Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: A Kemetic Style Handfasting?  (Read 2613 times)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
A Kemetic Style Handfasting?
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:01:35 am »
Hello everyone, I'm getting married!
Well, handfasted. =)
I know that handfasting is traditionally a more Celtic/Wiccan themed ceremony, but we are just using the basic idea to marry each other in our spiritual preference.
I've done a bit of research, and haven't found anything really useful pertaining to a Kemetic Handfasting Ceremony.

Do you guys have any ideas or information you'd like to share? It would be greatly appreciated. =) Thank you!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: A Kemetic Style Handfasting?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:27:02 am »
Quote from: Nuri;53803
Well, handfasted. =)
I know that handfasting is traditionally a more Celtic/Wiccan themed ceremony, but we are just using the basic idea to marry each other in our spiritual preference.
I've done a bit of research, and haven't found anything really useful pertaining to a Kemetic Handfasting Ceremony.

Do you guys have any ideas or information you'd like to share? It would be greatly appreciated. =) Thank you!

For the ancient Egyptians marriage wasn't a religious event.  It was a legal one.  

iirc, Montu was a god to call upon for oaths.  

You could make offerings to Hethert/Hetharu as the goddess of love and motherhood and/or the gods that you feel closest to before or during or even after the wedding.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:30 am »
Well, handfasted. =)

That's probably because there wasn't an official wedding ceremony in AE. If you were rich enough to worry about money, you might draw up documents and all of that- have them signed, etc. But that's about it. More of the common folks just moved in together, and their family had a party. There isn't much information beyond that.

You could always try to create something that is meaningful for both of you using Egyptian mythologies or deities, but AFAIK, there is no ceremony from antiquity.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:12:09 am »

As SatAset noted, the reason you're not finding information about Egyptian-style religious marriages is that they didn't exist.

So my questions to you are:

What in particular are you wanting to do, spiritually, with this ritual?
What would facilitate that for you?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;53805
For the ancient Egyptians marriage wasn't a religious event.  It was a legal one.  

iirc, Montu was a god to call upon for oaths.  

You could make offerings to Hethert/Hetharu as the goddess of love and motherhood and/or the gods that you feel closest to before or during or even after the wedding.

There's the female side of a marriage contract: Papyrus Libbey.

I'd say make up your own, or ask one or more people to help you once you've thought what you want. Many of the Netjeru are 'married' or have a consort-type relationship. I might not go with Isis/Osiris because of the connected mythology. Maybe. However, there's:

Horus/Hathor, Ptah/Sekhmet or Ptah/Bast, Khonsu and Satis, Neith, or Heqet. Even Min/Iabet. etc, etc, etc.

You might consider basing something on one of those pairs.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Lotus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;53994
There's the female side of a marriage contract: Papyrus Libbey.

I'd say make up your own, or ask one or more people to help you once you've thought what you want. Many of the Netjeru are 'married' or have a consort-type relationship. I might not go with Isis/Osiris because of the connected mythology. Maybe. However, there's:

Horus/Hathor, Ptah/Sekhmet or Ptah/Bast, Khonsu and Satis, Neith, or Heqet. Even Min/Iabet. etc, etc, etc.

You might consider basing something on one of those pairs.

I found it fairly funny when I first found out that Ancient Egyptians didn't have weddings like we do today. Now whenever I hear right-wing Christians saying that marriage has always been a religious institution I say "Nuh-uh! Egyptians didn't have that!":p

In our modern case, my advice would be to ask for a deity you feel close to bless your union. Another good idea, Helmsman said, to get some inspiration from the couples he listed. The Egyptians had a festival that celebrated Horus's and Hathor's reunion.

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:50:28 am »
Quote from: Lotus;57318
I found it fairly funny when I first found out that Ancient Egyptians didn't have weddings like we do today. Now whenever I hear right-wing Christians saying that marriage has always been a religious institution I say "Nuh-uh! Egyptians didn't have that!":p

There's a cute thing going around on facebook that says something like "The fact that you can't trade your daughter for three goats means we've already redefined marriage."
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Lotus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;57361
There's a cute thing going around on facebook that says something like "The fact that you can't trade your daughter for three goats means we've already redefined marriage."

XD I'm going to have to find that and share it with my friends!

Tags: