Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Deepening Reconstructionism Locally: Your Take?  (Read 5487 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Deepening Reconstructionism Locally: Your Take?
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »
I read a blog post today that really resonated with me. (Actually, a lot of what Dver posts makes my brain sit up and take notice.) I wanted to get others' opinions on this particular aspect:

In North America, for instance, I have felt Dionysos connected to the buffalo rather than the bull, as it is the native large horned animal. Sekhmet may manifest as a cougar in the north, rather than an African lion. Odin comes from a land of harsh winters, but what aspects will emerge in the desert? I am not suggesting that one simply imagine the appropriate associations – it’s not a game to play – but rather that one be open to a true experience of the gods as They appear in the world that one knows first-hand.

I loved this. I loved everything about it. I think it's fantastic and bloody brilliant.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:43:09 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

LiminalAuggie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Deepening Reconstructionism Locally: Your Take?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:55 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;48912

I loved this. I loved everything about it. I think it's fantastic and bloody brilliant.

My thoughts are pretty much this!
It struck me while reading that article that her (?) approach is basically the same way I'm trying to figure out a solid spiritual structure relevant to my environment. I've never identified as reconstructionist, though, perhaps more like constructionist? But that sounds a little silly to my own ears.

As for the gods' appearance suiting the environment, that makes sense to me in a sort of academic logical way, but I have barely any experience interacting with gods at all until recently, so I still have a lot of ingrained associations with white marble statues and the like.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:12 am »

I agree now and have in the past. I don't live in Athens during the Classical Era and all the evidence we have tends to show that the Gods tended to interact with people  in local ways.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:33 pm »

The idea makes sense. And I love the added bonus that if this is done more frequently, then awareness of issues that threaten or could enhance local environments will be taken more seriously by more people.

Even as things tend toward green, there are still those who would value money more because there are never enough strip malls apparently.

It's spring here so I've started riding a trail again. It's stretch through local woods and farm land and it makes a nice 20+ mile fitness ride. But in the last several years I have taken to studying the wild plants and animals on it. Getting off the bike and forgoing the mph goals in order to examine how the nature lives has enhanced my life in ways I cannot fully express. When I study something else, like a god or goddess or a philosophy, the material is invariably understood at a deeper when I can relate it to the nature I encounter.

So I go backwards with it a bit because the nature has come before the knowledge, but it seems like it works out the same. I am somewhat envious of the intimate knowledge of different pantheons people have. Such knowledge might empower me to appreciate things differently.

I have read sometimes that the historic places that tourists or pilgrims go to have undergone severe damage due to the traffic. It might go a ways in stemming that destruction if people permitted themselves to see the divine in their own surroundings.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »

Just realized that a variant of this is exactly what I've been doing with my Bardic training. I'm not in Ireland, have never been there, and I can't exactly pack up to get "traditional" training, but acting, writing, and choir seem to work just fine.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »
I read a blog post today that really resonated with me. (Actually, a lot of what Dver posts makes my brain sit up and take notice.) I wanted to get others' opinions on this particular aspect:

I don't know if this is applicable to heathen recon. The desert flora and fauna are their own unique community of personalities and not redefined aspects of the gods.

Heathenry is already a system that includes dealing with your immediate environment and immediate influences. The NA folklore of local landspirits and ghouls are something I have to take into account as I'm a member of this community.

It all rests on the idea that we are products of earth along with the living plants, living waters, living mountainscape. We live among other creatures and shades and form that community I've emphasized already.

Odin as Buffalo wouldn't work because the Buffalo is the Buffalo. The Black Hills are the personality of the Black Hills. Gods exist here and there, culturally, among their people but they are the structures of society not the landscape the structure is built upon.

There are things that are almost timeless, eternal, permanent and unchanging: death, war, sex, seasons. Our societies base themselves around these institutions, around the gods of them. They aren't going anywhere and we ask for their leniency and blessings. This natural law of the gods, this cemented structure is why- in heathenry- there isn't much stress on individual relationships with the reginn. They are the laws that shape our lives already. A hawk eating a mouse in the desert is Odin's arena, but there's no need to find Odin in the hawk or the mouse.

It is the lower mythological creatures and personalities that we live side by side with and interact with- The ones we see in our fairytales and folklore, the ones that place missing items in plain view or who hide them in spite- Developing relationships with those neighbors as they are is the heart of (heathen) recon, IMO.

Hope that made sense. Lost my train of thought a bit.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:41:05 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;49489
Heathenry is already a system that includes dealing with your immediate environment and immediate influences.

In other words, you agree with the essence of the blog post.

Either that, or 'heathenry' has no meaning outside of its cultural source.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:48 am »

I can see parts of it and how it would be of benefit.  Yet I wonder how much is taken from the indeginious peoples by dropping their gods / goddess and Spirits?

It's like sure you can say the Buffalo remind you of ______ but what about the native peoples who see it as Tatanka and its sacred role with regards to things like White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing or Wankan Tanka?  Even to the importance it had upon the entire society of the plains and how each and every part was used and honored for its use.

The Greeks when they went into Egypt did identify a lot of the local gods / goddess to their Greek counter parts yet those gods also retained their local flavor and names as well.  For instance Bast and Pahket retain their Egyptian identities even as they gain an association to Artemis.  But perhaps more importantly the Greeks acknowledged the Egyptian identities of thier gods / goddesses as well as the Greek titles, thus some documents and records say Artemis others say Bast or Pahket yet all recorded by the Greeks.

To me it would be like going to Hawaii and saying no that's not Pelie that's Vulcan just ot make yourself feel better and more of a recon.  Yet the mountain and landscape identify with and as Pelie who has been the island goddess of the volcano for as long as memories have been around.

While I'm not saying all would be so rude or bold as to denounce Pelie for Vulcan I can see how it would be done by some.  Done even as it was an affront to the local peoples and the god / goddess (s) and spirits of those places.  All in the name of trying to make ones own spiritual practices more encompassing of the landscape one finds themself in.  Then wonder why their is mistrust and hatred against various religious practices and peoples.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:22 am »
Quote from: cigfran;49507
In other words, you agree with the essence of the blog post.

I didn't read the blog,  just what the OP quotes as most relevant. I didn't think the methods suggested necessarily applied to heathenry because a) the gods are not manifest in the wildlife b) the weather/climate/environment doesn't have any bearing on Odin's (for example) area of function and c) being open to the natural environment has little to do with the concept of deity and reconing Germania in the desert, and more to do with being a community with the natural spirits and wights as they are.

And sometimes (if you're really true to recon), you just get new local gods instead of transporting old ones onto a landscape with an obvious community of individual personalities/spirits already.

Maybe that matches up with the entire blog post. I'll have to read it.

Either that, or 'heathenry' has no meaning outside of its cultural source.

What?
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:57 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;49513
To me it would be like going to Hawaii and saying no that's not Pelie that's Vulcan just ot make yourself feel better and more of a recon.  Yet the mountain and landscape identify with and as Pelie who has been the island goddess of the volcano for as long as memories have been around.

While I'm not saying all would be so rude or bold as to denounce Pelie for Vulcan I can see how it would be done by some.  Done even as it was an affront to the local peoples and the god / goddess (s) and spirits of those places.  All in the name of trying to make ones own spiritual practices more encompassing of the landscape one finds themself in.  Then wonder why their is mistrust and hatred against various religious practices and peoples.

Of course, "going native" is also seen as highly offensive by some, so one is kind of stuck, no?

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:50 am »
I can see parts of it and how it would be of benefit.  Yet I wonder how much is taken from the indeginious peoples by dropping their gods / goddess and Spirits?

It's like sure you can say the Buffalo remind you of ______ but what about the native peoples who see it as Tatanka and its sacred role with regards to things like White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing or Wankan Tanka?  Even to the importance it had upon the entire society of the plains and how each and every part was used and honored for its use.

The Greeks when they went into Egypt did identify a lot of the local gods / goddess to their Greek counter parts yet those gods also retained their local flavor and names as well.  For instance Bast and Pahket retain their Egyptian identities even as they gain an association to Artemis.  But perhaps more importantly the Greeks acknowledged the Egyptian identities of thier gods / goddesses as well as the Greek titles, thus some documents and records say Artemis others say Bast or Pahket yet all recorded by the Greeks.

I could be incorrect, but I don't think Dver goes around to Native Americans and says, "Your buffalo is tehsuck. Mine is better because it is Dionysos."

Personally, I have begun to associate my gods with who they were in ancient practices, but also who they are, to me, today in the land that I live. Am I taking away from the peoples who lived here before? I don't think so. I'm not supplanting their gods or lore with my own. I'm merely finding a connection between my gods, my land, and how it works for me.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:36 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;49539
I could be incorrect, but I don't think Dver goes around to Native Americans and says, "Your buffalo is tehsuck. Mine is better because it is Dionysos."

Personally, I have begun to associate my gods with who they were in ancient practices, but also who they are, to me, today in the land that I live. Am I taking away from the peoples who lived here before? I don't think so. I'm not supplanting their gods or lore with my own. I'm merely finding a connection between my gods, my land, and how it works for me.

I suppose it would depend.  For instance you mention seeing Sehkmet as the Lion in North America.  Yet do the native people and the land see it in the same way?  We call it a lion yet it is actually a cougar and a medicine creature.  Yet does it equate the same and do you really know enough about the native outlook about the Cougar to see what the lore is and how it might cross equate to Sekhmet?

If one looks to the Greeks for instance and how they equated the Greek gods / goddesses to the Egyptian ones we find they took the time to actually discover who and what those gods were and identified them by purpose and lore.  It wasn't a simple of its a big cat so it must equate to this god / goddess.

It's like lets take Loki for instance one could look to Coyote and see many of the same traits and trickery.  So a fair cross over could be seen then coupled to the creature's that are associated to coyote and seen as tricksters themselves.  Then see the very trickery that the living coyote has and how it intereacts and manipulates its envoronment. Rabbit at times is a trickster.  One could look to the Thunder Bird and have somewhat of a cross-over equation to Thor as a good of thunder and lightning.  One might even equate the color of gold as seen with Thor at times to the Thunder Bird with its golden body.  Even to how one can look at say the condor or other large birds and their associations to the air movements, assocaitions to large mountainous areas, etc and how those same traits are seen in the Thunder Bird.  Then the building up of storms as the air currents carry the clouds and such to the mountain ranges before causing the rains.

But the Cougar to the Lioness?  Even the family struture and workings of the two cats are very different so how would you see the supposed similarities?  Heck if your looking at a cat that tears and rips apart you could also look to the bobcat, even more so when you consider that many times they are border creature's and come into the cultivated lands.

So if your going to do as the blog said and find the ways ones gods / goddesses could be seen in a differing environment and different aspects of them one would think you'd have to know a bit about the environment your trying to compare them to.   To understand that relationship one serves best by seeing how the native peoples of that area see it and understand it to be.  Especially since they are the ones who would have ascribed how it is and how it has acted towards the people.

In a way this all reminds me of the many arguments one hears about how Christanity came and decided what or how a thing was to be viewed.  Little regard for the peoples that lived there and had already factored in all of that into their own mythos and spirituality. Simply placing their own view upon things and not even trying to find out how they might have matched.  Then justifying it by saying it was only for thier own ends and purposes.

I suppose for me it goes back to the old addage ..When in Rome do as the Romans do.. By doing that you find out just what it all means and how it might be related or support each other.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:06 am »

Right. If I move to Japan the gods aren't already there waiting for me. Japan has it's own gods and it's own land spirits. I would bring my gods with me, who would reside in- and view me through- my idols of them. There isn't a need to see them in the local environment because they aren't present there. But I can acknowledge and interact with that local community of spirits that directly influences me, even if I don't have a relationship with the local deities.

On the same token, they aren't a concentrated presence in the overall land of Northern Europe, either. The hills of Bavaria don't necessarily have an equal presence of Woden at the same time as the Black Forest. The gods move through places, they aren't in all places. They can't exist in the tree that already has its own personality/spirit. They can't exist in Pele's volcano.

The desert is its own living thing, not a blank canvas to be colored in by gods. I approach that living thing as a heathen, but that doesn't mean it can be reconstructed into a heathen structure.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:18:45 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;49541

I suppose for me it goes back to the old addage ..When in Rome do as the Romans do.. By doing that you find out just what it all means and how it might be related or support each other.

So then, why did you decide that the deer you met on your mountain trail was Artemis and not Deer?  Were you in Greece?

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:48 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;49542
Right. If I move to Japan the gods aren't already there waiting for me. Japan has it's own gods and it's own land spirits. I would bring my gods with me, who would reside in- and view me through- my idols of them. There isn't a need to see them in the local environment because they aren't present there. But I can acknowledge and interact with that local community of spirits that directly influences me, even if I don't have a relationship with the local deities.

On the same token, they aren't a concentrated presence in the overall land of Northern Europe, either. The hills of Bavaria don't necessarily have an equal presence of Woden at the same time as the Black Forest. The gods move through places, they aren't in all places. They can't exist in the tree that already has its own personality/spirit. They can't exist in Pele's volcano.

The desert is its own living thing, not a blank canvas to be colored in by gods. I approach that living thing as a heathen, but that doesn't mean it can be reconstructed into a heathen structure.

I'm much more inclined to believe this is true of place-specific deities... you know, gods of land features, local flora and fauna, or culture-specific practices. But celestial bodies? Ideas, emotions and intangibles? Those things "travel" with me.

Tags: