Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Hekate and the supposed sacred Weasel (Polecat)  (Read 6467 times)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Hekate and the supposed sacred Weasel (Polecat)
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:11:23 pm »
Every now and then it seems the weasel (polecat) comes up in discussions pertaining to Hekate / Hecate.  Many times attesting to its sacredness to Hekate / Hecate or status as a familiar, yet I wonder if that is really so.  In most instances I can find but two passages that speak upon Hekate / Hecate and any association to the Weasel (polecat).  So since this thread pertains to her association to them I figure they'd be the best source to determine their sacredness to Hekate / Hecate.

HEKATE & THE WITCH GALE

Aelian, On Animals 15. 11 (trans. Scholfield) (Greek natural history C2nd A.D.) :

"I have heard that the land-marten (or polecat) was once a human being. It has also reached my hearing that Gale was her name then; that she was a dealer in spells and a sorceress (Pharmakis); that she was extremely incontinent, and that she was afflicted with abnormal sexual desires. Nor has it escaped my notice that the anger of the goddess Hekate transformed it into this evil creature. May the goddess be gracious to me : fables and their telling I leave to others."

While it is presented in a number of spots this transcription is from http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html#Galinthias

From this passage it seems difficult to conceive that the Weasel (Polecat) is a sacred creature to Hekate / Hecate.  At best it is seen as a maligned and evil creature and Hekate / Hecate chooses its form as a fitting punishment for the trangressions of Gale a Sorceress.  A punishment that seems to fit the general persception of what the society as a whole held of the creature or those who acted in such a manner.

Yet, to consider it changed via punishment to become a familiar or companion to Hekate / Hecate seems wrong.  But of course that is my perscpetive and opinon only.

Now this next passage is used at times to suggest the Weasel (Polecat) is sacred to Hekate / Hecate but again it seem's to be incorrect to my perspective.

HEKATE & GALINTHIAS

Antoninus Liberalis, Metamorphoses 29 (trans. Celoria) (Greek mythographer C2nd A.D.) :

"At Thebes Proitos had a daughter Galinthias. This maiden was playmate and companion of Alkmene, daughter of Elektryon. As the birth throes for Herakles were pressing on Alkmene, the Moirai (Fates) and Eileithyia (Birth-Goddess), as a favour to Hera, kept Alkmene in continuous birth pangs. They remained seated, each keeping their arms crossed. Galinthias, fearing that the pains of her labour would drive Alkmene mad, ran to the Moirai and Eleithyia and announced that by desire of Zeus a boy had been born to Alkmene and that their prerogatives had been abolished.

At all this, consternation of course overcame the Moirai and they immediately let go their arms. Alkmene’s pangs ceased at once and Herakles was born. The Moirai were aggrieved at this and took away the womanly parts of Galinthias since, being but a mortal, she had deceived the gods. They turned her into a deceitful weasel (or polecat), making her live in crannies and gave her a grotesque way of mating. She is mounted through the ears and gives birth by bringing forth her young through the throat. Hekate felt sorry for this transformation of her appearance and appointed her a sacred servant of herself."

Aelian, On Animals 12. 5 (trans. Scholfield) (Greek natural history C2nd A.D.) :

"The inhabitants of Thebes, although Greeks, worship a marten [Galanthis], so I hear, and allege that it was the nurse of Herakles, or if it was not the nurse, yet when Alkmene was in labour and unable to bring her child to birth, the marten ran by her and loosed the bonds of her womb, so that Herakles was delivered and at once began to crawl."

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html#Galinthias

In this example Hekate / Hecate has nothing to do with the transformation into a Weasel.  At best she takes pity upon Galanthis who has so been cursed.  In her pity Hekate / Hecate elevates Galanthis to a position of sacred servant.  Yet the issue here is that Hekate / Hecate did not elavate all Weasels (Polecats) to a sacred position only that single Weasel that had once been Galanthis.

I would say the concept of only Galanthis being elevated is addressed in the second passage where it states the inhabitants worship a Marten (Galanthis).  Not all Martens were seen as Galanthis only a specific one.

In some ways equatable to the concept of knight or hero in that a charge or crest was identifed only to the knight or hero that was awarded it not to all of his / her descendents.  Nor related or identified to them because of having similiar characteristics or similiar traits and professions.

Yet the issue also becomes one of was the Marten made a sacred servant because it was a Marten or because Galanthis was a mid-wife type character and assisted in the birthing of a child.  A position and perspective that would appeal to Hekate / Hecate in her role as a protector and midwife to expectant mothers.  Perhaps even recognization of the sacrifice and challenges a mid-wife faces before the gods / goddesses in the delivery of a newborn.  In this instance it would definitately be seen as taking that position in direct opposition to Hera who desired the birthpangs to be long and agonizing.

Contrary to many current pagan stories and netpages the Polecat is not some enemy she morphed into that form to accompany her.  No where does one find any reference to Gale ever following Hekate / Hecate or having any further interaction with her.  Galanthis is clearly not an enemy nor anyone morphed into that form by Hekate / Hecate so again does not follow the thoery of some enemy who is changed then accompanies her.

One might even question the notion of Galanthis accompany Hekate / Hecate anywhere considering her being recognized and worshipped by the people of Thebes.  At best it might indicate Hekate / Hecate left Galanthis in Thebes to act as her sacred servant in that locale.  Potentially supporting the alternate theory of Hekate / Hecate having a place of origin in Thebes.

Clearly though the two cited references have no reference to them becoming familiars or companions to Hekate / Hecate on her journies.  One clearly done as a punishment (Gale) while the other was done by another and Hekate / Hecate took pity and made her a sacred servant (Galanthis).

Now perhaps what we see is the inclusion of the Role Playing game into the lore of the so called familiar and Hekate / Hecate lore.  The Polecat is seen as a frequent familiar on the listing and even has psuedo historical mention of being a favorite pet in ancient times in many of the role playing words.

Perhaps it is an assumption based upon the middle ages and the witch trials of the witch and her ever present familiar.  That creature of demonic origin that suckled upon some tit upon the witches body be it in the form of a mole or actual nipple.  A concept that has passsed into much of modern witchcraft and the assumption that one must have a familiar.

Whatever the reason to my perspective it is clear based upon the cited text passages that Hekate / Hecate did not make them familiars.  In fact she did not even make them except as punishment for one and pity upon another who was changed by someone other than Hekate / Hecate.

One might do many searches upon ancient texts via perseus at  http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ but even there I have found no references to Hekate / Hecate and the Weasel (Polecat).

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Hekate and the supposed sacred Weasel (Polecat)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:06:19 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;55967
Every now and then it seems the weasel (polecat) comes up in discussions pertaining to Hekate / Hecate.  Many times attesting to its sacredness to Hekate / Hecate or status as a familiar, yet I wonder if that is really so.  In most instances I can find but two passages that speak upon Hekate / Hecate and any association to the Weasel (polecat).  So since this thread pertains to her association to them I figure they'd be the best source to determine their sacredness to Hekate / Hecate.

Good research, I have often wondered why people associated Hekate and weasels since there is very little connection and evidence of weasels being sacred to Hekate.

As far as "they" in the second paragraph I would like to clarify for anyone else reading this enlightening information that "they" refers to the Moirai, not Hekate herself (which you said it was not Hekate's doing.)

I agree that Hekate would not hold the weasel as sacred if she deemed it fit as a punishment to turn Gale into one.

Thank you for this great research and citations, I love the Theoi website.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:41:02 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;55967

Contrary to many current pagan stories and netpages the Polecat is not some enemy she morphed into that form to accompany her.  No where does one find any reference to Gale ever following Hekate / Hecate or having any further interaction with her.  Galanthis is clearly not an enemy nor anyone morphed into that form by Hekate / Hecate so again does not follow the thoery of some enemy who is changed then accompanies her.

Could you link to the stories and net pages? I'd like to see the context and read what the authors are saying about how they made that connection. I'd also like to see what sources, if any, they cited.

Clearly though the two cited references have no reference to them becoming familiars or companions to Hekate / Hecate on her journies.  One clearly done as a punishment (Gale) while the other was done by another and Hekate / Hecate took pity and made her a sacred servant (Galanthis).

I understood the two passages to be examples of Hecate's wrath and mercy. I don't know why they chose polecats. Maybe it had something to with the animals' behavior or the way they were viewed by that particular culture at that particular time... but I don't take myths literally.

Now perhaps what we see is the inclusion of the Role Playing game into the lore of the so called familiar and Hekate / Hecate lore.  The Polecat is seen as a frequent familiar on the listing and even has psuedo historical mention of being a favorite pet in ancient times in many of the role playing words.

You're losing me here. What do role playing games have to do with it? What listing are you referring to?

As far as familiars go, I think that if they exist, true familiars are few and far between.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
Quote from: Catherine;56057
Could you link to the stories and net pages? I'd like to see the context and read what the authors are saying about how they made that connection. I'd also like to see what sources, if any, they cited.

The first part of this will take a bit as I do not tend to keep those links.  If you do a general search on Hekate / Hecate & Polecat though you'll find a lot of them that cite the referenced passages.  That is those that actually cite anything, many just make the statement about polecats and being sacred and familiars to Hekate / Hecate.  Usually containing both the familiar reference for the Polecat and the she-dog because of another person transformed into a black female dog.

The write ups on many of them almost appear word for word which makes one think of all the copy and paste "Never Again the Burning Times!" passages that used to dominate the web pages.

In many ways the whole scenario reminds me of the Haley's Comet exercise where a story is passed from person to person.  Upon arrival at the end it seldom matches what the original story started out as.  Made worse based upon the fact so few acutally look into what they are repeating, but that is my own opinon and admittly I am equally guilty of it in my own way.

I understood the two passages to be examples of Hecate's wrath and mercy. I don't know why they chose polecats. Maybe it had something to with the animals' behavior or the way they were viewed by that particular culture at that particular time... but I don't take myths literally.

I agree with the wrath and mercy aspect of it.  Though I am not sure if its more about the wrath and mercy facet or the actions that would cause such a response from her.  Yet its also based upon cultural persceptions of right and wrong.

Gale as the sorceress is not a prized profession.  It's an outsider profession in many ways and reflective of the mistrust Greek society had for people who practiced such and the ends they would meet.  Sort of the same mindset when one considers the end met by Medea and Circe who were also seen as both outsiders and enchantresses / sorceresses.

What happenes to Gale also endorses the position that Hekate / Hecate protected one from foul or harmful magics / enchantments.  A position held for many years when one considers all the Hermes and such (Hekate upon the tower for instance) placed at doorways and inner family temples / shrines to protect the family and residence from harmful things.

Yet Galanthis is performing the duty of a Greek women in bringing a child into the family to ensure the future of the family.  Yet also the danger that such an action had upon the birth mother and child.  Especially considering a girl was married by 14 and had children soon after and the death rate was especially high for young wives.  So in her actions she basically acted in the role of Hekate / Hecate or even Artemis as a midwife and aided in the delivery of the child.

But again two different cultural perspectives conveyed in the story and how they are seen by the gods / goddesses.

Cultural wise the weasel still has that same low life persona connected to it.  Yet that is part of the issue as well I think.  Many see Polecat but do not equate it to the fact a Polecat is a weasel.  In many passages i've read the polecat holds that same foulness and persona right up into the middle ages and is used in a negative light to indicate a trait or character of the person being spoken of.

It's like from a cultural perspective I grew up in a rural area closely connected to a family history originating in the mountains.  As such a "Polecat" to me was a skunk and it took some time before I trully could hear or read the word without equating it to a skunk.  Yet it conveyed some of that same sense of foul and putrid in smell and appearance of actions.

While I don't take the myths literally I find when an action is the same across multiple situations then I wonder if it is a social reflection.  The fact Hekate / Hecate does so for an offense of one nature and the Moirai do so for an offense of another nature.  Yet the action by both is seen in a social light and utilizes a creature that seems to have been held in disdain to make thier point.

You're losing me here. What do role playing games have to do with it? What listing are you referring to?

Role Playing games or RPG's have been around for a number of years though I recall a significant increase of them in the 70's and 80's.  Games packages such as D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) and AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons) are the two that spring to mind though I know there are many others.  Yep when I entered the military back in 1978 it was a widespread way to pass time so I played my fair share of adventures.

All these game systems having pretty detailed descriptions of gods / goddesses, magic and spell crafting and even social and cultural backdrops they take place against.  I've encountered people that have created actual belief systems from said games and have presented them upon various boards.  At times even presenting the actual game dynamic and rules as the foundations of their practices.

Right or wrong its thier decession but it's rather difficult to accept when you know its a board game that has been brough to life.  Over the years encountering a large number of pagan sites that listed the creature's and divinities from those games along with the write-ups that were created for them.  Detailed to the point of having some actual historical fact contained within the fantasy creations.

Actually had a person on one site cite page and passage from the Handbook of Gods / Goddesses from the AD&D game series as proof.  Had one on the ESF site that presented a detailed structure of thier belief system that I knew I had seen before and using keywords I did discover the players handbook for the game and it was basically word for word.  Of course when they give you hit points and other critical info on the creature / god - goddess its sort of a clue in.

As far as familiars go, I think that if they exist, true familiars are few and far between.

I very much agree with that statement.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:03 am »
Quote from: Agonistes;56017
Good research, I have often wondered why people associated Hekate and weasels since there is very little connection and evidence of weasels being sacred to Hekate.

Thank you.

Thank you for this great research and citations, I love the Theoi website.

Theoi is a good site that is for sure.  Unfortunatley though they also indicate the polecat as being sacred to Hekate / Hecate.  So its true in the essence that Galinthais is transformed into a Polecat and becomes sacred to Hekate / Hecate but I think wrong in that it seems to imply all Polecats are thus sacred.

But all in all still one of the best sites I've found on things.

Tags: