collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Good books/websites for learning about Shintoism, Kemeticism (I think)?  (Read 5592 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
I'm looking into specific religions now. I believe Kemeticism is based on Ancient Egyptian mythology, but I'm not sure. Also, I need to know the names and basic premises of other religions? Kinda in the dark with this stuff. Please and thank you
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Good books/websites for learning about Shintoism, Kemeticism (I think)?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:18:16 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;42169
I'm looking into specific religions now. I believe Kemeticism is based on Ancient Egyptian mythology, but I'm not sure. Also, I need to know the names and basic premises of other religions? Kinda in the dark with this stuff. Please and thank you

Something that might interest you

Shugendō (also spelled Shugendo) can be loosely translated as "path of training to achieve spiritual powers." Shugendō is an important Kami-Buddha combinatory sect that blends pre-Buddhist mountain worship, Kannabi Shinkō 神奈備信仰 (the idea that mountains are the home of the dead and of agricultural spirits), shamanistic beliefs, animism, ascetic practices, Chinese Yin-Yang mysticism and Taoist magic, and the rituals and spells of Esoteric (Tantric) Buddhism in the hope of achieving magical skills, medical powers, and long life. Practitioners are called Shugenja 修験者 or Shugyōsha 修行者 or Keza 験者 (those who have accumulated power) and Yamabushi 山伏 (those who lie down in the mountain). These various terms are typically translated into English as ascetic monk or mountain priest.

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shugendou.html

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:00:36 am »
I'm looking into specific religions now. I believe Kemeticism is based on Ancient Egyptian mythology, but I'm not sure.

Yes, you are correct.  I highly recommend both Temple of Cosmos by Jeremy Naydler and Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy.  Kerry Wisner is also another good author to check out.

Edit: there are A LOT of crap books out there on the subject though (I'd probably say most of the books I've seen on the topic), so I'd start with those two books, believe me they will give you more than enough info.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:02:22 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
I'm looking into specific religions now.

Here is some basic info in Shinto (in English): Encyclopedia of Shinto
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »

We have the Kemetic SIG at in these forums.  There are tons of information there.  

For books, you could check out Temple of the Cosmos by Jeremy Naydler, The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara Siuda and Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy.  

I'd also recommend you read Darkhawk's Kemetic FAQ: http://www.ecauldron.net/reconegyptfaq.php

As for Shinto, I'd recommend this website: http://www.tsubakishrine.org/
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »

Kemeticism relates to the religion of ancient Egypt, yes.

Shinto is a religion from Japan.

I have two pages that list a bunch of books and resources for both:
Kemeticism: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/kemeticism/
Shintoism: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/shintoism/

For Kemeticism, I always recommend people start off with Jeremy Naydler's "Temple of the COsmos". It's a good primer for understanding AE world view. Of course, reading through the SIG here is also helpful.

For Shintoism, the best source is hands-down Tsubaki Grand Shrine. They have a website and Facebook page. Rev. Barrish is very helpful for answering questions. If you're wanting a good first book for Shinto, look into "Kami no Michi". You can read it for free on Tsubaki's website.

As for other religions, I can't say. Take a walk around google and see what you can dig up :P If you have questions about Kemeticism and Shintoism, I can do my best to help answer them, or point you to someone who  knows an answer.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:11:34 pm »
Quote from: Devo;42312
Kemeticism relates to the religion of ancient Egypt, yes.

Shinto is a religion from Japan.

I have two pages that list a bunch of books and resources for both:
Kemeticism: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/kemeticism/
Shintoism: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/shintoism/

For Kemeticism, I always recommend people start off with Jeremy Naydler's "Temple of the COsmos". It's a good primer for understanding AE world view. Of course, reading through the SIG here is also helpful.

For Shintoism, the best source is hands-down Tsubaki Grand Shrine. They have a website and Facebook page. Rev. Barrish is very helpful for answering questions. If you're wanting a good first book for Shinto, look into "Kami no Michi". You can read it for free on Tsubaki's website.

As for other religions, I can't say. Take a walk around google and see what you can dig up :P If you have questions about Kemeticism and Shintoism, I can do my best to help answer them, or point you to someone who  knows an answer.

-Devo

Thankies. Any suggestions for blended paths?

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:27:37 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;42326
Thankies. Any suggestions for blended paths?

Depends on which paths you're blending, and how much blending you plan on doing.

I practice both Kemeticism and Shintoism, but I keep the practices separate, more or less. However, there is a certain degree of crossover btwn the two.  

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:34 am »
Quote from: Devo;42343
Depends on which paths you're blending, and how much blending you plan on doing.

I practice both Kemeticism and Shintoism, but I keep the practices separate, more or less. However, there is a certain degree of crossover btwn the two.  

-Devo

Well i meant blending paths in general. I have no idea what paths i plan on blending, kinda still in the learning about other religions and what I'm looking for in them stage

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 04:40:55 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;42355
Well i meant blending paths in general.

Then you'll probably want to check out Darkhawk's essay On Eclecticism, Syncretism, Multiple-Path, and other Combinatorics.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:19 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;42372
Then you'll probably want to check out Darkhawk's essay On Eclecticism, Syncretism, Multiple-Path, and other Combinatorics.

Sunflower

thank you :3 i don't know yet what path I want to follow, but it's important to me that if I choose to be an eclectic I go about it in a good way. Respecting other people and their culture and religion, and of course respecting the deities themselves, is a huge deal to me.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;42177
Yes, you are correct.  I highly recommend both Temple of Cosmos by Jeremy Naydler and Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy.  Kerry Wisner is also another good author to check out.

Edit: there are A LOT of crap books out there on the subject though (I'd probably say most of the books I've seen on the topic), so I'd start with those two books, believe me they will give you more than enough info.

ok, can I ask for other book suggestions that you know of? there are lots of suggestions on amazon and I don't want to buy crap books lol

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;45316
ok, can I ask for other book suggestions that you know of? there are lots of suggestions on amazon and I don't want to buy crap books lol

Magic in Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch is good.

I was browsing amazon a few weeks back as most of what I saw was not all the encouraging.  

Stay away from Budge and Robert Masters.  

Naydler, Reidy, Pinch and Wisner should be more than enough to keep you very very busy.

If you want to go hardcore academic, Jan Assman has sold material too.

There are a lot of books out there about Egypt, but as far as Kemetic Recon go, those are a lot more rare to find.  I've seen a lot that seems to just throw as much random stuff in it and call it Egyptian Magic.  I'd stick to the ones mentioned so far.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:03:49 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;45318
.. Stay away from Budge and Robert Masters.  

I'm curious as to why you'd place Budge on this list to stay away from.  Granted he is some what old as most of his stuff is quite a few years out of date.  Yet he is still one of the recognized experts on many things dealing with ancient Egypt.  Most places still recommend his translations of the Book of the Dead over many newer ones.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:47 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;45318
Magic in Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch is good.

I was browsing amazon a few weeks back as most of what I saw was not all the encouraging.  

Stay away from Budge and Robert Masters.  

Naydler, Reidy, Pinch and Wisner should be more than enough to keep you very very busy.

If you want to go hardcore academic, Jan Assman has sold material too.

There are a lot of books out there about Egypt, but as far as Kemetic Recon go, those are a lot more rare to find.  I've seen a lot that seems to just throw as much random stuff in it and call it Egyptian Magic.  I'd stick to the ones mentioned so far.

Thank you for the suggestions. While I do appreciate an academic work, my brain kinda goes in separate directions with topics such as religion so I need a balance between academics and...other stuff XD I'm looking into those authors now :3 though one of those books is on amazon for $199.99 not including shipping. While I'm sure it's a great book I know it's probably not worth paying that much for it lol

Tags: