• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Obod?
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:51:30 am »
Anyone here belong to OBOD? I've been circling around the idea of joining and doing their coursework for some time, but I'd like to get some opinions from regular folks who've done the work (and not just off the website, where of course they're going to sell themselves...)

Thanks!
Karen

Summer Song

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Obod?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:02:09 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;47373
Anyone here belong to OBOD? I've been circling around the idea of joining and doing their coursework for some time, but I'd like to get some opinions from regular folks who've done the work (and not just off the website, where of course they're going to sell themselves...)

Thanks!
Karen

Hi Karen!
I am currently taking an OBOD Bardic course and I enjoy it a lot. There is a lot of lore, exercises and materials included and they also have a big community where you can discuss your lessons. The only issue that you might consider is that so far I see that they are really "fluffy"and open-minded when it comes to practice, meaning you will find as much "authentic" stuff there as some beautiful additions, stories, poems and legend variations added by the course authors. The ritual structure is very Wiccan-influenced with casting the circle, opening the quarters and calling the guardians. I have no problem with that because I already have a background in a reconstructionist Druidic tradition and I'm fully enjoying the "soft" stuff there. So if you would like to have inspiring stuff to read and to join a vibrant community of nice people, you will love it! If you would like to go more traditional reconstructionist, sticking to the lore, I would recommend taking the ADF Dedicant Course. I'm actually taking both and they make a great combination - as they are so different, it gives me the opportunity of seeing the bigger picture and knowing both approaches, which broadens the view significantly :). Another thing is if you are interested in joining the events, you might also consider the location - OBOD is UK-based, and ADF is American, so the communities are located accordingly.
Have a nice day!
Alisa

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:56 am »

Thanks!
Karen

I also started the OBOD course - being based on the Welsh lore it seemed initially a  perfect fit.  

The further I got, the more at odds with the coursework I became. Much too "wiccish" for me although some of the exercises are quite useful. When I caught myself throwing the literature across the room  I knew it was time to stop.

I may skim through the rest of the course literature I have and cherry pick a few bits out of it but most of it doesn't resonate at all with me.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:31 am »

Thanks!
Karen

I'm so glad you're finally getting some replies!  I looked into the OBOD course myself before settling on ADF - honestly, mainly for financial reasons.  Hearing that the OBOD is very 'wiccish' makes me very glad I made that decision; I've been working in a 'wiccish' framework for years and have no desire to pay a great deal for introductory material I already know.

Another option you might be interested in is a group I'm working with, the New Order of Druids.  Their website is druidcircle.org.  They are a smaller organization based in Belgium that offers free Druid classes.  They are much more like the OBOD in their open, tolerant framework; they accept people of all faiths and their coursework can be fit into just about any worldview, as long as you like nature and Celtic cultures!  The ADF, as you probably know, has a much stronger opinion on the common things its members should believe.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »
Quote from: MysticalMama;47630
I'm so glad you're finally getting some replies!  I looked into the OBOD course myself before settling on ADF - honestly, mainly for financial reasons.  Hearing that the OBOD is very 'wiccish' makes me very glad I made that decision; I've been working in a 'wiccish' framework for years and have no desire to pay a great deal for introductory material I already know.

I've been slowly working through the bardic course as well. It is definitely 'druish' in tone and very heavy on 101 but that has its uses as well.

Another option you might be interested in is a group I'm working with, the New Order of Druids.  Their website is druidcircle.org.  They are a smaller organization based in Belgium that offers free Druid classes.  They are much more like the OBOD in their open, tolerant framework; they accept people of all faiths and their coursework can be fit into just about any worldview, as long as you like nature and Celtic cultures!  The ADF, as you probably know, has a much stronger opinion on the common things its members should believe.

ADF isn't intolerant, it's an orthopraxic religion and there are members who are Wiccan among other things. All that's strictly stipulated is the Core Order of Ritual and what constitutes an ADF rite vs. an ADF inspired rite. Many members have personal rites that aren't strictly ADF/CoOR it is understood that for a rite to be publically announced and held as an ADF rite it has to adhere to the CoOR but that's (generally speaking) about it.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »
Quote from: Asch;47706

ADF isn't intolerant, it's an orthopraxic religion and there are members who are Wiccan among other things. All that's strictly stipulated is the Core Order of Ritual and what constitutes an ADF rite vs. an ADF inspired rite. Many members have personal rites that aren't strictly ADF/CoOR it is understood that for a rite to be publically announced and held as an ADF rite it has to adhere to the CoOR but that's (generally speaking) about it.

Oh, I never meant to imply that ADF is intolerant, though in retrospect, my poor wording may have made it seem so.  I just think they're a lot more narrow in their focus - polytheistic hearth cultures - whereas one can join the OBOD or NOD and be completely at home as a Christian Druid, or some other unlikely-seeming combination.  I personally enjoy and appreciate both approaches, but ADF seems sort of built to have a narrower appeal.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:08:06 pm »
Quote from: MysticalMama;47722
Oh, I never meant to imply that ADF is intolerant, though in retrospect, my poor wording may have made it seem so.  I just think they're a lot more narrow in their focus - polytheistic hearth cultures - whereas one can join the OBOD or NOD and be completely at home as a Christian Druid, or some other unlikely-seeming combination.  I personally enjoy and appreciate both approaches, but ADF seems sort of built to have a narrower appeal.

I'd say that's accurate, it's definitely a polytheistic IE/PIE focused scholarly (in intention) group/organization as opposed to others.

I'm a member of OBOD and ADF but I doubt I'll pursue OBOD beyond the Bardic level.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:21:16 am »

Thanks!
Karen

IIRC, OBOD has an online forum where you can post questions and learn more about the program through existing members.  Of course, this will be a bit biased, but it's worth a shot.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:23:32 am »
Quote from: Asch;47727
I'd say that's accurate, it's definitely a polytheistic IE/PIE focused scholarly (in intention) group/organization as opposed to others.

I'm a member of OBOD and ADF but I doubt I'll pursue OBOD beyond the Bardic level.

O/T:  Asch, do you ever participate in the ADF email list/discussion forums?

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:42 am »
Quote from: darashand;48136
O/T:  Asch, do you ever participate in the ADF email list/discussion forums?

Yup. I mostly lurk though.

Raincloud

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:43:45 am »

Thanks!
Karen

I was involved on their forum (OBOD), and intended to join but, the thing that has always stopped me in this price. I've never been able to justify that much. And it's a bit with the UK exchange rate for me.

I've joined ADF, and to be honest I would recommend them more. Their community seems more serious about their religion. There are some really creative minds and hard workers in ADF.

I haven't started my dedicant work yet as I'm exploring Wicca, but most likely I will start at the end of this year.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »
Quote from: Raincloud;48814
I've joined ADF, and to be honest I would recommend them more. Their community seems more serious about their religion. There are some really creative minds and hard workers in ADF.

I've been an ADF member for several years, though I still haven't settled down to work on my DP. Maybe soon... I've decided I need to just work on practicing Druidry and finding a place to fit that alongside my Wiccan practices.

For the other ADF members here, if you see a Karen posting with an email address of witchturtle @ gmail, that's me. :)

Karen

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »

I've nearly finished the Bardic course. It's been an experience. For the complete beginner it would be excellent - it's a very good introduction (with some caveats of course). It would also suit many eclectic, Wiccan-influenced (as has been mentioned above) and generally spiritual-but-not-religious people. I need structure in a very serious way, and I'm also a polytheist (not too common in OBOD from my experience), so I'm looking into ADF. I'll probably take the OBOD Ovate course at some point, unless I get focused on something else. There has been good stuff in the Bardic grade.

Another alternative people might want to consider is the British Druid Order course. It's a new course and really very good - plus it's all sent out online and is therefore a lot cheaper than OBOD. They lean a bit more towards reconstructionism than OBOD, and are quite scholarly and thoughtful. I started their Bardic course a couple of years ago, before getting distracted and then deciding OBOD would be a better fit (which was a mistake). I will go back and finish it at some point, now that I actually know what I'm looking for.

There's also a lot of stuff on the Druid Network site (I'm a member of theirs too - I seem to be collecting all the Orders). Some of their exercises and info on that website almost add up to an introductory course - and they're generally excellent. They're more about networking than training, hence the name. I like what they're doing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:30:03 pm by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:03:30 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;67827
I've nearly finished the Bardic course. It's been an experience. For the complete beginner it would be excellent - it's a very good introduction (with some caveats of course). It would also suit many eclectic, Wiccan-influenced (as has been mentioned above) and generally spiritual-but-not-religious people. I need structure in a very serious way, and I'm also a polytheist (not too common in OBOD from my experience), so I'm looking into ADF. I'll probably take the OBOD Ovate course at some point, unless I get focused on something else. There has been good stuff in the Bardic grade.

Another alternative people might want to consider is the British Druid Order course. It's a new course and really very good - plus it's all sent out online and is therefore a lot cheaper than OBOD. They lean a bit more towards reconstructionism than OBOD, and are quite scholarly and thoughtful. I started their Bardic course a couple of years ago, before getting distracted and then deciding OBOD would be a better fit (which was a mistake). I will go back and finish it at some point, now that I actually know what I'm looking for.

There's also a lot of stuff on the Druid Network site (I'm a member of theirs too - I seem to be collecting all the Orders). Some of their exercises and info on that website almost add up to an introductory course - and they're generally excellent. They're more about networking than training, hence the name. I like what they're doing.

My first reaction when I found out about OBOD and how widespread its influence was one of distrust.  I view OBOD as too monolithic a Druidic group an organisation to trust and I view the Pagan Federation in a similar manner.  I intend to begin the BDO's Bardic course when I can afford it.
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 05:11:40 am »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;69497
My first reaction when I found out about OBOD and how widespread its influence was one of distrust.  I view OBOD as too monolithic a Druidic group an organisation to trust and I view the Pagan Federation in a similar manner.  I intend to begin the BDO's Bardic course when I can afford it.

There may be some truth to this and I share a leery perspective of large organizations but it's a bit unfair to write the whole org off at the knees simply for the crime of success. /rant

I'm re-starting the bardic coursework. I've been swamped with work and school but I finished my B.S. in July and work has settled down though I'm applying for a temporary leadership position tomorrow so I may have to set things aside again lol. I think for me the sticking point has been the fairly 'elaborate' style rituals with the requirement of a circle etc. On the OBOD boards many folks note they basically visualize these steps. I'm honestly crap at visualization but I'm going to give it a shot this go'round. I'm determined to complete the Bardic level as I already have the materials dangit.

My progress in the DP for ADF has been sidetracked as well but happily the group I've been meeting / in touch with locally have finally submitted our paperwork to become a proper proto-grove which is super exciting.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:12:09 am by Asch »

Tags: