collapse

Author Topic: What is your one Must Have Herb?  (Read 5231 times)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What is your one Must Have Herb?
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »
Hopefully this post is in the right spot, I couln't really find any appropriate section. But feel free to move it.

So we are starting our garden here soon, and have a list of different plants and herbs we want to grow. I am so excited to dig in the dirt. I just feel so alive when I am outside.

I was curious, what is one herb you can not live without? Either for cooking, or ritual? And why this Herb?

I'm just looking for some more awesome things to grow.

I am really big on trying to grow Meadowsweet right now. Has anyone else had anyluck or expirience with this?

Thanks for any and all input!
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: What is your one Must Have Herb?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;46998
Hopefully this post is in the right spot, I couln't really find any appropriate section. But feel free to move it.

So we are starting our garden here soon, and have a list of different plants and herbs we want to grow. I am so excited to dig in the dirt. I just feel so alive when I am outside.

I was curious, what is one herb you can not live without? Either for cooking, or ritual? And why this Herb?

I am really big on trying to grow Meadowsweet right now. Has anyone else had anyluck or expirience with this?

I always have rosemary and lavender around my house. I honestly couldn't say why it's these two herbs, but they're the ones in my herb cabinet that I pay most attention to when they're low.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;46999
I always have rosemary and lavender around my house. I honestly couldn't say why it's these two herbs, but they're the ones in my herb cabinet that I pay most attention to when they're low.

I'll second rosemary. It's good for cleansing, banishing, protection and chicken!

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;47002
I'll second rosemary. It's good for cleansing, banishing, protection and chicken!

Sage, for pretty much the same reasons. Plus, leaves make for a well-received offering to Hekate too.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

I'd say mint for me. I love to make tea with it, calming and refreshing. I also love to use thyme

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;46999

I love Rosemary also!

My biggest go to would be Basil. I have always loved it, and put it in practically everything.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;47022
I'd say mint for me. I love to make tea with it, calming and refreshing. I also love to use thyme

I love Mint!
We grow alot of Chamomile and Lavender for tea! I just might have to add mint to the list.
--Rose

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:29:07 am »

now that I HAVE an herb garden, I have to say - fresh thyme beats the bought stuff all hollow.  AND it grows like crazy, so I can pick as much as I want! :D

oregano is also good, just be warned - at my mom's house, it took over the yard.  And every time the lawn was mowed we wanted Italian food like crazy!

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:21:58 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;47074
now that I HAVE an herb garden, I have to say - fresh thyme beats the bought stuff all hollow.  AND it grows like crazy, so I can pick as much as I want! :D

oregano is also good, just be warned - at my mom's house, it took over the yard.  And every time the lawn was mowed we wanted Italian food like crazy!

My mom has that same issue with her basil!
She has a plant in her room, and it produces so much we cant possibly use it all!
She says basil leaves are good to eat though, kind of minty - and they help if you have awful bad breath a lot.
--Rose

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:32:45 am »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;47024
I love Rosemary also!

I would probably go with Rosemary as well, but mainly because I don't consider garlic an herb  (isn't the distinction that herbs are the leafy bits and spices are the roots/berries/etc?)  Both are widely used in my kitchen for cooking, as well as in my practice.  

Garlic is my go-to for general healing when I'm feeling under the weather.  I also like it for banishing, and have recently been collecting the papers (that wrap the cloves) and am going to be seeing how I can work with those.

Rosemary has a lot of associations with home and comfort for me.  I love it on potatoes, and some of my families favorite dishes (which in turn have become reminders of home) are rosemary potato dishes.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 05:08:19 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;47109
I would probably go with Rosemary as well, but mainly because I don't consider garlic an herb  (isn't the distinction that herbs are the leafy bits and spices are the roots/berries/etc?)  Both are widely used in my kitchen for cooking, as well as in my practice.  

Garlic is my go-to for general healing when I'm feeling under the weather.  I also like it for banishing, and have recently been collecting the papers (that wrap the cloves) and am going to be seeing how I can work with those.

Rosemary has a lot of associations with home and comfort for me.  I love it on potatoes, and some of my families favorite dishes (which in turn have become reminders of home) are rosemary potato dishes.

for sure rosemary,in mundane cooking and etc.
others are:
sage,oregano,thyme,basil
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:51 am »
Quote from: spoOk;47169
for sure rosemary,in mundane cooking and etc.
others are:
sage,oregano,thyme,basil

How funny! I stated my seeds yesterday, and I have atleast one of everything you mentioned! Two sage though, because im trying to grow enough to be able to burn my own. I want to do a sage and lavender mix. I think it would be an amazing smell.  And so comforting.
--Rose

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »

Parsley!  I suppose it's not a particularly magickal herb, but it's the one I use most often when cooking, and I just adore it.  There's nothing like fresh parsley :)
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

I don't think I could do without French lavender. I use it in baths, in sachets for my drawers, and in my pillow case to help me relax. Once in a while I'll add it to mint tea. It took a few years to establish a patch in my parents' garden, but it's a pleasure to care for (you smell so nice after working with it!).

I also use a lot of mint (for witchy stuff and juleps!) and sage. Once I have my own garden I'm going to try growing sweetgrass!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:29 am »

Basil, definitely.  I usually try to grow at least three varieties over the summer - Genovese (Ocimum basilicum 'Genovese'), Purple Ruffles (Ocimum basilicum 'Purple Ruffles'), and Sweet (Ocimum basilicum).  We harvest it all season and freeze half; the pesto we make from it in the dead of winter tastes like summer.

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis).  I like to make tea with it, and it smells amazing.  One has to keep it contained however; one year, it took over my basil and I ended up with lemon-scented basil.

Shepherd's Purse (Capsella_bursa-pastoris) & yarrow (Achillea millefolium).  I've gotten into the habit of growing these for medicinal purposes, even though I no longer need them.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: