Results 1 to 1 of 1
23 Jun 2011 07:19 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
- Last Online
- Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
- Central Texas
- Hellenic Pagan
About the Hellenic and Roman Polytheism SIG (Special Rules)
The Hellenic and Roman Polytheism SIG is a recon-oriented debate and discussion forum focused on Hellenic Polytheism, Roman Polytheism, and related ancient beliefs. All willing to follow The Cauldron's Rules are welcome. You will have a better experience here if you are aware of the following:
- Please use the Thread Prefixes when you start a thread. Pick the prefix that best covers the specific focus (Hellenic or Roman) and the time period you wish to discussion. The "Graeco-Roman General" prefix should only be used for discussions that cover both the Greek and Roman side of things (e.g. comparing Ares and Mars).
- "Recon-oriented" means that Unconfirmed Personal Gnosis (UPG) and non-primary or non-scholastic secondary sources will not be given the same weight as primary source material or scholastic secondary material in our discussions. (In other words, Hesiod and Homer will take precedence over something published by a Llewellyn author, something one saw in a dream, or the like.) If you are using UPG or questionable modern sources, you need to state that up front in your posts.
- "Debate and discussion board" means that members are not required to agree and that debate can get very heated at times. However, we expect our members to always remember that those they are debating are not just names on a post, but real people who also have rights and feelings. The object of this board is to learn from the mix of ideas and views, not to completely demolish all who disagree with you.
- The official position of this SIG is that the Gods call whom they will regardless of national origin, language spoken, race, gender, etc. While you are welcome to personally hold different views, this board is not the place to agitate for them.
- Recon "pissing" contests (e.g. "I'm a real Recon and you aren't because I do 'X' and you don't.") are not welcome here. The Gods are welcome to judge who is a true worshipper and who is not if they wish, but it is hubris for humans to do it for them.
- As far as modern practices go, our focus is a Hellenic or Roman religion that fits into the modern world while remaining true to the core of ancient practices and beliefs. That is, we focus on adapting ancient Hellenic or Roman religions to the current world we live in, not trying to exactly duplicate ancient practices and times -- especially those parts of ancient practices that require large numbers of people in one place, lavish state sponsored rituals and the like. If you have problems with this idea, this is probably not the SIG for you. On the other hand, a modern Hellenic or modern Roman religion will not look anything like the more popular Neo-Pagan religions (like Wicca, generic Neo-Paganism, etc.), so if you are looking for a Hellenic "Wicca-like" religion, this is probably not the SIG for you either.
Last edited by RandallS; 13 Feb 2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Updated Rules
By RandallS in forum Hazel and Oak: A Celtic Polytheism SIGReplies: 0Last Post: 23 Jun 2011, 06:14 PM