collapse

Author Topic: Manannan *beginner*  (Read 3487 times)

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/james.e.white.10
Manannan *beginner*
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »
im looking to contact Manannan Mac Lir, im just now starting out and i was given a site to go to that has helped me understand him a bit better. the only ways the site teaches to contact him involve mostly group and one solo ritual. i dont really live near a water source i can use for the solo ritual, unless i could use my bathroom or something. i have a small celtic alter, a Libation Dish, an Athame, a love candle, a money candle, 2 crystals and 2 feathers. with what i have, is there any way i can contact Manannan Mac Lir?
REFUSE! RESIST!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Manannan *beginner*
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:55:31 pm »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57080
im looking to contact Manannan Mac Lir, im just now starting out and i was given a site to go to that has helped me understand him a bit better. the only ways the site teaches to contact him involve mostly group and one solo ritual. i dont really live near a water source i can use for the solo ritual, unless i could use my bathroom or something. i have a small celtic alter, a Libation Dish, an Athame, a love candle, a money candle, 2 crystals and 2 feathers. with what i have, is there any way i can contact Manannan Mac Lir?

You don't need stuff to contact him. It rains there, doesn't it? And he's there. Especially if it's a cold rain--I can always feel him in the rain. Or you can try keeping a fishtank to honor a god of the sea. He's also a gatekeeper, the one who keeps the boundary between the worlds. There's a lot more to him than just a sea god.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;57082
You don't need stuff to contact him. It rains there, doesn't it? And he's there. Especially if it's a cold rain--I can always feel him in the rain. Or you can try keeping a fishtank to honor a god of the sea. He's also a gatekeeper, the one who keeps the boundary between the worlds. There's a lot more to him than just a sea god.

could i use my liberation bowl? and would fresh water do? but this does help alot, thank u :)
REFUSE! RESIST!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Manannan *beginner*
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57287
could i use my liberation bowl? and would fresh water do? but this does help alot, thank u :)

I think, before you start worrying about making offerings, you may want to try praying to him. Say hello before you start giving presents, you know?  You won't always get a favorable reaction from every deity, so you may want to see if he's open to the idea first.

-Robert Burns

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;57292
I think, before you start worrying about making offerings, you may want to try praying to him. Say hello before you start giving presents, you know?  You won't always get a favorable reaction from every deity, so you may want to see if he's open to the idea first.

alright, do i fill the bowl with water and place it on my small celtic alter then pray to him?
REFUSE! RESIST!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57293
alright, do i fill the bowl with water and place it on my small celtic alter then pray to him?

If you need the water, then yeah, sure, that'll work. But the water is just a symbol to represent him--you don't have to have it.

-Robert Burns

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;57331
If you need the water, then yeah, sure, that'll work. But the water is just a symbol to represent him--you don't have to have it.

ok thank u, and one last thing. how should i address him? i know to meditate, but i dont want to offend him.
REFUSE! RESIST!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:24 am »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57332
ok thank u, and one last thing. how should i address him? i know to meditate, but i dont want to offend him.

I've never had the experience of Manannan as a god who takes offense easily. Be respectful, but don't put so much emphasis on formality that you lose sight of the fact that you're wanting to connect with him for a reason. He's not a mean, scary kind of deity--powerful, yes, but he's not looking for a reason to bite the head off anyone who tries to approach him. Be polite and respectful, and you should be fine. Just be prepared that if he does want a relationship with you, he (and all the Celtic gods I've dealt with, for that matter) tends to have really high expectations of the people who are his.

-Robert Burns

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:27:19 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;57341
I've never had the experience of Manannan as a god who takes offense easily. Be respectful, but don't put so much emphasis on formality that you lose sight of the fact that you're wanting to connect with him for a reason. He's not a mean, scary kind of deity--powerful, yes, but he's not looking for a reason to bite the head off anyone who tries to approach him. Be polite and respectful, and you should be fine. Just be prepared that if he does want a relationship with you, he (and all the Celtic gods I've dealt with, for that matter) tends to have really high expectations of the people who are his.

iv read alot of good things about him, i figure his humor could help cheer me up when i am down and calm me down when im angry. is he understanding of peoples situations in life? thank you, i just hope he allows me to be 1 of his followers
REFUSE! RESIST!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Manannan *beginner*
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:13:26 am »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57342
iv read alot of good things about him, i figure his humor could help cheer me up when i am down and calm me down when im angry. is he understanding of peoples situations in life? thank you, i just hope he allows me to be 1 of his followers

I don't have any experience with  Mananan (I'm a Brighid dedicant), but I want to offer a caution.

You might get a response to your attempts to contact Him.  But you might not.  And that's ok.

I know it seems like there are a lot of people here on TC who have personal relationships with gods.  But that's actually very unusual -- not the norm at all.  Lots of people have fulfilling and rewarding spiritual lives because of their religious practices, while never having direct contact from a god.

And for those who do have direct contact from a god, it's not about what the god can do for the person.  It's the other way around.

I'm my experience, the reason I have a relationship with Brighid is because She has work for me to do.  I choose to do it for many reasons, but it's a *choice* I've made.  Luckily for me, Brighid takes excellent care of Her "tools", including me.  ;)  But that's primarily so I remain able to do the work.

Don't expect Mananan to pick up the phone on the first ring, so to speak, any more than you might if your caller ID said a total stranger was calling.  You might have to leave a voice mail or call back later or try a letter instead of a phone call, etc.  And, even then, He might simply not be interested.

My advice is to approach Him the same way you'd reach out to someone you think you might want to be friends with.  As Stephy said, be polite and respectful.  Introduce yourself.  Tell Him why you're contacting him.  Ask if He'd be interested in getting to know you.

But don't assume He's going to drop everything to cheer you up or keep you company.  :)

Good luck!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:01 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;57345
I don't have any experience with  Mananan (I'm a Brighid dedicant), but I want to offer a caution.

You might get a response to your attempts to contact Him.  But you might not.  And that's ok.

I know it seems like there are a lot of people here on TC who have personal relationships with gods.  But that's actually very unusual -- not the norm at all.  Lots of people have fulfilling and rewarding spiritual lives because of their religious practices, while never having direct contact from a god.

And for those who do have direct contact from a god, it's not about what the god can do for the person.  It's the other way around.

I'm my experience, the reason I have a relationship with Brighid is because She has work for me to do.  I choose to do it for many reasons, but it's a *choice* I've made.  Luckily for me, Brighid takes excellent care of Her "tools", including me.  ;)  But that's primarily so I remain able to do the work.

Don't expect Mananan to pick up the phone on the first ring, so to speak, any more than you might if your caller ID said a total stranger was calling.  You might have to leave a voice mail or call back later or try a letter instead of a phone call, etc.  And, even then, He might simply not be interested.

My advice is to approach Him the same way you'd reach out to someone you think you might want to be friends with.  As Stephy said, be polite and respectful.  Introduce yourself.  Tell Him why you're contacting him.  Ask if He'd be interested in getting to know you.

But don't assume He's going to drop everything to cheer you up or keep you company.  :)

Good luck!

~ Aster

thank you both, 2morrow i will attempt. its almost midnight, thanks again tho :) feel free to contact me on here
REFUSE! RESIST!

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 04:16:00 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;57341

i got my answer today from Manannan. it came in the form of a text on my phone. it was essentially his sense of humor. made me laugh. i feel more up beat now, i feel better than i did before. my anger and bitterness feels more in check because of him. thank u and the few iv talked to on here about it. everyone has been a big help. once i get through job corps, ill make sure to set up a proper alter to Manannan.
REFUSE! RESIST!

Sereyn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:58:50 am »
Quote from: blackwolf696;57080
im looking to contact Manannan Mac Lir

Hey, Sorry to jump into this topic but it's quite relevant :) I was wondering if Irish Manannan Mac Lir, would be similar to the Welsh Manawydan fab Llŷr? I have read they are the same almost but wondered if anyone has experienced the welsh one? Are they the same but different spelling of name?

blackwolf696

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:06:50 am »
Quote from: Sereyn;57883
Hey, Sorry to jump into this topic but it's quite relevant :) I was wondering if Irish Manannan Mac Lir, would be similar to the Welsh Manawydan fab Llŷr? I have read they are the same almost but wondered if anyone has experienced the welsh one? Are they the same but different spelling of name?

according to this site yes

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/celticdeities/

i was given this site for reading up on him

http://www.manannan.net/index.html

dont forget to ask away on here tho. i am as of a few days ago a follower of Manannan Mac Lir, and am feeling more up beat ever since. :)
REFUSE! RESIST!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 02:36:30 am »
Quote from: Sereyn;57883

I had the same question when Manannan poked me, so I asked. I wrote about my experiences at my blog. There are more things about Him under the "Manannan Mac Lir" and "Manawyddan fab Llyr" tags.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: