Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Did you choose your Pantheon?  (Read 9589 times)

Ask-Embla

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Did you choose your Pantheon?
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »
Assuming most of you weren't born into the religion your currently practice, how did you find your gods? Was it a long thought, heavily researched decision, or just a logical "what else?" If you are eclectic, how do you juggle systems of deities from so many different cultures?
Be kind to little animals / whatever sort they be / and give a stranded jellyfish / a shove into the sea.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Re: Did you choose your Pantheon?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:59:06 pm »
Quote from: Ask-Embla;59878
Assuming most of you weren't born into the religion your currently practice, how did you find your gods? Was it a long thought, heavily researched decision, or just a logical "what else?" If you are eclectic, how do you juggle systems of deities from so many different cultures?

I quite recently converted to Hellenismos after almost 12 years of practicing Eclectic Religious Witchcraft. I could write a 50 page essay on the subject but I'll refer you to my blog (as listed in signature) for the base of it.

When I was still Eclectic, I chose to honor and worship those Gods and Goddesses that spoke to me. Save one, they were all from the Greek pantheon. I eventually realized I felt like I was offending the Gods by forcing them in a Neo-Wiccanish framework and eventually took the steps necessary to convert to Hellenismos, which took no effort at all and has been a revelation.

It feels like I've been Hellenic for years but in truth, it's only been about a week. Like I said, more on my blog.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »

After I left Asatru (or "was pushed out" is more accurate a phrase, but not quite the right connotation), Bast and Anpu were just. . . there. They've been there for ten years, but a year and a half ago was the first time I realized it. After that, I got pulled into the Kemetic religion and fell in love with the pantheon despite my reservations. I've been a really lousy Kemetic for about a year and a half now, but didn't consider myself a "true" Kemetic until about two months ago.

It was something I had to think about for a long time. A lot of people research heavily, then get drawn into a religion. I got drawn into a religion, then I researched before deciding I fit in, at least for now. Lol.

I've felt a pull from Athena and Zeus several times in the past six months and Hellenic reconstructionism interests me but, to be honest, I'm a one pantheon kind of gal and I can no longer see fitting into another religion. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:21:05 pm by Shine »
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:10 pm »
Quote from: Shine;59890
After that, I got pulled into the Kemetic religion and fell in love with the pantheon despite my reservations.

I've felt a pull from Athena and Zeus several times in the past six months and Hellenic reconstructionism interests me but, to be honest, I'm a one pantheon kind of gal and I can no longer see fitting into another religion. :)

Have you heard of Neos Alexandria?  It's a Egyptian/Hellenic syncretist group.  http://www.neosalexandria.org/
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »
If you are eclectic, how do you juggle systems of deities from so many different cultures?

I've been interested in Aset/Isis since I was nine years old after getting a necklace with an Aset pendant on it and a book about Egyptian gods.  

Oya showed up unexpectedly when I was in college.  Frigga showed up a few years ago.  

I honor Aset and the other Kemetic gods most days.  

I honor Oya once a week on her holy day.

I honor Frigga on Friday since Friday means "Frigga's day".
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;59905
Have you heard of Neos Alexandria?  It's a Egyptian/Hellenic syncretist group.  http://www.neosalexandria.org/

I have heard of it, even though I forgot it existed. The problem is I don't want to stray out of the Kemetic pantheon right now. Maybe someday.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:58 pm »

I was always interested in the Kemetic Gods, so it was a natural fit for me to begin practicing there. Then it was just following whichever Gods called to me. Most have been Kemetic, but I've got interests in Gods from other pantheons as well.

Aset/Isis definitely came first though, about twelve years ago. I'm still not sure what brought me to Her, but She was the first I honoured, and She's been the main driving force behind my Kemetic path.

My relationship with Djehuty was more 'I'm a writer, so I should talk to Djehuty'. And it went from there.

As for Sobek, well, I always loved crocodiles, and eventually, He showed up and we've been inseparable ever since.

I also honour Amun, Wesir, Heru-sa-Aset, Ganesha, Hekate, the Mousai Titanides, Mary, Kwan Yin and Yemaya. I'm in the process of rebuilding my path again, and it's that juggling other pantheons, particularly with all these non-Kemetic Gods claiming my attention, that's becoming something I need to manage. I've looked at Neos Alexandria (NA) too, as a Kemetic/Hellenic syncreticism, but it's not really my thing. It needs moar Roman in there, because Isis keeps calling me to Her Roman worship, not Her Greek worship, so I've ended up with this Graeco-Roman Egyptian syncretic thing I'm meant to be figuring out. I look at NA more as an example of how I might syncretise this path, more than 'this is a path I should practice'. Though I'm still a long way from being done.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »

Although I wasn't raised in my current religion, I still stumbled onto it early - I was looking up information at 13/14, was comfortably calling myself pagan at 14/15, and was called by Brighid at 16 and the horned guy at 17 (I'm 24 now). I also had experiences with Coyote when I was even younger, though I kept telling him to take a hike until a few years ago.

Because I was so young at the time, 'finding' my gods involved some amount of research (I've always been a nerd) but also a fair amount of stumbling around in the dark until I bumped into the right things. Being called by two gods (and bothered by a third) also made a difference - I would have probably focused more on research to start with if nobody had smacked me upside the head, but because I was I started with the smack and then moved onto the research.

So, to answer you: a little bit of research, some pure bumbling luck, and being godbothered.

Also, since the two gods I belong to (Brighid and the horned guy) come from the same area (if not the same pantheon, since 7 years later I still don't know the horned guy's name), I don't have too much juggling to do. I'm eclectic, but it's an eclecticism firmly based in Celtic research.

Coyote is another thing entirely - I don't exactly worship or work with or belong to him, he's just there. I've done a lot of research about him, but because of the nature of our relationship and because I don't want to appropriate the cultures he's associated with, what offerings I give him/what work I do with him involves a lot of UPG. I don't find that his involvement in my life means I have to juggle that with my dedication to Brighid and the horned guy, in any case. It's a separate issue.

I also work with Persephone but, again, I don't feel like it involves having to weight working with her vs working with my other gods. My relationship with her a purely working relationship - I give her offerings and do her work, she teaches me what I need to learn, and at the end of it we'll go our separate ways. Again - lots of research, a good dash of UPG, but because my relationship is with her (and is very specific), I don't feel the need to weigh the Hellenic worldview vs the Celtic one, or other issues that might come up if my patrons were from two very different pantheons.

(I hope all that made sense, I'm running on zero energy and way too many days of work in a row.)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:11 am »

I mainly work with Hermes, though in younger days, I dabbled in cajun vodoo (born into that faith), and from there, I went on to wicca from age 12 to around 17.  
Hermes first contacted me around that time, and I began to research him then.  It was only after fully opening myself to his presence that I realized Hermes had been there all along. I just had been too caught up in my rituals to listen.
I've continued my research throughout the years, as I built my relationship with Hermes into what it is today.  It is not always easy to please him, but I do my best.  He is very understanding though, as long as you make an effort.  Sometimes I am unable to take my daily walk for him, and when this happens, I offer money, and beer, and write to him.  I have also recently collected enough stones whilst walking to complete my second Herm of Graditude for him.

Persephone I have only recently began to work with. Or rather she came to me that is.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »
Assuming most of you weren't born into the religion your currently practice, how did you find your gods? Was it a long thought, heavily researched decision, or just a logical "what else?"

Much thought, heavy research, and hard decisions.

I approached the culture and anthropology from a completely irreligious perspective more than 2 years ago, while studying for my graphic novel. Last summer it just kind of hit me-- I was craving religious again, after stepping away from what I called "Wicca" several years prior, and was looking into actual Wicca again because that's what I was familiar with. Nothing stuck, so I branched out a bit into ceremonial magic and esotericism, and that didn't stick either. But hey, here I was, studying the heck out of Mesoamerican art and falling head over heels for it.

Maybe, just maybe...?

So I pretty much said "f--- it", and dove in. Learned the gods, the absolute most rudimentary of basics about the religion, picked someone that caught my eye, and said a prayer one night. A LOT has happened since then though, as well as some pretty amazing two-way interaction, as well as a little direction on how to property observe them because a lot has just simply been lost to time and the conquest.

Since then I've found that in addition to zeroing in on a pantheon, I've had to figure out what time period and geographical region to focus on as well, otherwise it gets as complicated and overwhelming as trying to worship all the incarnations of the Greek gods from every island and every era. I think I'm settling down into the Late Classic, lowland, Northern Yucatan style of religion (Mayapan/Puuc regions), as it also has some syncretism with Aztec religious elements--Nahua spiritual thought fills in some of those gaps in my practice.

Shit be complicated, yo.

Rhoanna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »

It depends on the deity. Athena was on an impulse, about ten years ago. I don't remember what the circumstances were, but she always struck me as one of the more appealing deities in Greek mythology. Flidais, on the hand, found me, although it took a bit to figure out it was her.

In both cases, I've gradually branched out to other deities in those pantheons, making prayers or offerings as the need or desire arises. But Athena and Flidhais are the only ones I have ongoing relationships with. (There's also the Christian deity, in various forms, but that's largely separate.) I don't have too much trouble juggling the two pantheons; this is a combination of not being particularly active in my practice, not being particularly reconstructionist, and only have two/three deities I feel ongoing obligations towards.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »

I went with ethos and fundamental metaphysical system and then asked the various Powers if they came from that town.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Ask-Embla

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;59907
I've been interested in Aset/Isis since I was nine years old after getting a necklace with an Aset pendant on it and a book about Egyptian gods.  

Oya showed up unexpectedly when I was in college.  Frigga showed up a few years ago.  

I honor Aset and the other Kemetic gods most days.  

I honor Oya once a week on her holy day.

I honor Frigga on Friday since Friday means "Frigga's day".

Interesting. Do you honor them the same way, in the same place? Or are they completey seperate processes, wholly unrelated to each other?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:09:23 pm by Ask-Embla »
Be kind to little animals / whatever sort they be / and give a stranded jellyfish / a shove into the sea.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
Assuming most of you weren't born into the religion your currently practice, how did you find your gods?

Athena found me and the Greek pantheon came with her. However, this was not an immediate thing, I was a "seeker" for years before this happened.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Did you choose your Pantheon?
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;60110
Athena found me and the Greek pantheon came with her. However, this was not an immediate thing, I was a "seeker" for years before this happened.

This is similar to what happened to me.  Sekhmet arrived and Kemeticism (and its pantheon) followed.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: