Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle  (Read 2440 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
{alt}
Title: The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle
Author(s): Sorita d'Este & David Rankine
Published 2010 by Avalonia Books
ISBN: 1905297009
ISBN-13: 978-1905297009
Paperback, 212 pages
List: $24.99
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

I'm not sure why I requested this book for review.  I am of Celtic descent, but my interests are so wide-ranging that I've not devoted much time to the Celtic aspects of the Craft.  Perhaps it was because my 30-something daughter has begun to seriously explore her Celtic connections.  In any case, I did request it, and I found it an amazing source of inspiration.

For those interested in learning more than the usual snippets of information available about the Morrigan (and her various forms) this book is a Goddess-sent boon.  Granted, it has been around for a few years, yet it contains a wealth of information I had never encountered before.  Having been published in the U.K. It would not surprise me to find that it is mostly unknown in the U.S.  Given the number of individuals and groups involved in Celtic worship and study this is a loss which needs to be corrected.

David and Sorita have succeeded in gathering together, in an easily accessible location, a wealth of mythic and folkloric stories and information.  Rather than having to pore over numerous tomes tucked away in the dusty back rooms of libraries (okay, maybe not...hunched over the screen of your laptop...nope, still not making it [sigh]) you can simply open the cover of this book and begin to find the answers you have been seeking.  Besides which, it is convenient and easily transportable - you don't need to worry about battery life either.

Forty pages near the end are devoted to an alphabetic listing of names and forms of the Morrigan in Celtic lands.  This alone would make it an invaluable resource containing, as it does, the distilled essence of years of research.  Each of these forms is explored in greater depth in the main body of the book, but this provides a quick source to verify your own impressions and/or memories.

There are lots of citations for original sources as well as more easily accessible works, which increases the value in my opinion, if you are involved in Celtic-derived neo-Pagan practices.  If your path lies elsewhere, then this is merely an interesting book.  If, on the other hand, you do follow a Celtic path, you will want this book in your library.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: