collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Lady of the Stars UPG/Stuff  (Read 4072 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Lady of the Stars UPG/Stuff
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »
I know there's a private LotS forum, but they didn't let me in ;) and I want this to be public anyhow.

We had a bunch of brainstorming/SPG/momentun/something on the old board (which started in this thread I believe) and I had a... moment, I guess, today, that had me thinking about her again.

Do any of you still work with her? Are there any historically-known goddesses you identify her with in particular, or do you see her as an entirely separate entity, or option c?

I guess I don't really have a specific direction, I just have her on the brain and would like to hear some conversation again on the topic to see if any lightbulbs get lobbed my way.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Lady of the Stars UPG/Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:46 pm »
Quote from: Juni;45089
Do any of you still work with her?

Not quite the right choice of words (don't worry, I know how language fails us with these things), but yes. She is my Lady and therefore present for me all the time - more or less, depending on my ability to be open.

Are there any historically-known goddesses you identify her with in particular, or do you see her as an entirely separate entity, or option c?

Can't tell you this.
I think She took on a few guises over time.
For me it's option c so far that I call her Dana (enter the not Irish-Danu-disclaimer) and I think She is the ground of being.

Found an interesting thing in Orion Foxwood's Tree of Enchantment.
The Utterer - now the description of that one really rang a bell or a dozen.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
Quote from: Tana;45093
Found an interesting thing in Orion Foxwood's Tree of Enchantment.
The Utterer - now the description of that one really rang a bell or a dozen.

I'm not familiar, but "The Utterer" is certainly evocative- it makes me think of She Who Uttered the Universe into Existence or somesuch.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »

This thread prompted me to reread the threads that started all of this. This post in particular, struck me. Specifically, this bit here-

Quote from: Aster Breo
It's basically a traditional 4-armed Brighid's cross shape, but the arms are flames.  Behind it, there's a sort of swirly background, like a many-armed galaxy, with dots and little star-like figures interspersed.  But the flame cross is the really important element.  I'm not sure about the center, where the woven part is in a real B's cross.  It seems to be kinda like the spark that created the explosion, if that makes any sense.

You know what goes there? You. Me. We are the key that starts the explosion, by our actions. By our Will. By our desire to change the monotony into something greater.

I think that's why I like the triple Brighid cross. Because it has the space in the center that is vital to the design, but not *technically* part of the design. That's where I go. That's where the key goes. And then it unlocks.
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:07:12 am »
Quote from: Juni;45096
I'm not familiar, but "The Utterer" is certainly evocative- it makes me think of She Who Uttered the Universe into Existence or somesuch.

That's exactly what She does. :)
Will find the book and the passage later and let you know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:07:52 am by Tana »
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;45118

You know what goes there? You. Me. We are the key that starts the explosion, by our actions. By our Will. By our desire to change the monotony into something greater.

I think that's why I like the triple Brighid cross. Because it has the space in the center that is vital to the design, but not *technically* part of the design. That's where I go. That's where the key goes. And then it unlocks.

It's interesting that you should bring that image up again now.  I was just looking at it (the one you drew for me) yesterday evening -- probably about the same time you were posting about it, actually.

That image, of the flaming Brighid's cross with the spark of the universe at its center has stayed with me.  I see it when I close my eyes almost every night.  Like I said back then, it feels REALLY important.

I think you have something, too, about us being the spark at the center.  Maybe She's telling us we each create our own universes.  Maybe we each create our own Lady.  

Since Imbolc, I've been using a daily set of prayers developed as part of the path I'm working on, and I really like having those every day.  It has already gotten to feeling familiar and kinda like I'm walking a path that has been walked by many, many others, even though it's a little overgrown at the moment.

But, in addition to that set of daily prayers, a few days ago, as I was about to blow my lamp out for the night and had just said the "flame extinguishing" prayer and was staring at the flame, I found myself saying "Your light to me; my life to You."  Like, somehow, we're creating each other.  We're sparking each other.  

All I can see when I close my eyes is that image.

~ Aster

P.S.  Why, yes, Juni, I do still work with the Lady of the Stars.  And, for me, She is still Brighid.  ;)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;45215

P.S.  Why, yes, Juni, I do still work with the Lady of the Stars.  And, for me, She is still Brighid.  ;)

Same for me here, on both counts. :)

The Lady of the Stars SIG has basically been dormant since the great Cauldron migration, so you're really not missing out on anything. (We do have the public LotS social group though, don't forget! ;))

On my own, I'm still cultivating my relationship with Brighid as the Lady of Star Fire, and also doing more exploration of how her role in my life compliments the role of Manannan. The focus on the celestial/stellar aspect has ceased to be such an overwhelming one for me, though, and become just another aspect of her nature, another of her many faces.

One thing that's been a big part of that is actually her role in offering guidance and inspiration regarding vocation. For me, this connects strongly with her "smithcraft" aspect - even more so than her role as a patron of poetry, weirdly enough, even though my career is largely focused on writing. She is a creatrix, but most definitely one very much involved with human culture and civilization. For me, the role of the smith kind of spans that liminal space between the really deep, primordial work with the basic "stuff" of the universe (fire, water, metal, sweat, force, steam, spark, etc.) and the cultural artifacts that come out of that work - the tempered edge of the sword, the delicate beauty of decorative knotwork, even the very practical but necessary tools of culture like the plow and the horseshoe. Finding that balance between the churning, primordial creative powers and the refined, culturally-useful products of creative work has been a challenge that she's been helping me with a lot recently.

So that's what I've been up to. :) It's funny that the first time in weeks that I've been able to get on to TC, and there just happens to be a conversation about her going on. Awesome!

--Ali

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:20 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;45215

Heh. What she said. I have this thread bookmarked for a later, longer response, but this is my token answer for now. :)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:26 am »
I know there's a private LotS forum, but they didn't let me in ;) and I want this to be public anyhow.

We had a bunch of brainstorming/SPG/momentun/something on the old board (which started in this thread I believe) and I had a... moment, I guess, today, that had me thinking about her again.

Do any of you still work with her? Are there any historically-known goddesses you identify her with in particular, or do you see her as an entirely separate entity, or option c?

I guess I don't really have a specific direction, I just have her on the brain and would like to hear some conversation again on the topic to see if any lightbulbs get lobbed my way.

I see many are saying Brigid and/or Nut for the Lady of the Stars, but what about Nyx? Since she is the Greek Goddess of Night, I would think the stars could also be attributed to her, no?

I'm all of a sudden very interested in Nyx.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;45926
I see many are saying Brigid and/or Nut for the Lady of the Stars, but what about Nyx? Since she is the Greek Goddess of Night, I would think the stars could also be attributed to her, no?

Mmm, not necessarily. As I understand it, Nyx is primordial darkness. The stuff in between the stars. Which has its place, as we've discussed, with the Lady of the Stars, but darkness is only one part of the picture.

(Full disclosure here: I'm one of the ones who firmly believes Brighid is the Lady of the Stars we encountered. There might be others, like Nyx or Nut, who have a lot to do with stars, the mystery of the night, and who may have titles of Lady of the Stars, etc., but don't encompass the full... erm... scale of whom I mean when I say 'the Lady of the Stars'.)

YMMV. :)

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:28:45 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;45926

I'm all of a sudden very interested in Nyx.

I believe it would be Asteria who is associated with the stars in Hellenic patheon.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;45955
I believe it would be Asteria who is associated with the stars in Hellenic patheon.

I've seen Aphrodite called 'The Starry Goddess' and carry the title 'Aphrodite Asteria' as well. I don't know a whole lot about these titles yet, though.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:07:20 am »
Quote from: Finn;45950
Mmm, not necessarily. As I understand it, Nyx is primordial darkness. The stuff in between the stars. Which has its place, as we've discussed, with the Lady of the Stars, but darkness is only one part of the picture.

Though there are some lovely lines of poetry that make Nyx more starry:

"The many-eyed embroidery of blue-black Nyx (Night)"

"On a clear night, when Nyx (Night) in the heavens shows to men all her stars in their brightness and no star is borne faintly gleaming at the mid-month moon."

"Silent Nyx (Night) shrouded the west in her own colour, and scored the sky across with her own starry cloak."

I really like that first line. A lot. :)

All the same, it feels like Nyx could be more like... a Lady With Stars :p. Like, they aren't the essence of her being like my understanding of the Lady of the Stars.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:41:49 am »
Quote from: Finn;46001
Though there are some lovely lines of poetry that make Nyx more starry:

"The many-eyed embroidery of blue-black Nyx (Night)"

"On a clear night, when Nyx (Night) in the heavens shows to men all her stars in their brightness and no star is borne faintly gleaming at the mid-month moon."

"Silent Nyx (Night) shrouded the west in her own colour, and scored the sky across with her own starry cloak."

I really like that first line. A lot. :)

All the same, it feels like Nyx could be more like... a Lady With Stars :p. Like, they aren't the essence of her being like my understanding of the Lady of the Stars.

Wow, those are really great poetic lines. Thanks! Stuff to think about, for sure.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »

I'm not part of the private group, but I am on the public group here... I'm devoted to Brigit, but I don't know that I necessarily see her as one aspect over another. And honestly, right now I'm (still) going through a huge overhaul of my work that's led me to looking at doing more personal work and less group work, and more towards the Druidic/Celtic than my Wicca at the moment, though I'm not abandoning Wicca.

I don't guess that was much of an answer... except I feel drawn to exploring this Lady of the Stars stuff, so maybe that's the answer...

Karen

Tags: