Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Where Science and Magic Meet  (Read 3182 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Where Science and Magic Meet
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:06:29 pm »
Where Science and Magic Meet
Author: Serena Roney-Dougal
published 2010 by Green Magic  
ISBN-10: 0956188613
ISBN-13: 978-0956188618  
Paperback, 299 pages
List: $22.99
View this Book on Amazon

Reviewer: Mike Gleason

It seems that most of my reviews thus far this year have had a bit of a preface, and this is another one in that list.  I am one of the “old school” generation (the baby boomers) and never really got into the whole quantum- and/or neuro-science fields.  Therefore I am at a bit of a disadvantage when tackling these subjects.  Many of you reading this review are undoubtedly more familiar with these topics than I am.  Therefore, I ask that you keep that in mind while reading this review.

Ms Roney-Dougal presents a broad overview of the field of parapsychology (an in-depth overview would be impossible in a single volume) in this revised and updated third edition.  The original publication was 20 years ago and the major difference between then and now is the level of acceptance of the subject by the scientific community as well as the general public.  On the scientific front, there has been a lot of research done showing the inter-connectedness of all aspects of the universe (the simultaneous existence of a photon as both a particle and a wave, as well as the reaction of non- connected particles – if I understand the theory correctly) which would have dismissed out of hand 20 years ago.  On the general population front, there are large numbers of shows (particularly on cable) dealing with ghosts and paranormal topics in general which draw large numbers of viewers on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, I found it difficult to get into this book.  It wasn't the writing, as Ms Roney-Dougal has no difficulty making herself clear.  It may simply have been my lack of familiarity with the subject matter, but I kept slogging away at it, and it was worth the effort.  As a rank novice in at least one of the primary topics of the book, I found it to be well worth the effort.

As a practical book, it has little value - that is, you won't learn any magic from it.  What you will learn from it is how societies have seen the function of magick, as well as those techniques which tend to facilitate the actual occurrence of those events which are perceived as magickal.  It is one of those books which work on your perceptions for a long time after you finish reading it.  It helps to alter how you perceive the world, and what you expect of it.

It easily falls into the category of books which serve to help to build a solid foundation for magickal workings.  As such, it (like many of the books from Green Magic) deserves to find its way into your library.  I have yet to be disappointed by a book I have gotten from them.

This review is, at best, incomplete at this time, as I am still working through a great deal of what I read.  I hope to release an updated, more in-depth review in a few months, when I have been able to integrate more of it into my intellectual understanding.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Wrynn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Where Science and Magic Meet
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;2028
 On the scientific front, there has been a lot of research done showing the inter-connectedness of all aspects of the universe (the simultaneous existence of a photon as both a particle and a wave, as well as the reaction of non- connected particles – if I understand the theory correctly) which would have dismissed out of hand 20 years ago.

Interesting and thought provoking.  We discussed this in philosophy two semesters ago, in regards to the quote, what is really interesting is that the exact same non-connected particles react as a kind of mirror image, when one reacts or does a thing the non-connected particle reacts and mirrors the other across space in the same time or moment and there is no connection whatsoever.

This lends my thoughts to intent if I send something out with the energy of my mind and manipulate what is at hand, and since those energies are omniscient, then my intent should cause the desired result where it was intended.

What we refer to magick is almost like built in human wireless communication with energy across space and time.  Magick is very real.
)o( Blessed be,
Wrynn Aethelraed

Tags: