collapse

Author Topic: Combining the magic of different cultures  (Read 3607 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Combining the magic of different cultures
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:54 pm »
A little while back i made a pouch for one of my friends who was experiencing Paranormal problems. For those that do not know a pouch is a Native American device which is used by some Northeastern(and maybe others i do not know) tribes to protect ones self against malevolent spirits. What i did i found unique.

I got some of my buddies together to show me what to do. Rick is Oddawa, Joe is Sag-Chip, and Elaine is also Oddawa. We went through the traditional method of curing the leather and then making the pouch. But after that i marked the pouch with runes of protection and used alot of Lavendar as a ward, as well as using Queen Anne's Lace and Bear root, which my Native buddies told me to put in. I gave the pouch to my friend a couple days later. It helped tremendously. I was amazed.

Has anyone else tried blending different cultures magiks? If so, any stories you want to share or advice? :D:
-Todd

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Combining the magic of different cultures
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:28 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42166
Has anyone else tried blending different cultures magiks?

To be honest, it's hard for anyone to not combine the techniques of different cultures unless they have only been in contact with their own (isolated) culture or they make a real effort to locate and use magic from their culture alone.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:17:38 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42166
A little while back i made a pouch for one of my friends who was experiencing Paranormal problems. For those that do not know a pouch is a Native American device which is used by some Northeastern(and maybe others i do not know) tribes to protect ones self against malevolent spirits. What i did i found unique.

I got some of my buddies together to show me what to do. Rick is Oddawa, Joe is Sag-Chip, and Elaine is also Oddawa. We went through the traditional method of curing the leather and then making the pouch. But after that i marked the pouch with runes of protection and used alot of Lavendar as a ward, as well as using Queen Anne's Lace and Bear root, which my Native buddies told me to put in. I gave the pouch to my friend a couple days later. It helped tremendously. I was amazed.

Has anyone else tried blending different cultures magiks? If so, any stories you want to share or advice? :D:
-Todd

Not to split hairs but a Native American Medicine Pouch is not that differnt in purpose or composition than a Hoodoo Pouch, Santeria Pouch or even what some call a lucky pouch.   Many folk practices have used various pouches and bags for years and years to hold charms, poultices, sacred items, etc.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:20:36 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;42202
Not to split hairs but a Native American Medicine Pouch is not that differnt in purpose or composition than a Hoodoo Pouch, Santeria Pouch or even what some call a lucky pouch.   Many folk practices have used various pouches and bags for years and years to hold charms, poultices, sacred items, etc.

Truthfully i wouldn't know. I am very inexperienced when it comes to anything like this. I just found it quite interesting is all. Thanks for the input ;)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:22 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;42198
To be honest, it's hard for anyone to not combine the techniques of different cultures unless they have only been in contact with their own (isolated) culture or they make a real effort to locate and use magic from their culture alone.

That totally makes sense. There are too many of us not to have blended some ideas in the past.

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 06:14:48 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42244
That totally makes sense. There are too many of us not to have blended some ideas in the past.

Blending together things from other cultures beliefs etc is what those of us who practice Chaos do regularly.

I use things from my Cherokee lineage, some Navajo thoughts and combine them with the teachings of Carroll, Mace, Hine and Spare.
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:05:29 am »
Quote from: Smokebender;42466
Blending together things from other cultures beliefs etc is what those of us who practice Chaos do regularly.

I use things from my Cherokee lineage, some Navajo thoughts and combine them with the teachings of Carroll, Mace, Hine and Spare.

I regularly combine magics of all kinds to great effect.
I find when I pile it on the spell really works the best.
the biggest element your adding is belief, and that works across all cultures.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;42198

Yep, yep! What you and pretty much everyone else have said. I actually like actively combining my pouches (or whatever I'm doing) so the project better suits me. Different people work better with different things and different vibrations, that kind of thing.

Tags: