collapse

Author Topic: Necessary Updates  (Read 12203 times)

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Necessary Updates
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;57285

Well, I would have considered the school on my own after a day or two of "Shit, I can barely afford anything! ...Oh right, my college has a health center."

My sister has this habit of saying things the wrong way and expecting us to know what she "REALLY" meant. This might be why I have so much trouble with explaining the things the gods tell me, because in addition to the "vibes that aren't quite words" problem, I keep trying to figure out if "You shouldn't see a therapist if you don't want to" means... well, THAT, or "Consider others' input, but the only person who can really decide is you," or "Ha, she's actually believing me because she thinks I'm Aengus!"

It feels like the second, since it agrees with the Morrigan's "Stop being a doormat/Live your own life" advice. And considering her recent efforts have been to strip AWAY my delusions, I don't think she'd let me go on talking to myself or being led on by an "imposter" for months.

And ironically enough, it makes things MORE confusing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:22:58 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Necessary Updates
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;57288
And ironically enough, it makes things MORE confusing.

For what it's worth, I think the Morrigan is right.  YOU need to take care of YOU.

I won't lie:  Being an adult is a pain in the ass.  You have to find ways to meet your own needs.  For most of us, that means we have to be our own advocates and stand up for ourselves.  That is very hard and very scary, especially after years of being told by society how to behave "properly".

But you have a choice.  You can keep quiet and swallow your confusion and your hurt, or you can find a way to get what you need.

You told the Morrigan you would do whatever it takes to be cast in your dream role.  What if "whatever it takes" is going through everything you've gone through so you can come to the realization that therapy will not only help you heal from your past wounds and help you understand what's currently going on in your life and in your head, but also strengthen you and prepare you for challenging roles like Ilse, so you're ready when the next opportunity comes along?

I follow a Celtic path, too, although my goddess is Brighid.  I know from my own experiences and epiphanies that the Celts are big fans of putting us into situations that force us to finally understand what we need and how to get it.  

There was a point several years ago when Brighid told me in no uncertain terms that I was not then fit to do Her work and it was time for me to take care of myself.  To fail to get the help I needed Dyer my medical problems was to fail Her.  I couldn't do that.  

Since then, I've had to learn many hard lessons, including that sometimes I have to accept help from other people.  Doing so has taught me how to be as healthy and productive as I can be -- which sometimes is not very productive at all.  The difference is that I'm no longer alone.  When I'm in pain, I know I have support.  And knowing that, I'm a much better tool for Brighid, and I'm far better able to do the work She gives me.  It has not been easy, and I don't think it's ever going to be easy, given the nature of my medical problems.

I think you're at a similar crossroad right now.  You can choose to go on as you have for the last several months, and spend your emotional energy on things like your sister's opinion.   Or you can choose to look clearly at your own needs and find a way to meet those needs so you can do the work you're given.

Which do you think the Morrigan wants for you?

I'm sorry if this is harsh.  I don't mean it to be.  I'm only speaking from my own experiences with Brighid.  But if there's one thing She has taught me, it's that I can't be a useful tool for Her if I can't even take care of myself.

I can tell from your posts that you are not only a gifted writer and dedicated artist, but also a very strong person.  You have survived torments and pain that nobody should ever have to go through.  But that's the point -- you SURVIVED.  That's why the Morrigan wants you.  You survived.

You can survive this, too.  

But you're not a child anymore.  You're an adult who is responsible for herself.  And, moreover, you know how important it is to your gods that you honor that responsibility, even in the face of adversity.

I know what the Morrigan wants you to choose for yourself, and so do you.

But, ultimately, it's your choice.  

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;57291
You told the Morrigan you would do whatever it takes to be cast in your dream role.  What if "whatever it takes" is going through everything you've gone through so you can come to the realization that therapy will not only help you heal from your past wounds and help you understand what's currently going on in your life and in your head, but also strengthen you and prepare you for challenging roles like Ilse, so you're ready when the next opportunity comes along?

~ Aster

Bolded mine.  Perhaps I am wrong but I think the bolded part is the issue.  To be cast in ones dream role is seldom about acting or anything of the sort.  It's the role the divine would have us serve or walk in and seldom does it match the acting profession.

She is so busy looking for what she thinks is the dream role in her acting profession that she is missing the dream role that her life is supposed to be.  Yet her gods / goddesses are trying to move her into her life role not some acting role she thinks is her dream role or calling.

But as long as all she focuses upon is some acting gig that is never real she'll never step into the real gig that is supposed to be her life.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Necessary Updates
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;57297
But as long as all she focuses upon is some acting gig that is never real she'll never step into the real gig that is supposed to be her life.

I think that's an excellent point.

IIRC, Sharysa made that statement in the context of the specific production.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Morrigan chose to interpret it more broadly.  That sounds just like Her.  :cool:

(Or, rather, it sounds like how others have described Her. I have no personal experience with tM, myself.)

Gelfling

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

This.

Also, if you really want to dig deep, tell your therapist that you're concerned about acting the part of healed Sharysa.  You might be surprised at how much progress you can make just discussing that.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »
You told the Morrigan you would do whatever it takes to be cast in your dream role. What if "whatever it takes" is going through everything you've gone through so you can come to the realization that therapy will not only help you heal from your past wounds and help you understand what's currently going on in your life and in your head, but also strengthen you and prepare you for challenging roles like Ilse, so you're ready when the next opportunity comes along?

This makes sense in a very convoluted way. See below.

Which do you think the Morrigan wants for you?

I know that whichever way I go, she doesn't want me to give up.

I said to myself once that "Crazy stuff happens, especially in acting. My teacher fell through a trap door; I had a WALL fall on me. Someone might literally break a leg three days before opening night and if everyone else goes "SORRY NOT ENOUGH TIME," then that just leaves me. And I will do it in three fucking days."

The Morrigan said, "Yes. You'll do it because you want it that badly."

And one day I said, "Well, if I don't get cast for this production, Spring Awakening's amateur rights just got released this year. I'm Asian--I'll stop looking like a teenager in what, ten years? Maybe next time, I'll be the only one willing to take a three-hour bus ride to rehearsal and back."

Again, the Morrigan said "Yes. There is always next time."

Then one day I admitted that, "You know, maybe I'll never get cast in Spring Awakening--they don't call it a DREAM role for nothing. But there are hundreds of other plays out there that I'll have an awesome time performing, and I'm fine with that."

Third time, she said "Yes. This will not kill you."

So I guess I'm already starting to separate this from Spring Awakening and apply it to the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:47:44 pm by Sharysa »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Necessary Updates
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;57312
So I guess I'm already starting to separate this from Spring Awakening and apply it to the rest of my life.

That's really great to hear!

You know what they say:  "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."  It's true.  It also makes you a stronger actor.  Bonus!  ;)

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 01:55:46 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;57323
You know what they say:  "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."  It's true.  It also makes you a stronger actor.  Bonus!  ;)

Another thing I noticed is that she wants me to keep thinking about ALL the options. She wants me to keep going after this particular production until the last second of closing night; she wants me to audition for every Spring Awakening production I can make it to; she wants me to audition for every Spring Awakening production I can make it to for as long as I look the right age, even if I never get cast.

If I try to leave one option out, then she kind of... sticks me with something pointy and goes, "Remember what you said."

And for all three options, she wants me to keep doing this "if I get rejected, keep trying as hard as I can to change their minds."

But this last part is actually pretty normal for actors going after roles they want--I never did it before because I never had the willpower/confidence to try in the first place, and now I keep forgetting that most non-theater people would view this as unhealthy.

My theater group shrugged it off months ago.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:56:26 am by Sharysa »

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Necessary Updates
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:27 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;57344
But this last part is actually pretty normal for actors going after roles they want--I never did it before because I never had the willpower/confidence to try in the first place, and now I keep forgetting that most non-theater people would view this as unhealthy.

My theater group shrugged it off months ago.

I'm a second generation theater geek, and I don't think what you are doing is healthy. Don't blame it on theater just because you have am obsession.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aine Llewellyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:35 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;57360
I'm a second generation theater geek, and I don't think what you are doing is healthy. Don't blame it on theater just because you have am obsession.

I only did theater in high school, and I was mostly behind the scenes and friends of most of the theater people, but I agree with this.  Don't blame theater; just acknowledge you have an obsession.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 01:32:14 pm »
Quote from: Aine Llewellyn;57379
I only did theater in high school, and I was mostly behind the scenes and friends of most of the theater people, but I agree with this.  Don't blame theater; just acknowledge you have an obsession.

Okay, I probably AM obsessed. But at least I acknowledge that 1) it's my life to ruin as I wish, 2) no matter how much I love this play I might never get cast (as least as Ilse), and 3) the potential for never being cast (as Ilse) will not stop me from trying, or auditioning for other plays.

The Morrigan didn't say "Don't give up unless people think you're obsessed," she said "Don't give up."

-
Also, someone on Livejournal said if I wanted to know if Aengus was really Aengus, I should focus on a symbol of his and see whether he responded positively or negatively. So last night since I couldn't sleep, I pictured four swans in my head and asked him, "Aengus Og of the four swans: Is this who you are?"

I felt him put his hands on my right shoulder and my chest, and then I asked, "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

He said, "Because you never asked me," and... suddenly I realized that I never DID ask him his name, I just assumed it was him and when I started getting all the confusing signals/messages, I went around asking people if this SOUNDED like him. And then I felt stupid. Relieved, but stupid.

So he warned me, "Don't wait two months to ask someone who they are again," with the implication of "You're lucky it was actually ME this time."

And then this morning he told me that there is a very thin line between "assuming" and "trusting," and I have really lethal amounts of both.

So I told him I'm going to see a therapist whenever I can, and he said "Good." And I went, "What? You said I shouldn't see a therapist if I didn't feel like I should!" And he went, "Well, you DO feel like you should. Honey, you never had to LISTEN to me--you just thought you did because you were confused, and I was being nice about it. NICE PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS GOOD PEOPLE."

And then this morning he kind of... ranted at me. "The only reason you were confused all this time was because you assumed it was me without even asking. Then when you had doubts and started mixing up what I said with what you THOUGHT I said, what did you do? You went around asking other people if this sounded like me. Most people are who you think they are, but some of them aren't, especially not with a pretty girl who really wants help and thinks everyone's a good person because SHE'S a good person. If you ever have doubts about who someone is, you ask them who they are."

And... yeah, his vibes/voice are a LOT harder to misinterpret now.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 02:16:59 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;57411

Crap. Forgot to mention that after I fell asleep, I dreamed that Lily from "How I Met Your Mother" was pregnant. She gave birth early/unexpectedly, but it was the pleasant-surprise kind. The general feeling was "Shit, it's happening already? YAY!"

Since I'm not literally pregnant, it would mean 1) new beginnings/attitude, or 2) a major event is going to happen.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:17:44 pm by Sharysa »

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:58 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;57411

I felt him put his hands on my right shoulder and my chest, and then I asked, "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

How exactly does that action translate to yes, no, fuck off, or anything else you might read into it?

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;57451
How exactly does that action translate to yes, no, fuck off, or anything else you might read into it?

It translated to "Yes" because it happened two seconds after I asked and it didn't feel threatening. My chest was important because that's where the heart is (heart = emotions/love), and the right shoulder felt like a pun.

Like, "Is this Aengus Og?" Right.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;57470
It translated to "Yes" because it happened two seconds after I asked and it didn't feel threatening. My chest was important because that's where the heart is (heart = emotions/love), and the right shoulder felt like a pun.

Like, "Is this Aengus Og?" Right.

But that's not a direct answer. He did not, expressly, SAY, "Yes, I am Aengus Og." The spirit world is fucking tricky. It just is. And that's a half-answer that could be a yes, or it could be a mind game. Also, I think you're mixing the myths. The four swans, if I recall correctly, are from the story of the Children of Lir; Aengus's consort Caer Ibormeith was turned into a swan, but there were 150, not 4, and I don't recall the myths ever saying what kind of birds the four that flew around his head were; Lady Gregory, at least, just calls them birds.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: