collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Advice needed on meditation techniques.  (Read 2415 times)

Ataegina

• View Profile
Advice needed on meditation techniques.
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:13:28 pm »
This is my first post here and I hope I'm doing it in the right place.

I've starting to try to practice the basic techniques of grounding, centering, shielding and meditation / visualization. I've been reading virtually everywhere that these are the basics of witchcraft and ritual, so I thought I should start working on it.

I'm still trying to figure out centering and grounding and now meditation is getting wierd.

I figured out that sitting is the best for me (since I fall asleep if I do it laying down) but instead of getting me relaxed it gets me anxious, especially if I need to control my breathing (as all meditation exercises I've seen tells me to do). It seems to me that its when I'm not noticing the way I breathe and just let it flow that I do it best.

So, I guess what I wanted to ask is if controlled breathing is absolutely necessary to achieve a good meditative state?

Also, can anyone point me towards a good online resource with guided meditations? I've been told it's good way to get used to meditation but I can't seem to find anything good.

On another note, I've been getting the image of a white wolf in the middle of my forest (I almost always imagine I'm in a forest, for some reason) and last time she transformed into a woman wearing a white wolf skin (the wolf head on top of her head and the rest of the skin hanging down the back). She just stood there looking at me as if expecting me to do something. Which I did, I freaked myself out of meditation.
I'm still kind of hoping this was all in my head. Seriously.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Trillcat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on meditation techniques.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:03:01 pm »
Quote from: Ataegina;36296

I've starting to try to practice the basic techniques of grounding, centering, shielding and meditation / visualization. I've been reading virtually everywhere that these are the basics of witchcraft and ritual, so I thought I should start working on it.

I'm still trying to figure out centering and grounding and now meditation is getting wierd.

I figured out that sitting is the best for me (since I fall asleep if I do it laying down) but instead of getting me relaxed it gets me anxious, especially if I need to control my breathing (as all meditation exercises I've seen tells me to do). It seems to me that its when I'm not noticing the way I breathe and just let it flow that I do it best.

So, I guess what I wanted to ask is if controlled breathing is absolutely necessary to achieve a good meditative state?

Also, can anyone point me towards a good online resource with guided meditations? I've been told it's good way to get used to meditation but I can't seem to find anything good.

On another note, I've been getting the image of a white wolf in the middle of my forest (I almost always imagine I'm in a forest, for some reason) and last time she transformed into a woman wearing a white wolf skin (the wolf head on top of her head and the rest of the skin hanging down the back). She just stood there looking at me as if expecting me to do something. Which I did, I freaked myself out of meditation.
I'm still kind of hoping this was all in my head. Seriously.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

You are your best resource in meditation, it is going within, you are the dream, only you can prevent forest fires.
What was the wolf trying to tell you? Dont be afraid, the meaning is there, I am am not being snarky now
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:06:38 pm by Trillcat »

Khep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:55:08 pm »

Ataegina - Hi.   I would suggest you should start with simple meditation for relaxation and 'centering', not visualizing, first.  Maybe you know this already - but for what it's worth . . .
      The basic idea (to me) is to slow down, quiet down the "inner dialogue" -- that 'voice' of thoughts and feelings that is chattering on in our heads most of the time.  One simple method is to count to 10. Breathe in - 1. Breathe out - 2. And so on.  Then start over. You can just follow your breath, but counting can help concentration too.

Just concentrate on your breathing, and don't worry about "control."  It will naturally get deeper and more regular.  Eventually, you get so it's just -you- that is your main awareness. Not your thoughts and worries, not distractions in your environment, and not any particular visualization.  I would try and start with that before visualizing.  
     So I guess this is *not* "guided meditation.  I don't know.  I know I don't imagine myself to be anywhere else as an 'aid' to get started. But I guess a lot of people do.

I'm new to deliberately 'centering' as a practise, but I'm not finding it too hard to 'get', I think.  Basically I feel that what I described above is 'centering', but now I also go on to imagine a ball of light within, at my solar plexus, and focus on it as my physical 'balance point.'  

When I meet someone in a visualization, I try to treat them as equals - as I would talk to someone I just met in "real life."  Starting with a 'Hello' and a smile can be a good start. Then asking a simple question like who are you?, or why are you here?  
     But since you say you "seriously" hope it "was all in my head," I'll leave it at that.  The important thing is not to rush, go with what your heart and gut says you can handle.  Even just simple relax-meditation once or twice a day for a short period is a good start, I believe.  

Khep
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:01:38 pm by Khep »
“I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of the Imagination.”    ― John Keats

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »

I would say, no.  Meditation is a state of mind - of relaxed focus, a shedding of everything else but that which you are focused on.  There are many ways to attain this state, controlled breathing is just one of them.  For many, the rhythmic ebb and flow of controlled breathing is helpful to attain this state, typically in conjunction with counting.  I've used it myself.  I've also attained this state from gazing into a fire, through archery practice, dance and even on the fencing strip.  

I think one of the reasons that controlled breathing is so frequently used is that it's always available to us.  Deep rhythmic breathing also has the physiological effect of providing more oxygen to your system which can be relaxing.  On occasion, I play flute, tin whistle or a home made didgeridoo.  I'm really a rank beginner with music, I'm actually playing more for the effect that it has on me than to learn how to play songs.  Since these instruments require a great deal of breathing and concentration for me to play I find that I'm in quite a relaxed state afterwards.  This is very conducive towards meditation.

Beyond this, I would suggest looking at the activities in which you find yourself relaxed and focused.  See if there is a way in which you can adapt them to suit an approach to meditation.  For example, if you were to try dance play a few songs, enjoy dancing to them.  Let yourself completely feel the music as it moves through you - embody and express it.  Enjoy yourself.  Afterwards, sit quietly and turn your focus inward.  You've already done the hard part - you focused and breathed your way through the dance.  Now move on.

You want to find a way for yourself that supports and enhances a relaxed and focused mental state.  Just don't force it.  Doing so will actively work against exactly what you're trying to create.
Reality is but perception.

Ataegina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:25 am »
Quote from: Khep;36328

The basic idea (to me) is to slow down, quiet down the "inner dialogue" -- that 'voice' of thoughts and feelings that is chattering on in our heads most of the time.  One simple method is to count to 10. Breathe in - 1. Breathe out - 2. And so on.  Then start over. You can just follow your breath, but counting can help concentration too.

Just concentrate on your breathing, and don't worry about "control."  It will naturally get deeper and more regular.  Eventually, you get so it's just -you- that is your main awareness. Not your thoughts and worries, not distractions in your environment, and not any particular visualization.  I would try and start with that before visualizing.  

I'm new to deliberately 'centering' as a practise, but I'm not finding it too hard to 'get', I think.  Basically I feel that what I described above is 'centering', but now I also go on to imagine a ball of light within, at my solar plexus, and focus on it as my physical 'balance point.'

When I meet someone in a visualization, I try to treat them as equals - as I would talk to someone I just met in "real life."  Starting with a 'Hello' and a smile can be a good start. Then asking a simple question like who are you?, or why are you here?  
     But since you say you "seriously" hope it "was all in my head," I'll leave it at that.  The important thing is not to rush, go with what your heart and gut says you can handle.  Even just simple relax-meditation once or twice a day for a short period is a good start, I believe.  

Khep

Thanks! This all seem like very good ideas, especially the breathing exercise. It seems simple enough for me. I'll give it a try today and see how it goes.
The centering technique you use also seems like something I can handle. My main problem so far has been focusing my attention long enough to actually feel like its working. I tend to let my mind wander very easily. But I guess I just need to practice and experiment until I find something that works.

On the mater of the wolf woman I saw, I guess I freaked out because I wasn't expecting to encounter someone so soon. I'm very new to practising and I'm really just taking baby steps. On the other, hand I'm very good at daydreaming and making up stories in my head, so that's why my first reaction (coupled with the surprise I got) was to say I'm sure it was all in my head. But then again I wouldn't have freaked out if I was in control...
Anyway, if she appears again I'll be polite this time and try to see what is she wants and who she is.  
Again thanks for the advice.

Ataegina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 06:40:43 am »
Quote from: Oaksworn;36329
I would say, no.  Meditation is a state of mind - of relaxed focus, a shedding of everything else but that which you are focused on.  There are many ways to attain this state, controlled breathing is just one of them.

This helps to ease my mind. It seems obvious there shouldn't be only one way to meditate but most techniques I've encountered stress that breathing is very important.

Quote from: Oaksworn;36329
Beyond this, I would suggest looking at the activities in which you find yourself relaxed and focused.  See if there is a way in which you can adapt them to suit an approach to meditation.  For example, if you were to try dance play a few songs, enjoy dancing to them.  Let yourself completely feel the music as it moves through you - embody and express it.  Enjoy yourself.  Afterwards, sit quietly and turn your focus inward.  You've already done the hard part - you focused and breathed your way through the dance.  Now move on.

You want to find a way for yourself that supports and enhances a relaxed and focused mental state.  Just don't force it.  Doing so will actively work against exactly what you're trying to create.

You just gave a ton to think about.
Dancing also seems to me like a good way to center, depending on the way you do it. It just seems like a good way to bring all your focus into your body.

And yes, after these replies I think I just need to not worry so much about if "i'm doing it right" and let it flow until I find something that actually works for me.

You guys helped me tone down my growing anxiety ;) Thanks.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

I like the guided meditations available through the Goddess Download website. Click on the "Yoga and Meditation" link in the left menu. They're not free, but there's a free sample and the prices are very reasonable.

I'm not sure how she handles international customers, as I'm in the US, but I've bought her entire CD of meditations, as well as all the audio rituals and I really enjoy them.

Karen

Wulffwynne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:00:41 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;36380
I like the guided meditations available through the Goddess Download website. Click on the "Yoga and Meditation" link in the left menu.

Karen

hey, I'm also reading through the boards for info/advice... thanks for that link!  :D:

Ataegina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:04 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;36380
I like the guided meditations available through the Goddess Download website. Click on the "Yoga and Meditation" link in the left menu. They're not free, but there's a free sample and the prices are very reasonable.

I'm not sure how she handles international customers, as I'm in the US, but I've bought her entire CD of meditations, as well as all the audio rituals and I really enjoy them.

Karen

Thanks for the info :)

I've been to the website and I didn't find anything about international costumers but since the prices do seem reasonable I'll be sure to send and e-mail questionning how I can aquire the CD.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »
...especially if I need to control my breathing (as all meditation exercises I've seen tells me to do). It seems to me that its when I'm not noticing the way I breathe and just let it flow that I do it best.

Just adding to what others have said here:  mostly, in the meditation exercises I've run into, the primary purpose of paying so much attention to breathing is that it can be a useful thing to focus on to still your "everyday" kind of thoughts ("What's on my to-do list for tomorrow?  Did I remember to turn off the kettle?  I wonder if I have everything I need to make the dish I want to have for supper?" etc.) - being distracted by little ordinary thoughts is one of the most common problems people have with meditation, and having something in-the-moment, like breathing, to put all their attention on is easier for most people than just not thinking about those things.

If you're not having trouble with those thought-intrusions, you probably don't need to focus on your breathing.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »

I can't say for sure if it's 100% necessary, but it it certainly useful. It really helps to clear and focus the mind.

My suggestion would be to spend about a minute or two breathing normally at the start of meditation, then take a deep breath in, and out, and do those two more times. As you breath out clear your mind with each breath. Then in this state your mind should be at least some what calm and clear. This is what I do and it seems to have worked well for me.

Ataegina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 02:06:16 pm »
Quote from: Zeno;36889
I can't say for sure if it's 100% necessary, but it it certainly useful. It really helps to clear and focus the mind.

Yes, I get that and thanks for your suggestion.

I've been trying the exercise suggested by Khep and it seems to work better than the other stuff I've tried, so right now I think I'm gonna stick with it until I get the hang of all this.

Later on I intend to start mixing a bit with guided meditations and work from there.

So thanks to everyone! :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:06:59 pm by Ataegina »

Tags: