collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What is the one thing you can't work without?  (Read 5576 times)

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What is the one thing you can't work without?
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:12 pm »
I was sitting in class today, listening to a speaker drone on about how people who are forced to evacuate will risk their lives in order to save "one" thing. It was interesting to hear that the family Bible was high on the list of the "one" thing to save. This started me thinking on what my children and mother would risk their lives for (and a mental note to always have these items close so they can be thrown into a bug-out bag)...and then I realized that I would risk my life to grab....a rock. That's right. A rock. On my alter are three stones. A piece of Turquoise, Amethyst and Rattlesnake Quartz (ah the irony, since I am terrified of snakes and take extreme measures to keep them off my property). I am not even sure where I got them or how long I have had them. The Amethyst and Turquoise can be missing for some reason, and I will continue what I am doing. If the Quartz is missing, everything stops until it is found.  

I am curious to see what other's can't work without...

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: What is the one thing you can't work without?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:26:07 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;54954
I was sitting in class today, listening to a speaker drone on about how people who are forced to evacuate will risk their lives in order to save "one" thing.

In such a situation, if my wife and all the dogs and cats are okay, I'd try to grab the portable hard drive and the laptop. If my wife and animals aren't safe, my efforts would go toward getting them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Dashifen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://dashifen.com
What is the one thing you can't work without?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel

Definitely the laptop or the nook. Or both.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »
Quote from: Dashifen;54980
Definitely the laptop or the nook. Or both.

Followed by the 360 and the 46" HDTV.  
One must have Assassin's Creed.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »
I was sitting in class today, listening to a speaker drone on about how people who are forced to evacuate will risk their lives in order to save "one" thing. It was interesting to hear that the family Bible was high on the list of the "one" thing to save. This started me thinking on what my children and mother would risk their lives for (and a mental note to always have these items close so they can be thrown into a bug-out bag)...and then I realized that I would risk my life to grab....a rock. That's right. A rock. On my alter are three stones. A piece of Turquoise, Amethyst and Rattlesnake Quartz (ah the irony, since I am terrified of snakes and take extreme measures to keep them off my property). I am not even sure where I got them or how long I have had them. The Amethyst and Turquoise can be missing for some reason, and I will continue what I am doing. If the Quartz is missing, everything stops until it is found.  

If all my animals were safe (two cats, two lizards) and my fiance was safe, I would have to say my laptop. I'm a nerd, and can't live without my technology--which is sad.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:08:47 pm »

After living things?  My wallet, and if possible the survival bags.  Being with a retired survival instructor means these would even do for a zombie apocalypse......and would mean we wouldn't have to go to a government shelter if we didn't want to or couldn't.

Bottom line, things are just things.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »
Quote from: Owl;55007
After living things?  My wallet, and if possible the survival bags.  Being with a retired survival instructor means these would even do for a zombie apocalypse......and would mean we wouldn't have to go to a government shelter if we didn't want to or couldn't.

My Wife and daughter would be the first things I would save. Then the two dogs, and my snake Pancho! After that my laptop.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:56 pm »

Well the family first of course, then the bug out bags and Glock.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »

I have bags prepacked for emergency exit. Bug out bags. I like that. I've always considered them as preparation in case I need to disappear though, not in case of fire or something disastrous.

If there was a fire, I'd have to get the cats out and that might kill me. Obstinant little boogers. But everything else can be replaced is as safe as redundant cloud storage can be.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:03:24 pm by Annie Roonie »

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:52:29 pm »
Quote from: Wickerman;55024
Well the family first of course, then the bug out bags and Glock.

This is very interesting....I didn't want to seem to materialistic....of course, I was talking about after everyone (people and pets) were safe. My bug out bags contain external hard drives that has everything I will ever need on them...and my iPad lives in my purse so I am positive that I would be sending those out first. I find it interesting that most people are going to go in for their comps...but really love how the pets are thought of as one of the first things to be saved.

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »
Quote from: Owl;55007

That's really interesting....I love how a few people have mentioned the bug-out/survival bags. I am going to school for Emergency Management...and I wish more people were prepared in the event that something would happen.

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:31:28 am »
Quote from: fallenangel;55044
That's really interesting....I love how a few people have mentioned the bug-out/survival bags. I am going to school for Emergency Management...and I wish more people were prepared in the event that something would happen.

As a law enforcement officer, I have to agree.

If you were talking about working, religious, alter furnishings etc. there is nothing movable that I could take with me.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:19 am »

I'd have to go with my flash drive.  everything that's on my kindle could be replaced with a new one, but losing my files would absolutely SUCK.

Of course, I'd probably also end up buried under a pile of stuffed animals that "just HAVE to come, Mommy!"

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:19:22 am »

From an emergency standpoint, (again after my cats and family) I would have to go for my pocket knife if I could just have one thing.

From a magical standpoint, probably my blade.  Which is kind of amusing, as I was thinking about something similar the other day in response to "If you only could have 5 things to work magic with for the rest of time, what would they be" and it didn't make that list.  But it's more of an emotional thing.  Practically speaking, I can and do work without it quite often, but pretty much everything else that I use is pretty replaceable.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 05:59:51 pm »

Assuming my Fiance and animals are safe, I would have to grab my Laptop. Its my first love. Followed by the phone.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Tags: