collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: A long, detailed string of coincidences.  (Read 2654 times)

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
A long, detailed string of coincidences.
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:20:15 am »
I read in mythology that the Morrigan (my patron goddess) is famous for engineering events piece by piece to suit her demands, and it can be hard to tell what she has or hasn't done or what she even wants you to do unless 1) you have a sharp eye for detail, or 2) everything's finally crashed down and left you a devastated wreck.

I have a feeling that those myriad little details are the main way she "speaks" to me, since neither of us are given towards prayer or rituals. I have a very complicated history of self-esteem/insecurity issues; consequently, the Morrigan has a habit of setting a LOT of choices in front of me to see if I have the nerve to actually choose instead of fretting for weeks like I used to.

Here's a string of the events that led me to my current point in life:

-
Catalyst: Last semester in college, I met a childhood friend in theater class after years of nearly forgetting about each other. We (re)bonded almost instantly after recognizing each other, and it turns out that he and I both wanted to break into musicals. We chose to perform Spring Awakening, an award-winning musical, for our acting final.

Coincidence #1: While hunting for a site that didn't require me to buy a dozen copies of the script for a full production, I found Stageplays.com. I also found that the site had somehow linked the Annie soundtrack titles with Spring Awakening’s actual soundtrack--meaning that when I clicked on "Tomorrow" expecting Annie to sing about her optimism, I instead heard a bunch of guys singing about their hot piano teacher. So I sent an email to the site owners and got a very grateful email back after they fixed it, then laughed it off with CF in class. “If I hadn’t been looking at Annie and recognized Spring Awakening's music RIGHT THEN, they could have gotten sued by angry parents by now!” And then I realized how suspiciously convenient that was.

Of course, I put it down to my standard "I'm just worrying needlessly about random coincidences again" mentality. Until...

Coincidence #2: Long after we both ace our theater final (during which I downloaded Spring Awakening's entire soundtrack, considered Ilse my dream role, and lamented the fact that SA closed after only three years on Broadway), I have a dream where I'm rehearsing with my theater group. Suddenly, someone runs in and goes, "OH MY GOD, I JUST GOT A CALL THAT [gibberish] TRIED TO SHOOT HIMSELF!" We all went crazy and I was extremely glad to wake up, not least because I've had problems with depression myself for the past few years.

So I'm going crazy in waking life, wondering which of my male friends is going to try and off themselves (while not talking about it, because how the hell would I ask that kind of question?), but then I calm down and look up the meaning on dreammoods.com. Apparently, someone trying to commit suicide in a dream means that I'm soon to be in a dithering panic about them--which is unpleasant, but not quite as severe as suicide. One week later, Childhood Friend tells us that his mother is giving him the ultimatum of paying 500$ a month starting February, or else he'll get kicked out.

That sends me into a dithering panic/rage about how goddamn unfair his mother is, and I start praying to the Morrigan for any kind of help, or at least that he can move out on his own terms as opposed to his mother's. Eventually CF tells us that he's going to move to one of his friends' places in San Jose (he's leaving in April), so I resign myself to staying Facebook friends and make the most of the two-ish months we have left.

Coincidence #3: I find out on Glee's Facebook page that there's a Spring Awakening movie in the works, at which I scream and search Google for information, hoping to audition for Ilse's role and be internationally renowned. It turned out the movie is being made in Germany (where the musical is set), so I spend a couple of days bemoaning the fact that I don't live in Germany.

The next day, when I start to google "Spring Awakening" again, the auto-finish says "Spring Awakening auditions california bay area." Or something like that--I don't quite remember because I clicked it so fast. Which leads to the discovery that my hometown is holding auditions for Spring Awakening ONE WEEK AFTER MY OSTARA BIRTHDAY. I email the company for an appointment and more information, then announce on Facebook that "I WILL BE ILSE FUCKING NEUMANN IF I HAVE TO CUT A BITCH."

Coincidence #4: My former employer offers me my job back since she needs workers, which takes care of the money issue. Shortly after that, I get an email back from the theater company informing me of the audition requirements: A resume, a headshot, and sheet music for two songs.

Not Coincidences: I ask my theater professor if he knows any photographers, and am given his photographer's name and the general price of sessions (500$). He also offers to help look over my resume. I then ask my choir professor where to get sheet music, and am recommended a couple of reputable websites.

Coincidences #5 and 6: 5) Not one, but TWO of my new theater classmates are professional photographers, and one of them informs me that paying 500$ for headshots is too much even with a great photographer because all you need is basic makeup, nice clothes, and a plain backdrop. He's still deciding on his rates, but I figure it's going to be at least half of the first photographer's price. 6) The other classmate just joined the class a couple of weeks ago.

Coincidence #7: The previous three coincidences happened barely a week after I posted "I will be Ilse fucking Neumann if I have to cut a bitch."

Coincidence #8: My birthday is Ostara, the first day of spring, and I'm auditioning for SPRING Awakening. Spring is the time of beginnings, new life, all that jazz. And I'm not going into details, but I have a LOT in common with Ilse's character and backstory; in a sense, that literally makes me Ilse already.

-
Of course I'm not going to waltz into my audition next month and demand the director to reserve Ilse's role for me (I'm ordering my sheet music tomorrow and figuring out when I can get my headshot taken), but the Morrigan certainly seems to be on my side for this. But I keep feeling that she's on my side as long as I follow through with my claim that I'll do whatever it takes to get this role. I mean, I'm not literally going to bring a knife and attack the other girls, but it feels like the Morrigan is saying, "You said you'd do anything for this role, but will you really do anything? Here's the job you found incomparably boring and tedious."

Being a bard, I've read a LOT of stories where the Morrigan offers someone glory/power/whatever on certain conditions, but they either refuse or can't meet the condition due to their personal flaws or really bad luck. At risk of sounding pretentious, I feel like whatever happens is what happens when someone actually goes along with the Morrigan.

I keep daydreaming about what could happen after I land Ilse's role, but I've noticed that it never feels WRONG when I do. Not the ones where I help out my castmates and the director is impressed; not the ones where I cringe through really embarrassing directions and everyone's amazed that I did them in the first place; not even the fantastically overblown ones where Moritz's actor turns out to be my dream guy and we become a power couple, or where my later auditioners go, "Oh, you went to a world-renowned acting school and your first professional gig was Spring Awakening? And you're still in your twenties?! Here is your script, good madam! We are overjoyed to have you in our cast!"

Whenever I remind myself how absurdly rose-tinted my fantasies are, the Morrigan keeps asking, "Why CAN'T this happen?" I answer, "Because this is reality and the odds of finding my dream guy among five guys is REALLY low." She keeps turning my answers into more questions ("Why is reality never as good as your fantasies?" "Because I'm not the kind of girl people go for." "Who says you aren't?" "...Me." "Why do you think that?" etc.), and it all keeps looping back to "Why can't this happen?"

I know that good things don't happen because I don't let them, usually through inaction or self-sabotage. I'm willing to trust her on whatever goes down and she's fine with that, but she knows I'm still bracing myself for some sort of disaster and she keeps saying, "You'll believe me when everything you want happens."

This is starting to feel like a fairy-tale, and it kind of scares me.

Has anyone else encountered this level of influence, from the Morrigan or otherwise?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:21:55 am by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: A long, detailed string of coincidences.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:38:05 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;44121
I read in mythology that the Morrigan (my patron goddess) is famous for engineering events piece by piece to suit her demands, and it can be hard to tell what she has or hasn't done or what she even wants you to do unless 1) you have a sharp eye for detail, or 2) everything's finally crashed down and left you a devastated wreck.

[....]

Has anyone else encountered this level of influence, from the Morrigan or otherwise?

I had remarkedly similiar experiences with my Lady, Hekate - except it took me months of being stalked every single day by movies/articles/other minor stuff with the same identical message before I finally accepted that, for some reason, She was really invested in pushing me toward professional writing (which is something i always loved doing, but never had the bravery or selfassurance to pursue consistently).

I still am not sure of why as writing is not really one of Her chief 'work concerns' but Her response to my questioning was pretty much the same you got from your Morrigan : 'you will understand when you get there'.

I don't really believe She are going to drive me to a life of fame and riches or anything, but probably it's the pursuing in itself that will get me somewhere important with my relationship with myself.

In past,  She even hinted in the same way  that there were good reasons if at a certain time of my life i had to be single and that it was going to end when i was past certain obstacles... experience proved Her nudges right, when those certain obstacles got removed and revealed said reasons i didn't quite understand in past.

So... consistent divine interference can definitely happen, even it is not the rule.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:12:06 am by RandallS »
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:42:36 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;44124
I had remarkedly similiar experiences with my Lady, Hekate - except it took me months of being stalked every single day by movies/articles/other minor stuff with the same identical message before I finally accepted that, for some reason, She was really invested in pushing me toward professional writing (which is something i always loved doing, but never had the bravery or self-assurance to pursue consistently).

I still am not sure of why as writing is not really one of Her chief 'work concerns' but Her response to my questioning was pretty much the same you got from your Morrigan : 'you will understand when you get there'.

Well, the Morrigan is infamous for her connection with war and death, but she's also connected with fertility--my experiences with her have taken on a very notable "death/regrowth" pattern. There's also a lot of evidence that she's EXTREMELY intelligent.

I learned from my theater prof that nearly all of the arts are potent ways to start society-wide change, and that artists are most feared due to that quality--ie, the defeated side in a war would frequently have its artists regulated/driven underground/killed, or "just" forced to make propaganda for the winning side, but they'd find many, many ways around it. I finally realized that this is why the Morrigan would bother patronizing a bard/performer and she went, "Exactly."

I find no reason for the gods to be boxed too tightly into categories--they're immortal and extremely powerful. I can't comprehend any tailoring past basic repairs, but I can still appreciate my sister's ability to make clothes from scratch, and I lend her money if she really, really wants a certain tool/fabric but can't buy it on her own. Do I care specifically about it or understand why she needs something? Frequently not, but it would be kind of bitchy to just leave her hanging like that.

There are lots of times where the gods step out of their "normal" fields to help out their followers, especially if they're someone's patron. Sure, you're Hecate's devotee and you probably shouldn't sing someone else's praises too highly--but at the same time, she's your patron and she's responsible for helping you out to the best of her abilities. It would be a bitch move for Hecate to pass something on to another deity just because "it's not her problem."

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:30:23 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;44166

It would be a bitch move for Hecate to pass something on to another deity just because "it's not her problem."

Not necessarily. Some things are just out of the sphere of influence, and  interest of a given deity. For example, I worked with the Morrigan for years and years until I reached a certain turning point in my life when she directed me toward Juno who was better equipped to guide me through the challenges I was facing at the time. Those particular challenges weren't of interest to Her, so She pointed me toward someone who could help me grow.

The Morrigan was absent from my life for quite some time until I'd settled in and was ready to do the work that She required of me again.

I'd hardly call that a "bitch move". I'd call that helping me grow and adapt to my changing circumstances.

It's like someone coming to me and asking me to teach them about knitting. I know nothing about it, and mostly, couldn't care less about knitting. But, I know that HeartShadow* (hope I spelled that right) is really into knitting. So I'd send them to her, because she can actually help them learn something.

* HeartShadow, resident knitting demon and long time, much loved, TC member.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;44166
.. There are lots of times where the gods step out of their "normal" fields to help out their followers, especially if they're someone's patron. Sure, you're Hecate's devotee and you probably shouldn't sing someone else's praises too highly--but at the same time, she's your patron and she's responsible for helping you out to the best of her abilities. It would be a bitch move for Hecate to pass something on to another deity just because "it's not her problem."

I would strongly disagree with that assesment.  Hekate / Hecate has been connected to me for a long time yet when something happened it was Hekate / Hecate that directed me to Athena for the duration of that situation.

It's like a friend had a connection to Kali and was getting frustrated and blocked by his own desires.  Hekate / Hecate appears to me one night and says Kali has my permission to speak through you but never forget you are mine basically.  So for many months I acted as the hollow bone or talking stick between Kali and my friend.  Once in a while i'd feel Hekate / Hecate there to look in but Kali was the one doing the speaking until that situation was resolved.

As a Patron her best help does not mean she has to do something outside of her realm of influence but guide you to the place that best suits her needs with her devotee.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;44190
As a Patron her best help does not mean she has to do something outside of her realm of influence but guide you to the place that best suits her needs with her devotee.

...And you just said what I was trying to in a much clearer manner. This is what comes of being a solitary and not having other people to not-understand my point. *fights urge to edit previous post*

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;44194
...And you just said what I was trying to in a much clearer manner. This is what comes of being a solitary and not having other people to not-understand my point. *fights urge to edit previous post*

Not a warning, but a mod note -

And this is why we do NOT let people edit their posts after a certain amount of time.  If someone reads your corrected version, then the replies to it, it doesn't make sense anymore.  The conversation doesn't work.

So when you get that urge - don't edit, because it's a bannable offense.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;44196
Not a warning, but a mod note -

And this is why we do NOT let people edit their posts after a certain amount of time.  If someone reads your corrected version, then the replies to it, it doesn't make sense anymore.  The conversation doesn't work.

So when you get that urge - don't edit, because it's a bannable offense.

Oh man, thanks for telling me.

Aside from the current urge to edit my previous post, I have mild-ish OCD. Needing a reason for my edits has actually helped curtailed that "edit this just in case" feeling.

And now I have to press Preview at least twice, or it doesn't feel right. :o

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;44121

I know that good things don't happen because I don't let them, usually through inaction or self-sabotage. I'm willing to trust her on whatever goes down and she's fine with that, but she knows I'm still bracing myself for some sort of disaster and she keeps saying, "You'll believe me when everything you want happens."

This is starting to feel like a fairy-tale, and it kind of scares me.

I've felt like this with Morrigan several times.  It's scary to think things can actually go right 'for once'.  I've learned to be cautiously optimistic and do what I can to make things happen when things fall into my lap.  I put a bit aside when I can to help for the not so great times as well.  I've learned to trust my instincts as well as her guidance.  Recently I've had another deity come and help me out as well-not to replace Morrigan, but to add a bit more depth to what she's been trying to teach me.  I'm still deeply connected with Morrigan, but the different perspective/angle has been helping to bring things into a better balance.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;44719

So, in spite of all the stuff going right to get ready for my audition, I tanked it due to an extremely long, unexplained wait that pretty much shot my nerves to bits.

However, when I was crying about it and my mother assured me that "It just isn't your time right now--just let it go," I suddenly realized that she's been saying that kind of thing (let it go, focus on school first, do something more practical) ever since I started my interest in theater.

And I thought, "Well, fuck this--I'll make it my time."

The Morrigan seems to like this thought, and whenever people say "let it go" or the like, I seem to get more determined to prove them wrong.

I also found out that they SKIPPED THE CALLBACKS without even emailing anyone about it. If I hadn't gone to the theater's website in a depressed haze, I wouldn't have seen the notice telling people "Hey, there were SOOOOOO MANY AUDITIONERS that we decided not to do callbacks after all!"

It just feels wrong that they would do that--not only to me, but to everyone else who was waiting for a callback email. The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is going to backfire on them due to something (a bad personality, lack of skill, or just lack of chemistry) they didn't see, since they cast everyone on the basis of appearance and one fucking MINUTE of singing. (Thirty seconds, in my case.)

The Morrigan is assuring me that once their unprofessional/unethical behavior starts showing consequences, they'll send another round of auditions--or even readings--and they'll see that I suck at auditioning because I've been taught to act instead.

Tags: