Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping Exercise - Introspection for Improvement  (Read 2074 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping Exercise - Introspection for Improvement
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:21 pm »
In FlameKeeping, the goal of improvement makes it essential that time be taken to gaze within ourselves…without falling into a trap.

I manage this inward-gazing through a writing exercise, the idea of which came from a workshop I attended that was based on The Artist's Way.

The exercise goes as follows:

1) Sit with writing implement and medium and look within, writing down everything you see as you do so.  No censoring should be done - every thought, every emotion, every description should be documented as-is without worry about spelling, or grammar, or sentence structure.  Write until you cannot write any further.

2) Put the writings away and do not look at them for 24-48 hours.

3) Go back and read what is written.  Cross out anything that looks too critical or too "praising".

4) Read again, and cross out anything that stems from mental illness.  F'ex, I cross out anything my "depression brain" tells me because it isn't accurate.

5) Read what is left, and identify each item as either a strength or a weakness.  Choose one of each to work on during the next week or so - one strength to share and one weakness to be improved upon.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Exercise - Introspection for Improvement
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:05 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;56169

So, now that we've had a chance to mull over the idea of introspection, here are some questions:

(1) Is introspection something you incorporate into your practice?  If so, is it as a FlameKeeper or as part of another path?  If not, why not?

(2) Do you think exercises like this have value in FlameKeeping?

(3) Is there something *you* do to improve your Dark Flame (or Bright Flame) that might benefit others?  If so, what is it?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;56169
In FlameKeeping, the goal of improvement makes it essential that time be taken to gaze within ourselves…without falling into a trap.

I manage this inward-gazing through a writing exercise,

I plan on doing this, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;57371

(1) Is introspection something you incorporate into your practice?  If so, is it as a FlameKeeper or as part of another path?  If not, why not?

Introspection is something that I've been doing since the dawn of time. It has nothing to do with my practices. It's just something I've found I inherently do- even as a kid.

(2) Do you think exercises like this have value in FlameKeeping?

Yes. I think working on techniques for various members to try is useful and valuable, since no two people are alike, and what works for me might not work for you (and vice versa).

(3) Is there something *you* do to improve your Dark Flame (or Bright Flame) that might benefit others?  If so, what is it?

Maybe? Not sure.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Tags: