Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Your Favorite God  (Read 4719 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Your Favorite God
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:08:00 pm »
We had a thread on The favorite Goddesses, lets now see who your favorite God is.

Mine would be my patron Amaethon, the Welsh Celtic God of Agriculture and Magick. He has been with me from the very beginning of my Pagan journey. He supports me and pushes me to be the very best I can be. He instills confidence in me. Who is yours?
[Now using the Cryfder account]

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite God
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:19:21 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;55443
We had a thread on The favorite Goddesses, lets now see who your favorite God is.

Mine would be my patron Amaethon, the Welsh Celtic God of Agriculture and Magick. He has been with me from the very beginning of my Pagan journey. He supports me and pushes me to be the very best I can be. He instills confidence in me. Who is yours?

Good idea for a thread.

I would say...Ianus and Mercurius.  Ianus approached me first (or was it the other way around?), which I find funny because he is the Roman god of beginnings.  Mercurius because he is the god of traveling/travelers and languages, and as I am someone who travels a lot and is learning a handful of languages, I feel reassured having him as a patron.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:25:42 pm »

Well, currently it has to be the male half of my Patron pair

Oghma - Champion of both Nuada and Lugh, inventor of the Ogham script, god of eloquence - one of his nicknames translates as 'Honey-tongued' - he's also a researcher, answering questions by investigation rather than divination or vision-quests.

I still have a soft spot for Thor, however, as he WAS my Patron for many years before bowing out in favor of Oghma when it was apparent that my path was more Celtic even though the largest single part of my blood heritage is Scandinavian.

Aine Llewellyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

Mine is Antinous.  Deified Roman, about the same age as me when he died, lover to Emperor Hadrian, god of beauty and love, a lion hunter, focused some of his worship on Cybele when he was alive... He'sdefinitely my favorite.

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

Mine is one of the less worshiped ever from the greek pantheon, Hefestus. Good, hard working god, honest and industrious as a bee. Disabled and ugly as hell, but a good fellow. I look pon him as a model of what should be the male portion in myself: calm yet fiery. This dude rocks.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »

I adore Pan. However, He doesn't feel the same way about me. He pops in every once in a while to say hi, but we've never established any kind of solid connection. I guess it's just not meant to be...

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:50:38 am »

Aengus Og, the Irish god of love.

When I started getting worn out from all the epiphanies the Morrigan was running me through, I asked the general pantheon "OKAY SOMEONE LESS INTENSE PLEASE." And I started talking to Brighid before my questions started to be specifically about love/lack-of-love, in which I asked Aengus about it.

Ever since, he keeps going "Sweetie, if you need to talk about ANYTHING AT ALL that you MIGHT be bothered about, EVEN IF IT'S A SEEMINGLY-MINOR QUESTION, you can ask me because IT'S PROBABLY NOT THAT MINOR." (All-caps and redundancy are definitely his.)

No matter how much I fret about bothering him and go off asking mortals instead, he doesn't get mad at me so much as my reluctance to ask help. And eventually I realized that if I can't trust the god of love, there's no way I'd be able to trust a human and now I just ask him right off the bat.

Now I have to work on getting to the point in less than ten minutes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:51:13 am by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:09:38 am »

I very rarely work with male Deities and I have never worked with this one but I have an absolute soft spot for the Egyptian Bes.

To quote Wikipedia because I have to go:
Bes was a household protector, throughout ancient Egyptian history becoming responsible for such varied tasks as killing snakes, fighting off evil spirits, watching after children, and aiding (by fighting off evil spirits) women in labour (and thus present with Taweret at births).

Since he drove off evil, Bes also came to symbolize the good things in life - music, dance, and sexual pleasure. Later, in the Ptolemaic period of Egyptian history, chambers were constructed, painted with images of Bes and his wife Beset, thought by Egyptologists to have been for the purpose of curing fertility problems or general healing rituals.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:38:28 am »

Hermes. His tricky sense of humour has  a way to both paralize me and endear Him to me.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »

Poseidon -  Such a magnificent and gracious god!  He is free will personified and wild emotion.  He rejoices in brute force, yet can be very tender and compassionate, too.  And thoughtful.  I know that sounds strange to say about a deity-- but he's answered some of my prayers in ways that can best be described as that.

Yes, he's a lot more multifaceted than given credit for -- at least to my limited mortal understanding. :)

And Apollo is another favorite of mine.  I could go on all day about him!  Wonderful deity!!!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:06:32 pm by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Moondancer3263

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »

The Dagda

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »

Not really a god, in fact he's a daemon, but Thanatos the Greek personification of death has always been a very interesting character in my mind.

oldman

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:53 am »

I'd take this to mean in either the best story or closest connection sense.
In either case it's Hermes, for me. Though for the best story option, Hades and Pan are also quite intriguing. :)

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »

I'd have to say Wepwawet.  He's the only male god in the group of Kemetic gods I normally honor.  Wesir, Ra and Heru-sa-Aset are other favorites too.  

I also have a huge soft spot for Thor and Odin.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 11:19:37 am »

I don't have a favourite because my relationships with Deity aren't really like that...  but I feel that when I call to some for guidance and assistance with certain things I often get positive and encouraging results... so that's the closest I can say I get to favourite, I guess...  in which case it would have to be Eros, Pan, and Anubis all pretty much equally.
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Tags: