Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Advancing the Witches' Craft  (Read 1953 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Advancing the Witches' Craft
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:23 am »
{alt}
Title: Advancing the Witches' Craft
Author(s): Marcus F. Griffin
Published 2011 by Megalithica Books
ISBN: 1905713541
ISBN-13: 978-1905713547
Paperback, 229 pages
List: $20.99
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

Regular readers of my slightly irregular reviews know that I have a couple of pet peeves, neither one of which I can do anything about, and neither of which is going away any time soon.  The first is the deplorable state of editing (or non-editing) which occurs before books find their way into print (or onto the ebook reader).  The second is the over-abundance of "Wicca 101" on the market.  Sometimes it seems that the majority of books being published fall into this category.

This book is most definitely NOT a "101" book.  The author makes it abundantly clear that he is not going to spend time laying basic foundations for the exercises he details. If you don't already know how to meditate, or move energy, or visualize things, you will want to give this particular volume a pass.  It is about time, however, that a book like this comes onto the market.

Mr. Griffin is also not afraid to call it as he sees it.  Just because something is the "accepted) way to do or view, doesn't mean that he has to accept it.  You should (almost) never cast a circle widdershins, right?  Why?  Energy is either positive (good) of negative (bad), right?  Who says so?

As you read this book you will be expected to take a long hard look at your beliefs and practices.  You won't be expected to change just because he says so; but you will be expected to evaluate what you believe and why you believe it.

This is a book which is designed to be read over time (obviously, a luxury I can't indulge in if I want to review it while it is fresh on the market), so I can't evaluate its long term effectiveness and value.  What I can say is that my first impression held up throughout the length of the book.  It is a top-notch, well-written book which is worth every penny of the cost.

There are statements contained in this book which will upset many of the old-timers (like myself) because they contradict much of the "accepted wisdom."  Many of the newbies who come into the Craft are taught, as I was, that there are certain "requirements" for working magick.  As they progress through their development they slowly become disillusioned as they realize that the "requirements" are actually more like suggestions.  They end up feeling that they have been lied to when, in fact, the motivations range from "We can't give this kind of information to a newbie until they have enough experience to deal with it" to "That's the way I learned it.  It was good enough for me and its good enough for them."

This book truly is one which I feel belongs in every Temple/Grove/ Coven library.  It is definitely one which should be read by each and every individual who has hopes of advancing and eventually teaching students themselves.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: