Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: "Build Us a Temple"  (Read 11070 times)

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
"Build Us a Temple"
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
Dear fellow Caudronites,

I realize we don't know each other long or well, and that is why this has taken so long to write. I need your help. Last week, I was Called to perform ritual for Hekate / Hecate. I've been Called to do this before, usually in Her capacity as a messenger of the Gods. It always means something life changing is about to happen. This time She delivered to me, in no unclear terms, one short message; "build Us a Temple".

I've been walking around with this idea for at least a month. Subtle hints had been dropped but I had not expected this. Still, these are my Gods and I will obey Their command. With honor. Still, I am terrified. I'm 26 years old and this is a major undertaking. I have a network here, in the Netherlands, I will slowly inform and I will set this in motion but I need a little... courage. And advice or help.

I come to you because I respect your judgment and, honestly, because hard polytheism isn't a very common stance on Deity in the Pagan community. Yet, I do not doubt this piece of UPG. I am not far enough into the process to give you much details but I will share what I can.

I'd like to have one large hall dedicated to the Wiccan God and Goddess because they are most popular here and a large, semi-neutral, indoor space is handy for larger festivals (especially in winter). There should be separate halls dedicated to the Celtic, Hermetic, Greek/Roman, Norse and perhaps some other pantheons at people's request (within reason). I want a large, open, library and a separate study hall as well as one or two lecture rooms which can also double as workshop rooms. There must be a kitchen, toilets and bathrooms as well as a dorm. I also want a meditation room.

I hope to build/buy in the woods so we can make one or two circles there for the Druid and Shaman folk as well as an open field for the festivals. A large vegetable and herb garden is a must. If I can in any way incorporate it, I would really like to build a labyrinth and space for all four of the elements for meditative purposes.

I have felt for years that the Pagan community needs a Temple. To get closer, to reunite. A home base for worship, knowledge, and social and religious activism (activism in the best sense of the word). It this a very positive outlook? Yes, sure, but why can't a Temple be a bridge?

At any rate, overwhelmed by my experience, I told Wickerman what happened, on Sunday and he took my experience to his wife. They have offered advice, support and very, very kindly even volunteered to donate mosaics for the floors of the halls. I have seen the work Wickerman's wife does with mosaics and it is fit for Gods, for sure.

Now, I expect nothing from you. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has ever tried an undertaking like this. Advice on how to get started, pitfalls to avoid. What should I take into account for halls of the pantheon you revere? How would your Gods best be honored? Anything is welcome. If you have any questions for me then feel free to ask. I am an open book and heck, it would be good training for the sponsors and events I will have to start organizing to get this off of the ground.

I want to build this Temple, be it a case of UPG or not. I promised it to the Gods I believe in and I will keep that promise. It will take a good few years, but it will happen. I would like your help getting there, in any way you can.

So in advance, I thank you for your words.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: "Build Us a Temple"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »
Quote from: LittleWitchMagazine;52390

Erm.. good luck?

Questions that come to my mind at once are:
Do you have the resources to start such a project?
And wouldn't it be sufficient to have a kind of community center with a temple part instead of a separate area for all kinds of believes? (You know that there are a ton out there and you can't possibly serve them all.)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
Quote from: Tana;52393
Erm.. good luck?

Questions that come to my mind at once are:
Do you have the resources to start such a project?
And wouldn't it be sufficient to have a kind of community center with a temple part instead of a separate area for all kinds of believes? (You know that there are a ton out there and you can't possibly serve them all.)

I have no funds what so ever so I will be doing a lot of asking the coming years. I have some payment plans in mind to keep the Temple running but there needs to be a Temple first, of course ;)

I thought about a community center with a temple part but... it exists and it's not what we need, I feel, and what is asked of me. What I want to create is a temple, a place for worship. Everything else should be secondary.

And creating spaces for believes is a failing battle, I agree, but I feel it should be possible to give space to the (major) pantheons (if there is need for them in the community, of course).

And thank you for the best wishes, Tana :)

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:05:20 pm »

Just a brain-fart on my part, but something that came into my mind was a main central (circular? though that would be hard to build. maybe octagonal) room, which could be multi-purpose. Then coming off that were eight smaller rooms, each dedicated to a pantheon. Nose would be in the northern room, Kemetic in the south, Vedic in the east for example.

Question: how much space are you able to get hold of?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:21:21 pm »

Depending on what's meant by Temple, that could also mean making a true religious-only space in your house - it would have to be land you /own/ instead of /rent/, I'd think, but I don't see why you couldn't create an offering to the gods in a part of your house and still live in the rest of it.

I mean, a full-on huge Temple thing for everyone sounds great, but .. well, it makes MY Work look easy!

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »
Dear fellow Caudronites,

I want to build this Temple, be it a case of UPG or not. I promised it to the Gods I believe in and I will keep that promise. It will take a good few years, but it will happen. I would like your help getting there, in any way you can.

So in advance, I thank you for your words.
She has my support, the Gods dragged me here kicking and screaming. If they want it, then they will provide a means to the end. The chain of weird coincidence that lead me to this forum are, to me, undeniable evidence that this needs to be done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:10:12 pm by Wickerman »
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;52400
Depending on what's meant by Temple, that could also mean making a true religious-only space in your house - it would have to be land you /own/ instead of /rent/, I'd think, but I don't see why you couldn't create an offering to the gods in a part of your house and still live in the rest of it.

I mean, a full-on huge Temple thing for everyone sounds great, but .. well, it makes MY Work look easy!

I will reply to the comments later on, when I'm not on my mobile, but I realize I forgot to mention a vital point. This temple will be public, with lots of outreach programs and a place for any circle or solitary to come to and worship in their own way.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »

Now, I expect nothing from you. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has ever tried an undertaking like this. Advice on how to get started, pitfalls to avoid. What should I take into account for halls of the pantheon you revere? How would your Gods best be honored? Anything is welcome. If you have any questions for me then feel free to ask. I am an open book and heck, it would be good training for the sponsors and events I will have to start organizing to get this off of the ground.

The real thing with any project of this kind is that you *must* build in sustainability, and you must - for something to be sustainable - be sure you're building something that will meet the needs of the community you're asking to support it.

I was around the Twin Cities (Minnesota, US) for the founding of the Sacred Paths community center - they went in with a fairly solid financial plan, but they've struggled for several years, not because they're not working hard, and not because they're not serving the community - but because it's more complicated than that.

They've had practical set-backs (major construction for a new light rail line that has heavily disrupted storefront traffic). Rent increases. Changes in sales and rentals as the economy's changed. Some things that they might have been able to predict, but a lot that they couldn't. There have also been several shifts in the local Pagan community over that time that've changed who might want to use the space, and how, and when, which don't help with long-term planning.

But the other thing that took them a while to figure out was who would want to use their space, and who would want to use their space sufficiently often that they could afford to keep that space open.

And that's a really complicated question.

I found their space useful for community events - classes, workshops, etc. But would I plan to go to a community space and do smaller group, specific tradition ritual? Generally, no. It's not private enough for the smaller-group stuff I want to do, and coordinating for times when it would be is complicated.  

For people with elaborate ritual setups, hauling the materials for their specific needs is a pain in the neck. (I know, having done this for a half-dozen years in the group I trained with.)

But for people who want a specific deity or pantheon to honour, they probably want some combination of specific iconography (which a communal space may not have), schedule flexibility (which a shared space may well not have), and privacy (which a shared space may not have.)

You've also got to consider exactly how many people will want to use a given space - one of the things Sacred Paths (the community center in Minnesota) had to figure out was that even though there are well over a thousand, and probably well over 2-3000 Pagans in the immediate metro area (it has an incredibly active and quite diverse Pagan community), only a relatively limited number would want to support the center for any one reason.

Some people valued having group ritual space - but were willing to deal with schedule limitations to be able to use it. Some people wanted community conversation space. Some people liked the idea, but in practice, were not going to make it over there very often, because a 30 minute drive each way (from the suburbs of Minneapolis and St. Paul to the near-center where Sacred Paths is) is too much.

As they've learned to diversify - and to recognise that there are bunches of people who think it's nice idea, but for whom supporting it is not a particular priority (often because those same people are supporting other Pagan community events, activities, or groups with their time and money, mind you...) they've gotten a more stable financial picture.

All of which is to say - I'm not sure a multi-faith Pagan temple is financially sustainable *most* places, without a lot of extremely careful groundwork, planning, labour, and attention to details over a long period of time. (By which I mean 5-10 years of ground work.)

And in the places I've seen multi-faith Pagan spaces work, it's generally meant a relationship in which at least one partner has a solid full-time job to provide a stable income and other practical needs (in the US, that includes access to health insurance), while the other partner works full time on the project, sometimes for years at a time before it's remotely self-sustaining. And a lot of weekends and evenings where you need to be around to let people in to use the space, or deal with a problem, or otherwise can't do *other* things that are necessary, healthy, and perhaps also requested by the Gods you serve.

The places I know that are exceptions to that have been a decade or more in the planning (I'm interested in what the new Open Hearth project in Washington D.C. is going to turn into - again, that's a major metro area, so they have a sizeable population to draw from, but it still took them over 10 years from idea to opening.)

None of this is to say success isn't possible. But I've seen a number of failures go by, too, that have left broken friendships, relationships, and massive massive debt in their wake. It's a project to go into extremely carefully, and in the smallest possible steps, with an extremely flexible and highly developed financial and practical plan that can be expanded stage by stage and remain sustainable.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:33:17 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;52415
The real thing with any project of this kind is that you *must* build in sustainability, and you must - for something to be sustainable - be sure you're building something that will meet the needs of the community you're asking to support it.

Good advice, I am sure that LWM will appreciate it.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:32 am »
Quote from: Wickerman;52453
Good advice, I am sure that LWM will appreciate it.

Last night my husband and I went put for dinner and as the sun set we watched a Muslim step out of the door across the street and knelt his head to ground in prayer.

Tacitus tolds us that no temples were erected in Europe. Sometimes there was a pole raised or a tree designated in which people would bend their knees and lower their heads.

It can be beautiful, that single moment of acknowledgement. Maybe start with that.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:51 am »
Quote from: LittleWitchMagazine;52412
I will reply to the comments later on, when I'm not on my mobile, but I realize I forgot to mention a vital point. This temple will be public, with lots of outreach programs and a place for any circle or solitary to come to and worship in their own way.

First off, I want to thank everyone for their input and I will reply to each one individually in a minute. I should first explain a bit about the Dutch pagan community as I understand it and why I want to look beyond it.

I will not (or at least I will not strive to) build a local Temple. There is no way something like that can be financially stable here with the scattered Pagan crowd that hangs around here. I want to create a space where people can stay over night, for weeks at a time, if they so desire, to study, practice and be with their faith in relative quiet. This will not be a community center; this will be more like a monastery.

It will be a place where you can walk in to pray to your Deities for a couple of minutes; be it for a workshop (not hosted by me); be it for the day to pray, work, eat and study; or be it for a longer time to come into your own. I will not aim this Temple at merely the Dutch crowd but also to Belgian, German and English Pagans. Is this a major undertaking? Yes, but I (nearly) have a degree in marketing, business communication and PR (courtesy to Hekate's / Hecate's previous intervention) and I know how to network. When I apply myself to this, I know I can reach my target audience. How they will react is out of my hands, however.

I greatly value every word written on this thread and I thank you for the constructive criticism. With every question, the ideas get clearer.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:58 am »
Quote from: PlaceboArtist;52395
Just a brain-fart on my part, but something that came into my mind was a main central (circular? though that would be hard to build. maybe octagonal) room, which could be multi-purpose. Then coming off that were eight smaller rooms, each dedicated to a pantheon. Nose would be in the northern room, Kemetic in the south, Vedic in the east for example.

Question: how much space are you able to get hold of?

I have faith that I will be able to get a hold of as much space as I desire. The Gods want this created so They will most likely make sure the spot fits them. Think large, though.

Thank you for your thoughts on the direction which the rooms should come. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. The basic idea closely resembles what I had in mind and I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your 'brain fart' ;)

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:10 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;52400

Thank you for your thoughts Heart-Shadow :)

I have a small temple in my home, set up for worship. This is, however, not what I was instructed to create. This is a huge undertaking and although I don't know what your Work is, it's blown everything I have been ever asked to do by anyone out of the water.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:15:19 am »
Quote from: Wickerman;52409
She has my support, the Gods dragged me here kicking and screaming. If they want it, then they will provide a means to the end. The chain of weird coincidence that lead me to this forum are, to me, undeniable evidence that this needs to be done.

Thank you Wickerman, you know how much your help and support is and has been appreciated <3

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 03:43:11 am »
Quote from: Jenett;52415

Dear Jenett,

Thank you for your insightful words and genuine feedback. You raise several very important points and I want to address a couple of them.

I plan to take at least ten years for this, and I'm not even sure I'm talking construction/refitting yet. There is so much I need to sort out first; what is needed, who will use it... all the points raised. I have written in one of my other posts that this will not be a local Temple (if I can manage it). This, besides brushing up on my language courses, means that finding out who would require what and who would be willing to travel to find it is a lot harder.

I would work my ass off for an (on-line) schedule where everyone can reserve certain halls or rooms for a set fee and a specific time. This would ensure privacy for rituals or workshops and leave the Temple open for visits beyond that. For personal sacrifice... well, I'm not saying to follow the Christian path but they seem to manage pretty well with personal space and prayer in a community domain. It might need a bit adjustment here and there and it will not for everyone but there is something to say for sharing space with others of your faith.

The whole thing will be wheelchair- and car accessible (to a point, of course) so hauling material won't be so bad. Carts could be provided for the final walk.

One thing cán be said for the Dutch Pagan community and that is that, because the pickings are so slim here, people will gladly travel anywhere from one to three hours to reach a workshops space of festival. Even by train or bus and then walk for a good couple of minutes.

The financial plan is still... unclear, to say the least. Of course there would be a cost for renting halls/rooms for ritual or a workshop. Right now I'm thinking on charging for every person who joins instead of a set fee because that would keep away small groups. You would also pay for overnight stays and meals (although this should probably be included in your overnight stay). Helping out around the Temple would give a discount. I was thinking an (annual) membership where you get a discount in the store (but not on rent). Perhaps sponsor festivals where stores can purchase space and there is an entry fee which goes to the Temple.

I would grow our own vegetables and make sure we are as self-reliant as possible in terms of energy and food so the costs are a bit lower in that department.

Of course, I am open to any and all feedback/advice/ideas on this point.

Once again, thank you.

Tags: