collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Anyone else feel too thick-headed to notice God/dess contact?  (Read 6221 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
At this time I'm just going with the flow. I'm not pushing contact, but it'd be nice.

In the past, I've tried to communicate with God/desses I've been interested in, but am always met with silence. I think. I feel like an idiot when I'm offering or talking.

Sometimes I wonder if I am too thick-headed to notice when a God/dess is reciprocating my communication. I am a skeptic at heart (notice the logical Spock as my avatar), though I try to go on faith. It'd be easier to go on faith if I had a specific God/dess I connected with, I suppose.

I don't know, mostly rambling thoughts. If I let my guard down and try to find signs, I'll think everything is a sign. KWIM? But if I'm too skeptic, either I'll miss a sign or won't even be contacted to begin with. Maybe all the God/desses I've tried contacting are saying "thanks, but no thanks" with the silence.

*sigh*

I feel like the Divine would literally have to get in my face and tell me They are listening. That is how skeptical I am at signs. Even then, I'd be checking myself into a mental institution for delusions. I do feel a Presence in my life. There are too many things that have happened in my life to be a coincidence. Sometimes I have a sense of Divine intervention and feel calm. Like I can see my path in front of me and look behind and say "wow, there was Divine intervention there that got me here" But then I wonder if I'm just making it up to feel better.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:02:11 pm by Elizabeth »
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Anyone else feel too thick-headed to notice God/dess contact?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:50:56 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;53522
At this time I'm just going with the flow. I'm not pushing contact, but it'd be nice.

In the past, I've tried to communicate with God/desses I've been interested in, but am always met with silence. I think. I feel like an idiot when I'm offering or talking.

Sometimes I wonder if I am too thick-headed to notice when a God/dess is reciprocating my communication. I am a skeptic at heart (notice the logical Spock as my avatar), though I try to go on faith. It'd be easier to go on faith if I had a specific God/dess I connected with, I suppose.

I don't know, mostly rambling thoughts. If I let my guard down and try to find signs, I'll think everything is a sign. KWIM? But if I'm too skeptic, either I'll miss a sign or won't even be contacted to begin with. Maybe all the God/desses I've tried contacting are saying "thanks, but no thanks" with the silence.

*sigh*

I feel like the Divine would literally have to get in my face and tell me They are listening. That is how skeptical I am at signs. Even then, I'd be checking myself into a mental institution for delusions. I do feel a Presence in my life. There are too many things that have happened in my life to be a coincidence. Sometimes I have a sense of Divine intervention and feel calm. Like I can see my path in front of me and look behind and say "wow, there was Divine intervention there that got me here" But then I wonder if I'm just making it up to feel better.

Just so you know, a lot of us don't realize that the gods are talking to us until well after the fact. Sekhmet had been trying to get my attention, off and on, since high school before it finally clicked for me. So, you're not alone.

This is an article that I wrote about some of the possibilities about why we aren't hearing gods. I figured I'd throw it out there for you before someone else does. :whis:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »

I am exactly the same way. I don't feel personally ready to contact a God/dess, but I live in a bubble or irony, so unless a sign, so to speak, was really really obvious, I probably would just write it off as normal. At least in my life. I think it's probably better to lean on the skeptical side of these matters, though, because if you are really flighty and looking for a sign, everything will probably look like a sign. (You know the expression, when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail?) Also, these are Gods we're talking about, (IMO) if they really wanted your attention beyond a shadow of doubt, they could probably manage that.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »

*sigh*

There are times when I feel like there is no contact between me and the Gods. And then one day something makes me stop and think and realize that they are in contact. So I know it will happen, just not always when I want it to, but when the time is right.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;53539
There are times when I feel like there is no contact between me and the Gods. And then one day something makes me stop and think and realize that they are in contact. So I know it will happen, just not always when I want it to, but when the time is right.

This. Also, more often than not contact is subtle and quiet -- and therefore easy to miss. Sure, some times it has been loud, direct, and hard not to notice, but those are so rare as to be individually memorable.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;53554
This. Also, more often than not contact is subtle and quiet -- and therefore easy to miss. Sure, some times it has been loud, direct, and hard not to notice, but those are so rare as to be individually memorable.

I have to agree with Randall.  Though I've had those moments of direct contact, in the past 20 years I can still count them on one hand.

The subtle, almost missed ones, however, occur much more often; several times a year at least.  You just have to keep your perceptions open, but don't accept every little quirk as one.  If I counted the little coincidences as subtle-contact, I'd be having them several times a week instead of once or twice a month.

Go in with eyes open, but keep that questioning part of your brain engaged as well.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:38:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;53554

I have to concur with this also.  There have been some that are over the top and leave no doubt but those a few and usually far between.  Well that and it also usually means something is coming that I really needed to know they were there.

Yet I think it also depends upon the diety in question.  Hekate / Hecate is pretty frequent in her letting me know she is there.  Artemis more direct when she does it but not as often.  Bast and Pahket are really infrequent in showing they are there but when they do there is little doubt about it.  Sekor has been really inactive in that regards for some time now other than a sense he is there when I hold ceremony for him.  The one I call The Huntsman  seldom show's when I am in civilized places but when I enter the woods or open meadows I find he's there many times.

One word of warning i'd give though is that I think many times we miss subtle signs because of assumptions on our part as to how they will show their presence.  If not miss then place to much into them when its simply normal occurance.  It's like I have a black Coy in our pond that I saved a few years ago that I call Hekate.  Most times I see it and it makes me think of her but I know she is not speaking through it.  Yet other times it acts so out of character that I know there is more to it than what I think, then it is also usually accompanied by other things that tie it all together.

For instance I might see the black Coy on the reflection of the moon, suddenly start to hear the hounds and coyote's howl up and down the valley, start to smell a scent on the wind that reminds me of her and makes me think of her.  Then other things will become part of the event.  Yet none of them by themselves is unusual, its just the total occurance of them all together that changes it.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »

Or maybe you just think they aren't listening because they're listening instead of talking. Not everyone does the whole "uh-huh, keep going" thing when they're listening to someone, and I imagine it would go the same way for the gods.

I feel like the Divine would literally have to get in my face and tell me They are listening.

No offense, but have you tried actually asking them for signs? Because the implications I'm getting from this is that you haven't. As long as you're asking "Could you give me a sign to let me know you're listening?" and not "GIVE ME A SIGN OR I'LL STOP BELIEVING IN YOU," most gods are going to do that.

I've asked Brighid and Aengus Og for signs that they were listening because they just don't have the strength of presence that the Morrigan (my patron) does, and they were perfectly fine with it.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;53565

No offense, but have you tried actually asking them for signs? Because the implications I'm getting from this is that you haven't. As long as you're asking "Could you give me a sign to let me know you're listening?" and not "GIVE ME A SIGN OR I'LL STOP BELIEVING IN YOU," most gods are going to do that.

I like this! Its actually close to what I was going to say.
Sometimes its hard to not be skeptical. Especially if you are new, but you have to try and put your guard down. If you ask for a sign and they give it, don't brush it off. It could be as small as a breeze on your face. I promise you its probably not going to be as obvious as a banner flying overhead saying "YES we hear you"

Today for example, something went loose underneath my car. I was sitting there in the parking lot waiting to pick someone up, worrying my car would break down completely, and possibly injure us. when a bird landed right in front of me. In the middle of a rainstorm no less. I asked him to watch over us, and keep us safe until I got to the mechanic. He stared at me for a second, and I knew he had heard me. a few moments later he flew away. It was just a feeling, like a wave of relieve that passed over me.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:38:40 pm »
I feel like the Divine would literally have to get in my face and tell me They are listening. That is how skeptical I am at signs. Even then, I'd be checking myself into a mental institution for delusions. I do feel a Presence in my life.

I feel this way too. I feel very strongly that I have gotten signs; however, knowing who they are coming from is another matter.

I know I'm thick, so when I asked for a sign I was specific about that, but apparently not specific enough to ask who might be sending the signs. :o

And there is other confusion for me too in the form of sights and sounds and whatever clair + might be happening. I don't know if those are deity contact or something else or both.  

So I wait. At the moment, I don't know what if anything I am being asked to do. Perhaps it will be matter of looking behind in order to figure it out.

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »
I appreciate all the thoughts so far. I'm on my phone so I can't really speak to them all right now.

Quote from: Sharysa;53565

This has been my approach. I basically say "I am pretty dense when it comes to signs, but please give me one to let me know you're listening."
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:53:29 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;53590
This has been my approach. I basically say "I am pretty dense when it comes to signs, but please give me one to let me know you're listening."

If you've been listening and the signs haven't been getting increasingly blatant (have they?), then it seems like you just need to train yourself to keep an open mind.

Skepticism isn't wrong, but since you're actively trying to have faith, then you might literally have train yourself to think, "I may sound crazy on a logical standpoint, but crazier things have happened, so I'm going to go with it."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:53:55 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:51:36 am »

*sigh*

It seems to mo that some people have more god/goddess contact that others. My question would be;what does that contact entail?

I have had relationships with a few different gods and goddesses over the years. They haven't directly called me to them, but for some reason i have known that I should give a specific deity my attention. They don't answer me when I speak to them and they don't give me signs when I ask for them. Nevertheless, I can feel their presence at times and no one has told me to stop bothering them yet :).

Maybe this form of deity contact is the most usual form and people that hear the gods all the time are fewer and far between?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
Quote from: Haugatysja;53817
Maybe this form of deity contact is the most usual form and people that hear the gods all the time are fewer and far between?

This.

While TC has an unusually high proportion of "godbothered" people, and elsewhere in Pagandom one often finds people making a Big Deal out of direct interaction (often with self-serving motives), it's not really all that common.  Those who don't experience direct contact are not defective, not inferior, and not "doing it wrong" (and, to refer back to the OP, not thick-headed); that's just how it usually works.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:15:09 am »

*sigh*

You might be surprised at how many people here feel the same way. I was (am?) this way too. For the longest time I had pretty much decided I was practically Atheist. It's only been very recently that I've been able to open myself up and reach out to the Gods, and to feel them reach back at me.

Communication comes with time in many cases. Perhaps you just need that one certain clue or hint that *really* grabs your attention. If it comes, terrific. But if it doesn't, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Try to keep your eyes and ears open and let things flow, sweetie.   :)

Tags: