collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot  (Read 3745 times)

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://conjurewitchery.blogspot.com/
Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:31 am »
I have always used the Rider Waite Tarot. However, Spirit is showing me that it is time for me, personally, to move into a deeper deck. The deck I'm being shown to use is the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot. I was watching YouTube videos on reading and interpreting the Thoth Tarot and knew instantaneously that this deck would be challenging.

Does anyone here utilize the Thoth Tarot? How did you begin with it?

One thing that I'm interested in learning is the Opening of the Key Spread. I've always despised reversed cards and considering the back of the Thoth Tarot is the Rose Cross and would be inverted if I did reversed, it suits me.

Also, the artwork by Lady Freida Harris is just gorgeous, IMO.

Any advice for a new Thoth beginner?

FWIW, I am also going to be getting The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley and Tarot: Mirror of the Soul by Gerd Zeigler. Any reviews on those books?
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:50 am »
Quote from: ConjureWitchery;57509

FWIW, I am also going to be getting The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley and Tarot: Mirror of the Soul by Gerd Zeigler. Any reviews on those books?

I have both.
Crowley's book might not be, what you think it is and Ziegler's is good to get to work with the Tarot. It's pretty basic.

I recommend Hajo Banzhaf's 'The Crowley Tarot'.
You can save the money on the other two and you can use this one from basic to more elaborate insights, whatever you need atm.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:23:29 am »
Quote from: Tana;57520
I have both.
Crowley's book might not be, what you think it is and Ziegler's is good to get to work with the Tarot. It's pretty basic.

I heard that Ziegler's was good to get started with.

What would you say are the pro's and con's of The Book of Thoth?

Quote from: Tana;57520
I recommend Hajo Banzhaf's 'The Crowley Tarot'.
You can save the money on the other two and you can use this one from basic to more elaborate insights, whatever you need atm.

Never heard of that book before. Looked it up and will take it into consideration. :)

Thanks, Tana!
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:56:35 am »
I have always used the Rider Waite Tarot. However, Spirit is showing me that it is time for me, personally, to move into a deeper deck. The deck I'm being shown to use is the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot. I was watching YouTube videos on reading and interpreting the Thoth Tarot and knew instantaneously that this deck would be challenging.

One thing that I'm interested in learning is the Opening of the Key Spread. I've always despised reversed cards and considering the back of the Thoth Tarot is the Rose Cross and would be inverted if I did reversed, it suits me.

I also use the Thoth deck. I began like many with the Rider Waite. A.E Waite and Crowley both co-created decks closely after the ones they used in the Golden Dawn, so there should be some amount of familiarity, but Crowley changed a few blinds, as well as established others to coincide with the "New Aeon," and the Book of the Law. The Thoth deck pretty much is The Book of the Law captured in images, but many people from many walks benefit from it.

Crowley's The Book of Thoth I'd say is essential eventually, but many do find it(and Crowley's other works) confusing and hard to follow. Others don't, but anyway, a much better recommendation would be Lon Milo Duquette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot. It is a brilliant read, and explains a lot.
Semper Fidelis

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:19 am »
Quote from: Micheál;57533
The Thoth deck pretty much is The Book of the Law captured in images, but many people from many walks benefit from it.

Now, I've never heard it put that way. I reckon I will need to get that book as well!

Quote from: Micheál;57533
Crowley's The Book of Thoth I'd say is essential eventually, but many do find it(and Crowley's other works) confusing and hard to follow. Others don't, but anyway, a much better recommendation would be Lon Milo Duquette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot. It is a brilliant read, and explains a lot.

I have read that Crowley does tend to ramble. However, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot is one of the next few books on my list after the original purchase, which will take place in a few weeks. :)
Deus Vobiscum!

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:41:16 pm »
Quote from: ConjureWitchery;57537
Now, I've never heard it put that way. I reckon I will need to get that book as well!

That's another thing that's in riddles lol. If you would like to check it out though, I'd recommend another book of Crowley's called The Law is for All, or just checking out his published interpretations  http://aumha.org/arcane/ccxx.htm This is all related to Thelema of course, but may be helpful to anyone wanting to research the Thoth Tarot further. The Book of the Law can be found in many places http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/engccxx.htm and an understanding of the background wouldn't hurt either http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/The_Book_of_the_Law

Quote from: ConjureWitchery;57537

I have read that Crowley does tend to ramble. However, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot is one of the next few books on my list after the original purchase, which will take place in a few weeks. :)

Nice, well that would probably be the best recommendation in my opinion, and will do a good job explaining all of the other stuff above as well :)
Semper Fidelis

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »

I started with the Osho Zen Tarot, which I think is beautiful.  However, I switched to the Thoth deck and found that for me it is MUCH more powerful.  But get a book about that deck (there are several) to go along with it to learn it in detail.  I think it's a great deck.  But it does take a bit to learn I think, and that's worthwhile.

Edit: I'll echo the recommendation on Lon Milo Duquette: I've found ALL his books to be great, and very readable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:29:19 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;57583
Nice, well that would probably be the best recommendation in my opinion, and will do a good job explaining all of the other stuff above as well :)

You're awesome! I've bookmarked your post for future references. :) Thanks!
Deus Vobiscum!

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:15 pm »
Quote from: ConjureWitchery;57592
You're awesome! I've bookmarked your post for future references. :) Thanks!

You're welcome! :)
Semper Fidelis

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »

I've been using the Thoth deck for readings and study for 4 decades now. You will find that it rewards every minute of time you spend with it. The Book of Thoth is similarly rewarding, but you really need a grounding in some of Crowley's other work to get the most out of it. The DuQuette book is kind of an approachable reduction of the BoT and the Banzhaf books are worthwhile. Zeigler isn't highly regarded, and I can vouch for that assessment. Some of the best resources are on-line. The Tryskelion website uses Thoth in its Tarot section, and Tarot Eon has a tutorial titled "How to Read with the Opening of the Key and Still Keep Your Sanity" (I can relate to that observation, too :)) James Wasserman has also put up, for free, the Golden Dawn's Liber T, which Crowley first released in his Equinox periodical. Good luck!
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Tags: