collapse

Author Topic: Where to start with Feri?  (Read 5637 times)

Emma

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Where to start with Feri?
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »
I'd like to learn more about Feri and would appreciate recommendations for the fundamentals. I'd like to get a stronger sense of whether or not it's for me before I seek a teacher or class.

So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

I've also read through feritradition.org site and am beginning to check out the external links one by one. I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that. Is this site (feritradition.org) credible, and/or are there other credible sites I should look at?

Any help with Feri-specific starter resources would be greatly appreciated.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3040

I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that.

You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book? So you won't find anything according to a neo-wicca-ish DIY book.

As other resources go, you might want to try http://www.wiggage.com/witch/fericontents.html and Evolutionary Witchcraft by Thorn Coyle.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »
So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

Starhawk's work is in the Reclaiming tradition; while Reclaiming is descended from Feri, it is indeed Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies.

Publishing about Feri at all is extremely controversial in the Feri community, which means, among other things, anything that you see will be reflecting a very limited fraction of the community.

Thorn's Evolutionary Witchcraft, for example, is a somewhat polished version of the class notes to her two-year Feri tools class back from when she was teaching Feri (regularly?  I'm not sure if she's given it up entirely).  Anaar's White Wand (I believe available as a download from http://www.whitewand.com/ now, though I have it in hardcopy) deals with a very specific subject, as does Etheric Anatomy, by the Andersons themselves.

Also worth considering are Lilith's Lantern and Thorns of the Blood Rose, volumes of Victor's poetry, and Fifty Years in the Feri Tradition and Kitchen Witch: A Memoir, by Cora.

None of this will give you the tradition, but it may give you enough about the tradition to evaluate where you want to go.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Emma

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
Quote from: Tana;3044
You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book? So you won't find anything according to a neo-wicca-ish DIY book.

You know, I thought I had read something like that along the way, but I figured it was metaphorical.

I'll look at that site, thanks.

Emma

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;3046
Starhawk's work is in the Reclaiming tradition; while Reclaiming is descended from Feri, it is indeed Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies.
None of this will give you the tradition, but it may give you enough about the tradition to evaluate where you want to go.

I think I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned the Cunningham book. I only meant to provide a comparison by way of writing style, not content; but if it's not meant to even be published, then that is a moot point anyway.

I didn't really mean to say I'm looking for a "For Dummies" book. I just want to get a better sense of, as you said, what it's about, and make sure the information is credible to decide whether or not I should invest my time and resources in seeking a teacher. This confirmation is very helpful.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3069
I think I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned the Cunningham book. I only meant to provide a comparison by way of writing style, not content; but if it's not meant to even be published, then that is a moot point anyway.

I didn't really mean to say I'm looking for a "For Dummies" book. I just want to get a better sense of, as you said, what it's about, and make sure the information is credible to decide whether or not I should invest my time and resources in seeking a teacher. This confirmation is very helpful.

IME, there's more of the sort of thing you're looking for available online (the site Tana recommended is very accessible) than in print books.

It's not exactly a case of "not meant to be published", per se; it's more just that so much of the substance of Feri can't be conveyed in words - but words on a page make it really easy for people to think it's been conveyed.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;3116
It's not exactly a case of "not meant to be published", per se; it's more just that so much of the substance of Feri can't be conveyed in words - but words on a page make it really easy for people to think it's been conveyed.

Also, the act of publishing Feri stuff makes half the community pissed off. ;P
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

sugarmagnolia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:12:01 am »
I'd like to learn more about Feri and would appreciate recommendations for the fundamentals. I'd like to get a stronger sense of whether or not it's for me before I seek a teacher or class.

I've also read through feritradition.org site and am beginning to check out the external links one by one. I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that. Is this site (feritradition.org) credible, and/or are there other credible sites I should look at?

If you can, check out The Mystic Dream in Walnut Creek, CA.  Storm often holds classes there and while I have not personally met him, some people I know and trust have and vouch for him.

You won't find much written about the Feri tradition because it can be difficult to nail down in words.  It is also an initiatory tradition and quite a bit is oath bound.  I can tell you that if you were to put 30 followers of Feri in one room you're liable to end up with 32 different flavors of Feri.  This is due in part to Victor's methods of teaching and not that any of those "flavors" are necessarily wrong.

sugarmagnolia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:43 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;3329
Also, the act of publishing Feri stuff makes half the community pissed off. ;P

Yup.  It's the same tired old argument that comes up every so often.  I personally believe that more should be published, to prevent bits and pieces from being lost completely.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:41:35 am »
Quote from: Tana;3044
You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book?

I've discovered this too, so whilst i'm reading anything i can get my hands on, I've been trying to find a group in Australia. So far no luck, but if anyone has heard of any groups in Oz let me know.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:54:30 pm »

Keep in account that Victor Anderson Feri tradition was strongly influenced by Huna Shamanism (and i think i remember, Appalacian folk magick?) - so when I was interested in that path, I made a lot of searching into Huna. I found it very beneficial to fill in the blanks of the info i found online on Feri.

I think you might find in pdf book by laura hadley 'Huna' if you are intersted - it's quite good.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Tags: