collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: FK TOTM: FlameKeeping & <Insert Religion Here>  (Read 2234 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
FK TOTM: FlameKeeping & <Insert Religion Here>
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »
FlameKeeping is not only a religious philosophy in and of itself but is a foundation on which a religious practice can be built.  As Vieva says in Keeping the Sacred Flame,

...FlameKeeping is a mindset. It’s a set of tools for looking at the world and our place in it, not a set of rituals or observances. Other pagan religions, if they’re compatible with pantheism, should be compatible with FlameKeeping. It is religious in that it has a concept about the spiritual nature of the universe, but mostly it’s about the nuts and bolts of everyday life.

What is this for? It’s for all the people looking for an ethical framework to hang the rituals and observances onto. There are so many religious options out there, but almost none speak to daily life. This is an attempt to change that.

Many self-identified FlameKeepers practice it in conjunction with another religious path.  Keeping this in mind, along with the fact that FlameKeepers do not (usually) consider pantheism and polytheism to be mutually exclusive...

1. Do you have any religious practices aside from FlameKeeping?

2. Have you used FlameKeeping as a foundation to build your own religious path, or combined it with something pre-existing?

3. How does FlameKeeping affect your other religious practices?

4. Does FlameKeeping affect your religious relationships? (Deities, Dead, Spirits, entities-in-between...)

5. Have your other religious practices had an impact on FlameKeeping?

(Questions by me, intro by Veggie, because I was having epic word fail.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:38:16 pm by veggiewolf »
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
Re: FK TOTM: FlameKeeping & <Insert Religion Here>
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05:44 pm »
To answer my own questions...

Quote from: Juni;51697

Yes. I am building a path I call MistSeeking, which is eclectic and draws from Kemetic, Irish Celtic, Hellenic and New England American cultural sources.

2. Have you used FlameKeeping as a foundation to build your own religious path, or combined it with something pre-existing?

Yes and no? My path is my own, but FK has a lot in common with the Kemetic concept of ma'at. Aside from the mystery of the Bright Flame/Dark Flame, I'd say most of FK writings are modern interpretations of ma'at.

It keeps me mindful of the need for balance, and helps me find a concrete way to express my attitude towards the universe in my actions.

4. Does FlameKeeping affect your religious relationships? (Deities, Dead, Spirits, entities-in-between...)

(How do I forget as I ask questions that I will in fact have to answer them later? :o) Not any more so than it does my other relationships, I don't think. FK speaks to how I should interact with the universe; the Gods, the Dead, the Spirits are all part of the universe.

I would say not really, as I haven't been a good minion and done much in the way of contribution. :ashamed: I do have a project idea in mind but it's still very fluid and hazy, so I don't want to open my mouth lest the whole thing evaporate.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:39 pm »

Yes. Kemetic and Shinto.

I combined it with something that I was already doing. Kemeticism is kind of a dead religion. FK helps me to find ways to live Kemeticism, to make it more living. FK also helps me to find ways to combine my Kemeticism and Shintoism into a more fluid practice.

Helps me embrace the divinity in all of us, which helps me to work more within the contexts of ma'at. By understanding the divinity of the world, I think it creates a good minset for living ma'at. As for Shinto, it just helps to make it more approachable. The concepts I've learned with FK and Kemeticism translate well into Shintoism.

Not that I know of.

I don't know? Maybe?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »

I am still seeking a more well trodden path, but I do have practices and part of that is seeking.

Pre-existing. I am a noob to Flamekeeping but the focus on thoughtfulness blends almost seamlessly into what I already do. It's been more of a reinforcement.

What I have done so far with it allows me to direct my reflections by honing in on aspects of religion in daily life. For example, while contemplating a prompt, I've been able to find the words to bring an idea to full expression that I had not realized was even a full thought.

I do not know yet. I tend to think the habit of thoughtfulness will allow some dispassion to enter this arena for me and thereby a greater sense of calm and control.  As of now, I am still fighting some fears of dipping into these areas fully.

This I would not know. Sorry!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:00:33 pm »

Yes.  In addition to FlameKeeping I practice a Kemetic path that includes some reconstructionist elements, some newly created elements, and mysticism.

Pre-existing.  I am combining FK with the path I mentioned above.  It works really well, and the concepts involved with FK are very similar to those in Kemeticism.

FK reinforces my religious practices.  It gives me another set of ideas from which to draw and helps me apply my beliefs to daily life, something other paths often lack.

Not entirely, although I was incorporating items from FlameKeeping into my practice before I knew that it existed.   I know my religious relationships have improved since embracing FK but I'm unsure as to whether that's a direct effect.

Yes.  I've been able to contribute a few essays/discussions for FK that are influenced heavily by my approach to Divine Order.

(Questions by me, intro by Veggie, because I was having epic word fail.)

*blushes*
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »
FlameKeeping is not only a religious philosophy in and of itself but is a foundation on which a religious practice can be built.  As Vieva says in Keeping the Sacred Flame,

Many self-identified FlameKeepers practice it in conjunction with another religious path.  Keeping this in mind, along with the fact that FlameKeepers do not (usually) consider pantheism and polytheism to be mutually exclusive...

Yes, I'm Wiccan, and I've recently began worshiping Brigid.

I wouldn't say that exactly. Much of Wicca, tho, is about balance; and in FKing, seeking within myself has led me to be much more balanced. All of that, in turn, helps me to help keep energy and environment around me more balanced.

Oh, I guess I kind of answered that in question 2.

Again, for me, so much of this is about balance. FKing is a tremendous help in keeping me balanced, which helps me when working with Brighid, the Ancestors, or Spirits.

Not so much and FKing has had on them.

(Questions by me, intro by Veggie, because I was having epic word fail.)[/QUOTE]

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

Yes, I work with Aphrodite and honor my ancestors.

I'm kind of in the process of building my own practice based on the FK concept.

Doesn't really affect the ancestors but with Aphrodite I tie her work into the FlameKeeping goal of improvement of the Universe.

No, I don't think so.

Tags: