Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Wicca Magickal Beginnings: A Study of the Possible Origins of the Rituals and Practic  (Read 2711 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
{alt}
Title: Wicca Magickal Beginnings: A Study of the Possible Origins of the Rituals and Practices Found in this Modern Tradition of Pagan Witchcraft and Magick
Author(s): Sorita d'Este and David Rankine
Published 2008 by Avalonia Books
ISBN: 1905297157
ISBN-13: 978-1905297153
Paperback, 284 pages
List: $24.99
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

How old is the practice of witchcraft? What part did Gerald Gardner play - founder, compiler. Or huckster? What are the sources of the rites and ritual which form the backbone of the modern witch movement? Who hasn't debated these questions with friends? What are your conclusions?

Sorita d'Este and David Rankine have been asking these questions for years and have put together AN (not THE) answer in this book. Right from the start, it is obvious that they are looking at the commonalities rather than the differences.

This well-written book looks at many of the tools, practices, and beliefs of the post-Gardnerian Craft and traces their origins - in some cases to classical antiquity (and in a few cases even further back). Certain beliefs about origins are challenged, although the authors leave it to the reader to reach their own conclusions. I found myself coming face to face with some of my own most basic beliefs and although I won't say whether those beliefs have changed as a result. I will say that at the very least I spent time looking at them and testing them.

Each of the chapters is short and concise. Potential sources are brought forth and examined. The authors then offer their best take on the subject. Whether you choose to agree with them or not you will find yourself learning things you never knew before.

As I have noted in previous reviews, I am really tired of all the "Wicca 101" books on the market at this point, so I am always happy to see a book which moves well beyond that level, and is capable of inspiring thoughtful analysis and discussion. Whether you a BTW or an Eclectic, you will find much of interest in this excellent book.

They also address some of the peripheral items - such as the origins of the use of the name Cernunnos, elemental attributions, Theban script, and the influence of grimoires on the development of the Craft (and, indeed, the origin of the use of the phrase "the Craft" to describe witchcraft).

After telling you their conclusions they finish off the book with a series of appendices on Crowley's spelling of magick, magickal philosophy, the phrase "So mote it be", perfect love and perfect trust, and the origins of Alex Sanders' circles.

If you can't find a copy of this book locally, go to their web page and order a copy. In fact, even if you can find a copy locally, check out their web site for their other offerings. It is rare to find a company which consistently produces such high quality work. Let's support these nice folks so they will continue to thrive and supply the community with insightful works for the foreseeable future.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Quote from: RandallS;57384
{alt}
Title: Wicca Magickal Beginnings: A Study of the Possible Origins of the Rituals and Practices Found in this Modern Tradition of Pagan Witchcraft and Magick
Author(s): Sorita d'Este and David Rankine
Published 2008 by Avalonia Books
ISBN: 1905297157
ISBN-13: 978-1905297153
Paperback, 284 pages
List: $24.99
View this Book on Amazon

Brilliant, and recommended read!
Semper Fidelis

Tags: