Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Circle of Fire - A Practical Guide to the Symbolism and Practices of Modern Wiccan Ri  (Read 2541 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
{alt}
Title: Circle of Fire - A Practical Guide to the Symbolism and Practices of Modern Wiccan Ritual
Author(s): Sorita d'Este and David Rankine
Published 2011 by Avalonia Books
ISBN: 1905297165
ISBN-13: 978-1905297160
Paperback, 168 pages
List: $13.25
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

As a rather prolific reviewer I often find myself receiving books which fall into one of two categories - books whose authors I completely agree with/understand or books whose authors I almost completely disagree with.  Of late, I have been reading and reviewing books by authors who fall into the first category and, in fairness, I feel compelled to explain why this is.

This is the third book in a row I have read by the same authors. Sorita d'Este and David Rankine come from a background which is very similar to my own.  They are part of the initiatory branch of Wicca; came into it at a time when the currently perceived divide between "Wicca" and "Witchcraft" did not exist; and feel that while self- dedication is certainly possible, self-initiation is not.

Although some readers may see this as a "101" (basic) book, which it is in some ways, it actually rises to the level of an intermediate book in that it goes into more depth of explanation.  It is easy enough to find books which can lay the basic foundation for Wiccan practice.  Finding explanations which move beyond the "this is the way it has always been done" or "this is the way I was taught" is more problematic.  Sorita and David give their reasoning for doing things their way AT LEAST TO START, while encouraging further explorations as you gain experience and can make effective judgments about what you encounter and feel.

One thing I really liked in this book was that as well as describing various gestures and figures, illustrations and photographs were provided so there is no room for questions or misunderstanding.  There are numerous appendices covering a range of topics, but they are kept brief and interesting.

I recommend this book without reservations of any sort, for those walking a Wiccan path, at any level of training or experience.

25[/hr]
[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron. List Price is as of the date this review was originally written and may not be current. The reviewer may have received a free copy of this book to review.[/size]

[size=-1]Discussion of this book is welcome. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: