collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Silk for Tarot Decks?  (Read 4650 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Silk for Tarot Decks?
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:13:52 pm »
I've read many places that Tarot and other oracle cards should be stored wrapped in silk.

I've always wondered:  Why?  What's special about silk?

Do you do this?  If so, what effects have you noticed?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:08:56 am by RandallS »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Silk?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;58316
I've read many places that Tarot and other oracle cards should be stored wrapped in silk.

I store mine in silk to block them.  I find that silk blocks perception better than most materials and even acts as a wick to take away built-up energy.  I usually wrap them in silk and put them in a wooden box between readings.

I leave them completely open and unwrapped if I want to drain all acquired energies from them, like after a really sticky client, but most of the time I just want to prevent them from absorbing things while at rest.  Warmer materials than silk don't seem to work for me.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Caroline

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:27:11 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;58319
I store mine in silk to block them.  I find that silk blocks perception better than most materials and even acts as a wick to take away built-up energy.  I usually wrap them in silk and put them in a wooden box between readings.

This matches my experience as well.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:19:02 am »
Quote from: Caroline;58322

That's what I heard, too.
Silk blocks and protects. I saw it working in bannings, but haven't used it for my cards yet.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »

Silk is, literally, an excellent electrical insulator.  I always wondered if that's where the idea came from.  Does anyone else know anything about the provenance of this practice?

Brina

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;58432
I always wondered if that's where the idea came from.  Does anyone else know anything about the provenance of this practice?

No, sorry, I don't.

But I heard sometimes the conductivity being taken in account, as a measurement for the ability of a material to store a magical charge.

I would be interesting to hear where this idea actually originated.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Caroline

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »
Quote from: Tana;58435

I would be interesting to hear where this idea actually originated.

Considering early European occultists' interesting in "Oriental" and "Eastern" practices, and the exalted use of silk in various traditional practices (presentation wrappings, burials, assorted protective, medical-healing applications) I wouldn't be at all surprised if it drifted down those channels.

Or perhaps the roots of Tarot in European areas with heavy silk textile industry (esp. Italy) has something to do with it - early decks were hand-painted works of art, and silk has long been used to wrap valuable items.

I think the answer lies in that syncretic cauldron :)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »

I keep mine in a purple crown royal bag ... :whis:

I know its far from traditional, but at the time I had no silk, and no money to go out an purchase any. The bag was special to me ( As silly as that sounds ) So I though it would work just fine.
And it has thus far.

But I also don't use my cards on other people, for me their a personal tool, and kept on my altar, away from outsiders and their sticky fingers.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:55:32 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;58475
I keep mine in a purple crown royal bag ... :whis:

I keep my open deck in one of those - also special to me for personal reasons.  The bag is 31 years old, the deck is 28.  It is the most resilient for readings and rarely has to be protected like some of my other decks.  It is the one I carry with me, and when I do a tarot party it is the one on the table, while the others are displayed on their silks.  If the client is drawn to one of the others I use that, but normally I use my tough old workhorse.

Absent

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »
Quote from: Caroline;58322

Mine also, though I've found that that much blockage is only occasionally necessary.  For most things, it's the existence of wrapping/container that matters, not what it's made of.  My Robin Wood deck, f'ex, is quite happy with its denim bag, and my other decks (with the exception of my Thoth deck, which really wants a silk wrapper) are content with the level of insulation provided by my card chests.

This might be, at least in part, specific to my personal circumstances.  When I was reading professionally, though I often had a couple of other decks with me, it was very rare for them to be requested for a reading; I never did the kind of party work Marilyn does.  If I ever did, I'd likely consider silk a good idea.

I've occasionally used silk to wrap other things, again mostly when an "industrial strength" barrier seemed advisable.  I've never been of the school of thought that insists that everything must be wrapped, and only silk will do.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Caroline

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;58538
Mine also, though I've found that that much blockage is only occasionally necessary.  For most things, it's the existence of wrapping/container that matters, not what it's made of.  My Robin Wood deck, f'ex, is quite happy with its denim bag, and my other decks (with the exception of my Thoth deck, which really wants a silk wrapper) are content with the level of insulation provided by my card chests.

This might be, at least in part, specific to my personal circumstances.  When I was reading professionally, though I often had a couple of other decks with me, it was very rare for them to be requested for a reading; I never did the kind of party work Marilyn does.  If I ever did, I'd likely consider silk a good idea.

I've occasionally used silk to wrap other things, again mostly when an "industrial strength" barrier seemed advisable.  I've never been of the school of thought that insists that everything must be wrapped, and only silk will do.

Sunflower

My general default is linen (likely simply because I collect vintage pieces), but my Thoth deck definitely requires silk, and I do use silk if I'm working on a specific sequence of reads. (Tarot isn't my strength and I find I can easily be thrown off.) Mostly I use silk for certain trad tools and ritual jewellery/items I feel take special care.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Silk for Tarot Decks?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »
Quote from: Caroline;58567
but my Thoth deck definitely requires silk,

What is it about the Thoth deck, I wonder...?

Is silk wrapping something that is common to divination tools other than tarot decks, specifically?  I mean, do other kinds of oracle decks and other kinds of tools, like pendulums and ogam stones, also benefit from silk wrapping?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Silk for Tarot Decks?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:44 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;58319

I usually wrap them in silk and put them in a wooden box between readings.

A few people have mentioned storing their decks in wooden boxes/chests.  Just wondering if there's a particular reason for that (other than that wooden boxes are cool  ;) )?  

And, to those who use such boxes:  Do you store all your decks together or do you have a separate box for each deck?

Are your boxes always wood?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Silk for Tarot Decks?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 05:04:04 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;59136

And, to those who use such boxes:  Do you store all your decks together or do you have a separate box for each deck?

We have a very nice wooden chest, I have all the incense sticks and most of my decks in it. The decks are either in their boxes or in bags, if the box gave up with time.

I have it in the chest, because it is a pretty way to store things, that's all.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Silk for Tarot Decks?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:05 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;59136
A few people have mentioned storing their decks in wooden boxes/chests.  Just wondering if there's a particular reason for that (other than that wooden boxes are cool  ;) )?  

For me, this has to do with blocking as well.  Wood is dull and soft, in my perceptions.  Anything it absorbs it stops.

Plus, boxes are cool and I have tons.:)

Looking at my decks, I have two wrapped in silk, one lives in a box, one lives in my purse, and the rest are in a drawer wrapped in different fabrics.  My hand-made one is held together with a plastic paper clip because I keep taking cards out for spells.  Some cards get destroyed in the process, so it is not a usable deck anymore.  It really should be in the spell supplies drawer rather than the card drawer.

Absent

Tags: