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »
Just want to thank everyone that has replied since my last "thank you everyone" post.

Quote from: Maps;60510
I originally started off with neo-wicca about 10 years ago, only to find that the various traditions based on western magic stuff didn't actually do anything for me. If I'd found the right coven and got myself initiated, who knows, maybe I would have stuck with it? But I think the whole turning out genderqueer and asexual would have interfered with my ability to truly appreciate the mysteries of a fertility cult.

I can see why. I know Wicca and its derivatives have a rather large following amongst nonheterosexuals (a Pagan friend of mine included), although it does seem somewhat puzzling given that Wicca does, from what I know, build its very metaphysics upon a foundation of gender essentialism and what we might call a 'cosmic' heterosexuality (note: I am not bashing Wicca! Just making an observation of an apparent paradox (yes, I know many nonheterosexual Wiccans make certain modifications to broaden things out somewhat, and I'm not criticizing that either)).

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 02:54:58 pm »
Quote from: StudiodeKadent;60525
I can see why. I know Wicca and its derivatives have a rather large following amongst nonheterosexuals (a Pagan friend of mine included), although it does seem somewhat puzzling given that Wicca does, from what I know, build its very metaphysics upon a foundation of gender essentialism and what we might call a 'cosmic' heterosexuality (note: I am not bashing Wicca! Just making an observation of an apparent paradox (yes, I know many nonheterosexual Wiccans make certain modifications to broaden things out somewhat, and I'm not criticizing that either)).

It might not be that difficult of a stretch, given that most of us know how to get along just fine and even embrace the greater heteronormative world? I'm sure philosophical modifications are quite necessary for most, though, so serious props and kudos for those who have figured out how to make it work for them. Don't think I could.

Which is funny coming from someone who is attempting to reconstruct many lost tenets and practices of a religion and culture obscured by history, where this is common also. Dualism provides the foundation for almost the entirety of Mesoamerican thought, complete with a sort of emphasis on binary gender, but for some reason it's much more palatable to me, and much easier to compartmentalize so that I can extract teachings that are relevant to me. I suppose it's easier because this cosmic dualism is not the true face of nature and divinity, but rather how it often manifests in the physical world, so that's easy for me to deconstruct and reform to allow for a third "other" option, I guess.

As a creative type, it's amazingly comforting to know that the ultimate creative force in and behind the universe probably has no concept of any of this.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:57:49 pm by Maps »

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
Sorry for the bad title.

Simply put, christianity did not appeal to me, though I was raised christian. I studied various non christian religions and did not find a good fit. One day a co-worker mentioned Asatru. I stated to look into it, and it spoke to me right away. Since I have found out that a large part of my heritage is Germanic, so maybe that is why those Gods appeal to me.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Tags: