+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Crisis of faith

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

Re: Crisis of faith

Quote Originally Posted by SkySamuelle View Post
    I feel like the best thing I can do to contribute to this discussion is pointing to you this blog post:
    http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/2012/...w-for-a-while/
    Thanks, Sky! I didn't even realize someone had linked to that post before I did.
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw393 View Post
    Religion won't cure anything.
    I'd like to say that this sticks with me. I find the statement interesting, but it's what I want to address, specifically.

It isn't that religion will fix the problem you have going on here. There isn't a quick-fix cure for depression. A lot of people on this board suffer from it in some way or another. (I did notice that Shadow mentioned that depression tends to block and I've found that as true, as well.) We've all had moments where we're just so depressed that getting up out of bed isn't worth it. We've all had moments where we've decided that practicing our faith wasn't really what was necessary or even worth it at the moment because we were feeling so badly at the time.

The help in fixing your depression, I've found, tends to be just simply having faith. When you're depressed, having faith is so fucking difficult that you pretty much just want to punch people who have it in the face. (I know. I have, too.) You're sitting there and reading or watching these people who believe in something so strongly and you're just kind of like, "Why in the hell can't I have that? They must be faking it. They must be lying." When you get over this hump, though, it comes back.

It's a slow, long, hard, difficult, painful process.

Shit. I'm rambling here. Let me put it you this way.

I have a friend who is diagnosed bipolar. She's on this board, actually, or was until recently. Anyway, before we knew what was wrong with her we had to deal with all of the bipolar ups and downs that are just part and parcel to the disorder. It really sucks. There were points where I had to take away her debit card to keep her from going on a mania-fueled shopping spree that she couldn't afford. There were times when she was so low because of the depression of her disorder that she tried to kill herself. Even with these issues, the fact that she had faith and that she believed in something kept her on an even keel prior to her diagnosis. Yes, we had some big ups and downs: drinking heavily for self-medication, the trying to kill herself, the shopping, etc. These were issues to be contended with as they came, but what helped her was the knowledge that when she came out of the depression or mania stage was that her gods would be there for her.

True story.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that when you're in the middle of it... no, it really feels like there is nothing that will fix it. However, just having the knowledge (even in the back of your head) that there will be gods to hold your hand when you're out of it... sometimes that's all you need.
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    outlaw393 can only hope to improve outlaw393's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Dec 2013 @ 08:40 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Christian-Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by SatSekhem View Post
    I'd like to say that this sticks with me. I find the statement interesting, but it's what I want to address, specifically.

It isn't that religion will fix the problem you have going on here. There isn't a quick-fix cure for depression. A lot of people on this board suffer from it in some way or another. (I did notice that Shadow mentioned that depression tends to block and I've found that as true, as well.) We've all had moments where we're just so depressed that getting up out of bed isn't worth it. We've all had moments where we've decided that practicing our faith wasn't really what was necessary or even worth it at the moment because we were feeling so badly at the time.

The help in fixing your depression, I've found, tends to be just simply having faith. When you're depressed, having faith is so fucking difficult that you pretty much just want to punch people who have it in the face. (I know. I have, too.) You're sitting there and reading or watching these people who believe in something so strongly and you're just kind of like, "Why in the hell can't I have that? They must be faking it. They must be lying." When you get over this hump, though, it comes back.

It's a slow, long, hard, difficult, painful process.

Shit. I'm rambling here. Let me put it you this way.

I have a friend who is diagnosed bipolar. She's on this board, actually, or was until recently. Anyway, before we knew what was wrong with her we had to deal with all of the bipolar ups and downs that are just part and parcel to the disorder. It really sucks. There were points where I had to take away her debit card to keep her from going on a mania-fueled shopping spree that she couldn't afford. There were times when she was so low because of the depression of her disorder that she tried to kill herself. Even with these issues, the fact that she had faith and that she believed in something kept her on an even keel prior to her diagnosis. Yes, we had some big ups and downs: drinking heavily for self-medication, the trying to kill herself, the shopping, etc. These were issues to be contended with as they came, but what helped her was the knowledge that when she came out of the depression or mania stage was that her gods would be there for her.

True story.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that when you're in the middle of it... no, it really feels like there is nothing that will fix it. However, just having the knowledge (even in the back of your head) that there will be gods to hold your hand when you're out of it... sometimes that's all you need.
    Thanks for your replies and the link. I'll take a look at it.
    Conformity is the death of individualism

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Christian-Pagan

Thanks for your replies and the link. I'll take a look at it.
    I read the blog page. I liked it. I know this thing is temporary, but it's always unknown how long it'll last. I've been through these things at least a few times.

Right now I'm feeling like maybe it's best for me to walk away from religion - and the gods - completely. Of course right now is the worst time to lose my faith, and my religion, again. But I'm sure it'll come back to me, in one form or another. It always does. I feel like they've forsaken me. To be clear, this didn't start with Odin, it started with The Goddess.

So I'm thinking I'm going to try something before I walk away, because walking away is my last resort. By contacting only one god and one goddess, I had severely limited my options. I have many more options than just that one god and goddess. I am optimistic that if one let me down and the other doesn't seem to care, that the others might and I might have more luck with them.

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    SkySamuelle will become famous soon enough SkySamuelle's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Aug 2013 @ 07:27 AM
    Country
    Italy
    Religion
    Hard Polyteist, Shamanic Witch, Mystic

I read the blog page. I liked it. I know this thing is temporary, but it's always unknown how long it'll last. I've been through these things at least a few times.

Right now I'm feeling like maybe it's best for me to walk away from religion - and the gods - completely. Of course right now is the worst time to lose my faith, and my religion, again. But I'm sure it'll come back to me, in one form or another. It always does. I feel like they've forsaken me. To be clear, this didn't start with Odin, it started with The Goddess.

So I'm thinking I'm going to try something before I walk away, because walking away is my last resort. By contacting only one god and one goddess, I had severely limited my options. I have many more options than just that one god and goddess. I am optimistic that if one let me down and the other doesn't seem to care, that the others might and I might have more luck with them.

From personal experience: when we are having 'issues' it's entirely possible that we feel so deep into them that our ability to 'hear' gods is muddled. I had stretches of time in past where Hekate was very quiet after being suddenly very 'present' or when I could not focus properly on the practice and I got scared that I was going tolose the connection.

Both cases, my fears were unfouded. And now I accepted that She is going always be there, it's easier for me to see the signs She sends even when I am wrapped in my drama.

But this is something that comes from experience.

It's possible that, right now, your Odin is stepping back because you need something different that He can offer - maybe that sense of 'silent presence' you got is His way to say 'you have my attention, but it's not our time yet- go, learn, I'll be still here when you come back'.

Maybe more that walking away from your religion and gods, you need expanding your path to include others.

Analyze what you want and need right now that you are not getting from your practice - maybe experimenting with something new can be the breath of fresh air you need.

Just my two cents, of course.
    “Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
    Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
    Icon by jewelotus

Banned Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    monsnoleedra is on a distinguished road monsnoleedra's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Sep 2012 @ 04:10 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shamanic & Green/hedge Witchcraft

.. It's possible that, right now, your Odin is stepping back because you need something different that He can offer - maybe that sense of 'silent presence' you got is His way to say 'you have my attention, but it's not our time yet- go, learn, I'll be still here when you come back'..
    Not directed at SkySamuelle but linked off her post as inspiration.

One thing that stands out to me here is the story of Odin and his sacrificng an eye as well as hanging upon Ysadasadril (sp) to gain wisdom and knowledge. Sorry don't recall the specific Edda that speaks of it but I do recall he hung there for some time.

I can't help but wonder if your sense of loss is your hanging upon Ysadasadril (sp) and determining to what extent you shall go to obtain knowledge and wisdom. In some ways even reminescent of the Berserkers of Odin and the altering of mind and realility they submitted themselves to in thier battle lust. The battle here being one of the mind and self granted, but still a battle none the less.

I would say your given strength to beat your battle at birth but Odin is not going to hold your hand to do so. One does not make it into Vahalla getting their hand held and guided but through rising to the challenege and being selected upon the field of battle by the Valkrie.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    thorsvin is on a distinguished road thorsvin's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Feb 2014 @ 10:26 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Thor, Brighid, Njord

Quote Originally Posted by HeartShadow View Post
    From personal experience - depression blocks gods. I don't know why or how or any of the details. I just know that depression blocks them somehow, or blocks us FROM them. It's one of the cruelest jokes OF depression - when you need faith most, it makes it hardest.
    That's strange that you find that, because for me it is the opposite. When I'm depressed I can feel that Thor is rather near, trying to cheer me up. Not that the Gods are usually explicitly present with me though, I seem to have a case of reverse-god-botheredness.
    Last edited by thorsvin; 5 Mar 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added several words

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Christian-Pagan

It's possible that, right now, your Odin is stepping back because you need something different that He can offer - maybe that sense of 'silent presence' you got is His way to say 'you have my attention, but it's not our time yet- go, learn, I'll be still here when you come back'.

Maybe more that walking away from your religion and gods, you need expanding your path to include others.

Analyze what you want and need right now that you are not getting from your practice - maybe experimenting with something new can be the breath of fresh air you need.

Just my two cents, of course.
    I could be wrong about him being my patron, too. It's not the first time I was wrong about a god being my patron. Of course, if I'm wrong about Odin, that means I don't have a patron. I've been walking the Pagan path one way or another for six years, and I always thought that every Pagan had a patron god. Maybe I was wrong.

So now I'm going to step back and take a look at the other gods I follow too. I've thought about looking at their entire respective pantheons, but honestly I don't follow the rest of their respective pantheons.

Then the question becomes "What if your patron is actually one of those gods you don't follow?" How would I know? There's no way for me to know because none of those other gods has ever contacted me in any way, shape, or form. Hence why I don't deal with them.

And I spent years researching many other pantheons and I really don't want to do that again. My seeking stage is over.

But anyway, that's a possibility too.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class1 year registered
    SunflowerP is a glorious beacon of light SunflowerP is a glorious beacon of light SunflowerP is a glorious beacon of light SunflowerP is a glorious beacon of light SunflowerP is a glorious beacon of light SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

I've been walking the Pagan path one way or another for six years, and I always thought that every Pagan had a patron god. Maybe I was wrong.
    Yes, you were wrong.

Many of the pagan religions don't require that one have a patron, and for some pagan paths, the concept is pretty much meaningless to that path.

Many of those who do have patrons chose their patron(s), rather than being chosen - often this is because the deity's spheres of interest included something the practitioner does: hir profession, f'ex. They may never experience direct interaction; for many, the main way they know they haven't made a mistake in their choice is that the deity doesn't reject their attentions.

Very very few people get an actual thwap, where the deity chooses them. There are quite a few of us here on TC, but that's unusual - and even then, I'm pretty sure there are more people here who haven't had that experience. Even of those who have, many have direct interaction with their patrons only very occasionally.

Sunflower
    Last edited by SunflowerP; 5 Mar 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding a thought
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album pictures1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

My seeking stage is over.
    If you really assume this, I think I might found the roots of your problems.
    'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
    That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
    You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
    All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.'
    Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

Confuzzled and proud.

Read the shocking confessions of a confuzzled witch!
    The Witchy Diary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast