collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What makes you so sure about your beliefs?  (Read 11088 times)

GKDAIR

• View Profile
What makes you so sure about your beliefs?
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »
Hello everyone.

I've been looking into pagan beliefs for a while now, I am agnostic and just trying to find myself, I do believe in a higher form of power, but I do not accept the more bigger religions like Christianity.

I just have some questions for you all.

1) What makes you so sure about your beliefs? Why do you believe in pagan gods like thor and or zeus instead of jesus?

2) With all these different pagan beliefs, aren't you worried you picked the wrong one and will die in whatever "hell" exists?

3) Why did you pick your belief?

Thanks for all the help guys!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What makes you so sure about your beliefs?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:58 pm »
Quote from: GKDAIR;54409
Hello everyone.

I've been looking into pagan beliefs for a while now, I am agnostic and just trying to find myself, I do believe in a higher form of power, but I do not accept the more bigger religions like Christianity.

1) What makes you so sure about your beliefs? Why do you believe in pagan gods like thor and or zeus instead of jesus?

2) With all these different pagan beliefs, aren't you worried you picked the wrong one and will die in whatever "hell" exists?

1. Because that's who spoke to me.

2. No.

3. Because that's where my connection is.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

GKDAIR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;54410
1. Because that's who spoke to me.

2. No.

3. Because that's where my connection is.

I'd appreciate it if someone answered the questions who wasn't already up past their bedtime.

I have one more that I would like to ask, but could not find an Edit Button.

4). Do pagans believe in all the gods? Like could I for instance, have a shrine to Zeus and Thor? Or am I only limited to a specific belief like Greek or Norse?

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »
It's just around eight PM for me. Also, we can't edit our posts past ten minutes.

1. I believe in the Irish pantheon because I never fit into Catholicism, and the Irish gods called me.

2. Different people have different beliefs. Mom might think I'd go to hell, but I believe in reincarnation.

3. Then I chose Irish Reconstructionism because it had a place for my "mismatched" loves of performance and history.

4). Do pagans believe in all the gods? Like could I for instance, have a shrine to Zeus and Thor? Or am I only limited to a specific belief like Greek or Norse?

4. Eclecticism isn't a bad thing as long as you aren't just "cherry-picking" all the good parts from different pantheons, and as long as the gods themselves are fine with it. Some gods might mesh well, others might hate the "foreigners."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:58:19 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:27 pm »

Belief is useless.  The Powers are the Powers, one can have relationships with them or not, depending.

I deal with the Powers that want relationships with me.  This has very little to do with belief, and in fact I go through periods of active disbelief, but since I am not Christian, belief itself is a tiny portion of my religious life in any case.

That there are only some Powers involved in relationship with me says nothing about the existence or lack thereof of other Powers; that is a matter of spectacular irrelevance.

The only justification I know of for worrying about "hell" is the notion that if I pick the right set of useless beliefs, some god will reward me with a cookie when I'm dead.

The price of adopting the useless belief in question is to abandon sets of practices and relationships that cause me to be a better and more effective person, more able to meet my responsibilities to actual living people as an actual live person, and become forsworn of various commitments I have made.  In order to maybe get a cookie when I'm dead, if there is an afterlife, and I bet on the right horse.  Not only is this utterly contemptible selfishness, it's not even a sensible bet.

I don't.  I do what works.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:15:23 pm »
Hello everyone.

1) When I was a kid I was obsessed with Greek mythology and always thought, "Man, I wish I live in this era." When I got into high school I was introduced to this new religion called Wicca. Through Wicca I found out that people still do worship the Greek gods, and I was instantly intrigued.

2) Well according to Dante, even if I might go to Hell I could possibly just end up with the virtuous pagans in circle 1. Even then, I'm not really worried about Hell, or even Tartarus for that reason. Early Greeks believed that Hades was just a limbo, but eventually they got more colorful with their descriptions and added Tartarus, Elysian and the fields.

3) Could refer to question 1 for that. Even though I'm Irish, I have always been obsessed with Greek myth.

Cheers and may your quest be filled with wisdom.

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »

1)I'm "sure" about my beliefs because I can connect with them and am comfortable with it. I feel the energies I'm calling on, can feel their presence near me, just as my mother says she can feel her Lord by her side through her tough times. I'm Kemetic, but I firmly believe there are many, MANY Gods and Goddesses, energies, angels, powers, etc in the universe and beyond, but.. I feel called to a specific pantheon more than others.

2) I don't feel like I'll "pick the wrong one" as a LOT of them (that I've heard of) have a different way of "sorting the bad ones out" so to speak. I believe that there is an afterlife (or a chance at another life of some sort) if you're moral and good; and eternal death and cessation of your soul if you act immorally (as opposed to eternal suffering in "Hell" per Christianity).

3) I think I mentioned it, but I (got) picked (by) the Kemetic pantheon because.. Well, I felt drawn to it. Always have. I feel at home- comfortable- with my Gods there, and welcomed.

4) I touched gently on this, but you don't have to be limited to a specific pantheon. There are many people who are called to by many Gods of many pantheons and they have shrines and rituals to them all based on what They ask for. I have a small shrine to my Kemetic Gods, but also have a small place to Anat, to a couple Greek God(desse)s, and space set aside for praise of other Gods when I find their specific influence in my life. When a God or Goddess approach me, regardless of Who They may be, I try to take the time to get to know Them, and reserve a special place in my house for Them if They'd like. I think They ALL exist, we just don't always see Them, often because we don't want to see Gods we're unfamiliar with).
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »
Quote from: GKDAIR;54414
I'd appreciate it if someone answered the questions who wasn't already up past their bedtime.

I could have written pages and pages on the subject, but simple questions get simple answers. Once you've been around a while, you'll understand that. Meanwhile, insulting people who answer the same questions for you that privileged people ask pagans every day, which you've asked in the same aggressive "aren't you afraid you're WRONG?!" manner, might not get you the results you're looking for.

Jesus didn't speak to me. My gods did. That's evidence enough for me that I should listen to them instead of to someone who isn't talking.

The majority of pagans don't believe in hell, myself included.

I found a belief system that works with my worldview, and I feel like I fit there.

I answered you simply because my answers really are that simple.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:35:18 pm by stephyjh »
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:38 am »
Hello everyone.

I think you might strike a nerve with these questions for some. To be honest, these questions have the same tone I've gotten from atheists and some aggressive Christians.

1. The only thing I'm really sure of is that the gods exist. Even if I didn't believe, they'd still exist.

I believe in my gods because they're there for me. When I was lost after leaving Asatru, Bast was right there. When I needed a "way" opened for me, Anpu helped me. And I'm sure there are countless others that have helped me.

2. No, not really. I worry about where I might go if I'm not a good, moral person, though.

3. To be honest, I didn't pick Kemeticism. In fact, until I left Asatru, I actively resisted Kemeticism because I thought the religion was weird and the gods, er, aesthetically displeasing.

It's more like Bast and Anpu pulled me this direction and, until they tell me to move on--or I feel like it's time to move on--I'm here and happy with it. This is, well, home despite my issues with committing to a religion (fear).

4. It varies pretty widely. But a lot of pagans do worship gods from different pantheons. Some mix and mingle their personal pantheons, others keep them separate. In other words, someone who mixes and mingles might have Zeus and Thor on the same shrine while someone who keeps pantheons separate would have two separate shrines. It's called an eclectic approach, if I remember my terminology.

Others prefer to stick with one pantheon. I'm one of those. I'd rather stick with one pantheon, one culture, and do it as well as possible. It's not that I don't believe there are other gods out there, and there are certainly other cultures, it's just I happen to like the Kemetic view and framework.

And for the record, I don't look down on anyone who takes an eclectic approach. :)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:01 am »
Hello everyone.

1) Because I live it in my being and in my soul. I just know. I believe in the Brythonic Celtic Gods of my ancestors, but I do not dismiss the existence of other Gods.

2) I believe that if I will live accordingly and to the best of my capability and honor the Gods, humanity and my family and earth I will not proceed into total darkness but be re-born a new. My family would say I'm going to hell, but as you can tell I believe the soul is always reborn after death.

3) It kinda picked me, I just knew following the old religion of my ancestors was the right thing to do. It was in my blood and and my heart.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 12:26:36 am »
Quote from: GKDAIR;54414

Sorry, I apologize for not reading this until now.

4) It's popular belief that many Greeks understood that more gods existed, especially Egyptian in Greek culture, and that's why we have the Isis cults. So, many Greeks believed these gods where just different names for their own gods. (Zeus as Amun, Dionysus as Osiris).

My source for this information: Griffiths, J. Gwyn. "The Orders of Gods in Greece and Egypt (According to Herodotus)." Journal of Hellenic Studies 75 (1955)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:47:25 am »
Quote from: Agonistes;54437
Sorry, I apologize for not reading this until now.

4) It's popular belief that many Greeks understood that more gods existed, especially Egyptian in Greek culture, and that's why we have the Isis cults. So, many Greeks believed these gods where just different names for their own gods. (Zeus as Amun, Dionysus as Osiris).

My source for this information: Griffiths, J. Gwyn. "The Orders of Gods in Greece and Egypt (According to Herodotus)." Journal of Hellenic Studies 75 (1955)

Ah, I forgot about this bit. :) Otherwise how would we have Greco-Kemetic practitioners?

I thought the Greeks just assumed other cultures' gods were their own gods in most cases. The exceptions being goddesses such as Isis.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:55:22 am »
Quote from: Shine;54441
Ah, I forgot about this bit. :) Otherwise how would we have Greco-Kemetic practitioners?

I thought the Greeks just assumed other cultures' gods were their own gods in most cases. The exceptions being goddesses such as Isis.
Question number 4 - Throughout history different civilizations of honored Gods of other peoples. Especially the Romans, who honored Gods from Greece to Celtic Gods of Britain.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

GKDAIR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:33 am »
Quote from: Celtag;54443
Question number 4 - Throughout history different civilizations of honored Gods of other peoples. Especially the Romans, who honored Gods from Greece to Celtic Gods of Britain.

Please note I wasn't trying to offend anybody with my questions, I just simply want to know why you picked what you believe, because I am a man of science, and I think critically and rational about beliefs in gods and god. If you can rationally explain your belief to me (basically just say anything but "I believe because my parents do) then I am fine with that. That means that when I think about these gods and stuff, I know others have battled the same fights I battle in my head.

Also, glad to know I am not the only one who tends to believe in the greek gods. I don't know why but I always seem drawn to them. I really hope its not just a childhood fantasy of mine clouding my mind.

Anyway, ONE FINAL QUESTION: I totally forgot to add this.

5) We know, or can assume that the ancient gods and godesses were created because humans couldn't explain what thunder or snow was. How do you justify believing in these gods today where we can prove what makes lightning?

Again, not trying to offend anyone, just looking for some answers, as I struggle with these questions in my head.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:05:35 am by GKDAIR »

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:39 am »

1) I believe all the Holy Powers exist.  They just do.  Aset owns me.  Jesus is not my God or savior.  I've had experiences that prove to me that these Powers are real, actual beings.  

2) No.  

3) Why did I pick my belief?  How do you choose a belief?   I had experiences that proved to me that I these beings were real.  My religions and my deities chose me and they work for me.  

4)  I believe that all Holy Powers exist.  I honor those that have called me.  I do have multiple shrines to Powers from various pantheons.  I keep them all separate.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Tags: