"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: How Have the Gods Said, "Thanks but No Thanks," to You?  (Read 13707 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
How Have the Gods Said, "Thanks but No Thanks," to You?
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:31:42 pm »
I was talking with Bastemhet on one of my more recent blog entries about being "brutally rebuffed" by gods when you approach them. She mentioned that she's never heard an instance in which the netjeru have done this (and neither have I, actually). I've heard, however, that some of the other gods aren't quite as polite about things like this at times. So, with that in mind...

1. Have you ever been rebuffed by a god/spirit/OTHER(tm) before?
2. Was it polite or impolite?
3. Would you care to share the experience? If so, please do!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:32:22 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: How Have the Gods Said, "Thanks but No Thanks," to You?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:35:43 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45486
I was talking with Bastemhet on one of my more recent blog entries about being "brutally rebuffed" by gods when you approach them. She mentioned that she's never heard an instance in which the netjeru have done this (and neither have I, actually). I've heard, however, that some of the other gods aren't quite as polite about things like this at times. So, with that in mind...

I've been totally and completely ignored by deities I was interested in (or thought I was interested in). Some might take this as a brutal rebuff I suppose.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;45491
I've been totally and completely ignored by deities I was interested in (or thought I was interested in). Some might take this as a brutal rebuff I suppose.

I"ve had that happen to me, too. Actually, I think that's happened to more often than not!
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »

I can't say i've been brutally rebuffed by any of the netjeru or any other god / goddess for that matter.  The closet I've probably come is between two of them, specifically Mafdet and Poseidon.  Then I am not even sure that is true for i'll go weeks if not months and not think of them then I am overwhelmed with a sense of them.  Yet as soon as I go looking the quiet becomes deafening in its loudness.

But to actually go forth and try to make any of them notice me was never a factor for I never had any urge to.  I've pretty much always stuck with those few that made themselves known to me and called me.

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »

About 7 years ago I bought a pendant of the God Cernunnos. I invoked him and asked that he watch over and protect my husband. Every time my husband wore that necklace it would fall off.

I started to become suspicious and asked what was going on. The reply I got was a "not now, not yet" sort of thing. It was polite, but stern and I must admit at the time I was confused and a little sensitive about it. However I understand now what was going on and why and am in no way bothered by the response to my request.
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:25 am »

This.

Once upon a time I tried to devote myself to Aine... I was even convinced she had possiby twapped me. And for awhile, She was there when I lit candles for Her- a gentle, warm glow that wrapped around the candle and projected around the room... but even that response faded over time, and my worship to Her didn't really bring any changes in my life. Since that relationship was not going anywhere, I eventually dropped it, taking it as a sign that if She was even interested in me in first place, that interest had faded. But I would call it a polite breakup more than a brutal rejection.

Utter silence was received from other deities, like Aphrodite and Brighid, some of the which I still honor during seasonal cycles celebrations. I didn't take it personally.
Hermes used to silent for years too, right up to when He made first hand contact started to announce His presence loud and clear.
Sometimes it's all about timing, rather than about human-deity compatibility.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:39 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45493
I"ve had that happen to me, too. Actually, I think that's happened to more often than not!

I suspect a lot of people have had this happen to them. It seems like it would be a relatively common response.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:53 am »
Quote from: RandallS;45532
I suspect a lot of people have had this happen to them. It seems like it would be a relatively common response.

Probably. It's a polite way of saying, "Aw. Cute. But, no." :)
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Aynfean

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45533
Probably. It's a polite way of saying, "Aw. Cute. But, no." :)

Interestingly enough this was kind of the topic of my Pagan Blog Project post this week. I'm in a period of wondering about whether this was the case with the Morrigan. While I felt her moving strongly in my life for a period of a few months, after I dedicated myself to her, not so much.

It could be that it's just a quiet period, or I was mistaken. How does one tell the difference?
Journal of a Wandering Witch ~ http://aynfean.wordpress.com

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »
Quote from: Aynfean;45540
It could be that it's just a quiet period, or I was mistaken. How does one tell the difference?

Patience.

Worst advice ever, but all I've got. :whis:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Aynfean

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:12 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45547
Patience.

Worst advice ever, but all I've got. :whis:

Yeah, that's where I wound up at the end of my blog. But then, what it is that I am being patient for? If she shows up again in a big way is that conformation? Or what?
Journal of a Wandering Witch ~ http://aynfean.wordpress.com

Agarista

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:42:16 pm »

That happened to me :eek:

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »
Quote from: Aynfean;45549
Yeah, that's where I wound up at the end of my blog. But then, what it is that I am being patient for? If she shows up again in a big way is that conformation? Or what?

If she shows back up, then you know that she wants something from you. If not, then you know it wasn't meant to be.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:09:49 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:17 pm »

As I've mentioned before, I don't have personal, intimate relationships with gods. On one hand, the rebuffed questions seems impossible because it's not as if the gods would say "no thanks" and just not be the fertility or the storm or anything. They are, and will be, so I can accept them as such.

But even without personal relationships I guess you could be rejected, in a sense. I'm not a "friend of Freyr", because I really have to work at gardening and keeping what does come up alive. Maybe I'd have better luck in this area offering to Kokopelli, but I'm not too keen on finding out right now. This is the culture of gods I've committed to, and that means the ups and downs of it as well.

And, historically, my ancestors would've been stuck with it too. They didn't have any concept of finding new gods or new cultures. The gods were their world good or bad.

Eh. That's my take on it, anyway.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »

I have been rebuffed, in fact it was just this past Imbolc.  I was doing a guided meditation to speak to Brid, the first time it was more like mutual ignoring, not sure what to say to her and I got the impression that she hadn't anything to say to me.  The second time it was when I tried to go back and speak to her again, but every time I got near the cabin I would end up somewhere else.  Being stubborn, I kept trying, actually got my hand on the knob when I was "thrown" somewhere else.  I took that as a sign she didn't want anything to do with me and left. :)

Tags: