Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: "Single Draw" Readings  (Read 2204 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
"Single Draw" Readings
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:45:59 am »
I know a lot of people do daily or otherwise-regular "single draw" readings, and I'm interested in learning more about how people use them.

If you use or have used this method:

* How do/did you do it?  

* What divination tool do you prefer for this use (i.e., tarot, ogam, I Ching, runes,.oracle decks, etc.) and why?  

*  How do you apply a single draw to your day or life or whatever?

* Any other thoughts about this method?

Thanks!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: "Single Draw" Readings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:14:37 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;58730
I know a lot of people do daily or otherwise-regular "single draw" readings, and I'm interested in learning more about how people use them.

* How do/did you do it?  

* What divination tool do you prefer for this use (i.e., tarot, ogam, I Ching, runes,.oracle decks, etc.) and why?  

Thanks!

~ Aster

I find a single draw especially helpful as a daily card.
Just for taking a look into the energy the day ahead brings.

For more complicated matters, I think, one card is often not enough.

I prefer Tarot and other oracle cards for this.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »

* How do/did you do it?  

Thanks!

~ Aster

For tarot I use a single draw to get a feel for something about the immediate future. Or I ask for what I should focus on in order to have the best outcome for the day. I focus on the card and possible reversals and almost always I notice that it has helped me to prepare mentally to handle what comes in the day. I only use the app at work for these but just cut and draw from a deck at home.

For Runes, as they are still new to me (2-3 years), I use single draws more for internal work because I want to understand them better. I ask them to give me appropriate contemplation for a day or a set of days. Draw one and then focus on the complexities of meanings that rune has and try to see where it is in play in my sphere of reference. So the single draws there are more a continued learning for me. I do not use these at work.

For I Ching a single draw would be more a matter of stichomancy - turning to a page. It functions to take me out of the sphere of reference for long enough to contemplate the page and where I stand in regards to whatever issue has arisen. It typically inspires me to think of good questions to ask more than acting as an augury for any specific event.

I'll do stichomancy with different books frequently and they function like a single draw type thing. Different books offer different kinds of perspectives. I have a set of books (mostly sacred texts) on my desk at work that are used throughout the year. Lots of hands on them. Lots of energies. I want a reading from a book that has absorbed or been exposed to the environment in which my questions apply. I do not shield them. I do keep a hefty chunk of rose quartz on top of them though. How I do it changes with the circumstances I am in.

Single draws are things I use most during the school year because they require less time and allow for a more focused contemplation on a single topic without the complication of dignities or relationships to other cards, stones or words. I enjoy that but it is not a realistic fit into what are usually very hectic days. I use them 3-5 times a week and usually only one a day.

Additional benefit to single draws is that they require me to quickly step out of myself and whatever tizzy or funk or glee I might be in and look at things dispassionately, analytically. This has been a very helpful tool as to be effective in what I do, I need to be free of my own baggage in order to deal with that of many others. If the meanings never applied at all, this alone would be worth the effort IMO. Other than Runes, my questions for single draws are not about myself except in how I may function as the best tool to help others.

In the off season and on holidays, I ask different questions, and other than stich, do not typically do single draws much.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »

* How do/did you do it?  

Thanks!

~ Aster

I do a single draw in the mornings before work.

I am just asking for a little insight into my day.

I'm fairly new to tarot, so I try and log the card and anything that I thought had to do with it during the day.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:30 am »

* How do/did you do it?  

Thanks!

~ Aster

I use tarot cards for this. I do a daily draw to get an idea of the tone or energy level for the day, and to see if there is anything in particular I should be on the look-out for.  I've started posting card scans and brief commentary on my Facebook page, as a way to gently tweak my friends and family, some of whom are fundamentalist Christians ("OMG, is that a PENTAGRAM?!!!!") :dwink:, but also in hope that some of the more open-minded ones (the younger ones, obviously) might be inspired to ask some questions about it.
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:26 am »

How do/did you do it?  
When I was starting to learn the symbols and systems, they were more like... well, flash cards. I shuffle and pick, and try to strain for what I remember from it.

Now that I'm more familiar with the system, I try to pick the "right" one... I've explored how my psychic senses work with it, should I sense a "glow" or a magnetic "pull"? I noticed that these sensations would hover around respective different cards, and that the cards drawn following the "pull" would be more applicable than the "glowy" ones. Then multiple cards would have different qualities of magnetic pull.

I kid you not, I now choose the card based on how close it psychically "tastes" to... dark chocolate. That's the best way I can describe how I pick.

What divination tool do you prefer for this use (i.e., tarot, ogam, I Ching, runes,.oracle decks, etc.) and why?  

Oracle decks are too static to me. With something like the tarot that has built a lot of association and correspondents in a cohesive system, I made myself quite comfy there.

I tried out the Elder Futhark runes before, and perhaps I'll return to the study of them again one day. The way I am now, though... I just couldn't grasp whatever wisdom was there.

How do you apply a single draw to your day or life or whatever?
If there's a general message, or an immediate message, that I want about a specific issue... actually, I tend to go for spreads. Even a three-card spread. Just one isn't enough. I treated the runes the same way, after I'd gotten them memorized, I would always draw at least three.

Sometimes, though, because as I mentioned I draw what I'm drawn to drawing... and only one card seems to "volunteer" itself, when I expected to do a spread. Without the dynamic of another card's quality to bounce off of, I really have to strain to get through the doorway that the one card provides to its message. So, those are my single draws now-- nothing that I consciously decide to do.

Except for this one meditation, that I do fairly regularly: choose one tarot card to focus on during a meditation, where use my imagination to enter that card. Those journeys have been quite trippy.

Any other thoughts about this method?
Runes would probably be more convenient for single draws. Most tarot cards are huge.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: