Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days  (Read 2578 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:49 am »
{alt}
Title: Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days
Author(s): Raven Grimassi
Published 2011 by Weiser
ISBN: 1578635055
ISBN-13: 978-1578635054
Paperback, 272 pages
List: $19.95
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

Raven Grimassi is a name familiar to those of us who have been reading books on Wicca and Witchcraft for a number of years (he has authored 14 of them).  His background is varied and extensive, running the gamut from Rosicrucian studies and Kabbalah and various forms of "traditional" witchcraft.  This background allows him to approach the subject from a variety of perspectives.  In this book  he is presenting his personal take on the "Witchcraft is a survival of an ancient pre-Christian religion" argument.  One thing I am sure of is that this book has the potential to polarize the community because of Raven's emphasis on the Goddess as the primary deity of early witches, with the God perceived as an invisible presence.  This is not the only "sacred cow" he goes after, although I must emphasize that this is not a malicious attack, but merely an attempt to show how the Christian concept of witches and witchcraft colored the perceptions of everyone - including both medieval and modern-day witches.  (Please note that I am not capitalizing "witch" or "witchcraft" since these terms are not being used as references to a particular religion.  This is not a slighting of them, merely an explanation.)

I may not always agree with Raven's positions, but I have to respect his ability to communicate them clearly and distinctly.  You always know where he stands on an issue.  This book is a shining example of how to present ideas which are likely to be unpopular in some groups without being so offensive as to shut down all possibility of a dialogue developing.  It is clear from the outset that Raven is aware that he may be stepping on a few toes along the way, but through his careful statements of fact, and offerings of opinions (with a clear distinction always being made clear) he manages to make his points without appearing as a threat to anyone's point-of-view.  This is an extremely fine line, and one which is often impossible to walk. . The last half of the book is composed of a grimoire for The Ash, Birch, and Willow magickal system.  Note that this is a system not a "tradition."  No claims are made for the ancientness of the rituals and terms.  It is, admittedly, a cobbled together system, drawn from numerous sources, spread over the breadth of Europe, and encompassing centuries of hints; and that's all we have to work with - hints. There are no surviving ritual books or records written by actual magic workers and witches of these times.  All we have are the records of trials, with evidence obtained through torture and twisted to fit the preconceptions of the individuals conducting the "examinations."

I can absolutely guarantee that there will be heard any number of exclamations of dismay from various quarters, ranging from "That's not how WE do it!" to "Those aren't proper tools."  Not to sound too dismissive, but, "Whatever."  Until you try working with this system it isn't possible to judge the effectiveness of Raven's proposals.  I don't have the same training the author does, but I see enough overlap with what I was taught early in my training that I can acknowledge the possibility - no, actually the likelihood - that what he suggests would be effective.

Another objection sure to be raised is Raven's assertion that "Old Way" witches did NOT adhere to the "Harm none" philosophy which is considered definitive in Wicca today.  Not only that, he acknowledges that they probably engaged in living sacrifice (as did the cultures which gave birth to them), and that they were capable of using their herbal knowledge to kill as well as cure.  For many of the newer generation of Wiccans this is going to be highly offensive but, when I was trained over 40 years ago, one of the first things my teachers imparted was that "You have to know how to kill to cure."  If you don't know what dosage is lethal, you stand the very real possibility of poisoning your  patient.  That also means to you need to know how various potions and decoctions will affect the individual, so you need to experience it for yourself (much like law enforcement officers are required to be the target of a "taser" before they are allowed to use one on anyone else).

The final segment of this work consists of several "books" comprising a grimoire (Ways, Calls, and Magic).   Each of these contain information which is derived from bits and pieces of European lore concerning tools and rituals (Ways), invocations (Calls), and techniques, symbols, sigils, and correspondences (Magic).  While there is nothing too radical in any of these, the attitudes and perceptions may seem a bit odd to the average, non-traditionally trained witch of today.

The book is finished off with two short appendices  - "The Invisible God of Witchcraft" and "The Five-Thorned Path", a short list of end- notes and a bibliography.  "The Invisible God of Witchcraft" refers to the fact that there are no surviving references in classical sources to a god associated with witchcraft. There are goddesses in plentitude, but nary a mention of a male deity.  Even in the literature associated with the Witch Hunts, except for references to 'the Devil', there is no mention of a male deity.  Make of that what you will.

Raven's explanation of the symbolism of  five thorns emanating from a black pentagon, thus forming a pentagram, in two differing orientations offers a fertile field for meditation and exploration. I'm not sure where this may lead, but the journey itself may well be worthwhile.

If you are open to alternative approaches to the history of witchcraft, written by an individual who is not afraid of "sacred cows" but who, at the same time, is not out simply for shock value, this book is worth far more than the cover price.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: