Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: I may invoke a djinn. We will all die or be imprisioned soon anyway  (Read 18305 times)

River

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: I may invoke a djinn. We will all die or be imprisioned soon anyway
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2011, 02:36:47 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;35966
*excuses self to go get his lighter back* ;)

Exactly, knowledge is power.  There needs to be an evaluation, IMO, of when it is appropriate to share and not share.  I tend to lean toward being open, but it can depend on the subject and the parties involved.  This is not just for magick, but for everything really.

I lived in Morocco for ten years where the belief in Jinn influenced daily behavior. One time I had a group over and someone who was "ultra-spiritual" (sorry, don't know how else to say it) said he saw a spirit with a cat-like face and another with a face made from sticks and mud. It was during a time when many of us on our team (tourist center) felt oppressed in one way or another and many of us were having very bad dreams. Take all this for what it is worth - doesn't prove or disprove anything, but that we don't fully understand the spiritual realm, and as westerners it takes time to fully understand the concept of Jinn even when living amongst people who put out offerings to them.

River

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2011, 02:49:36 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;35916
Mmm.

I would say, perhaps, that people who are familiar with the justifications put forth by colonisers and imperialists are likely to recognise the same trappings again - such as "God said we should command you."  That one has been pretty popular in Western politics for a good long time; it's hard to be unfamiliar with it.

Whether or not one understands the logic put forth does not have a lot of bearing on whether or not one agrees with it.

This kind of dialectic is entirely applicable to Western ceremonial magick. I just don't think it's necessarily our place to be dictating our politics to beginners. The coercion of spirits is a dynamic that occurs in all kinds of cultural paradigms, but we don't often go waving our Marxist flags in discussions about traditional shamanism.

Quote from: Catherine;35917
You're talking about two experienced magicians who studied for years! Decades! You're talking to someone who, given other posts in other threads, doesn't even know enough about magical theory to adapt a basic protection spell! IMO, encouraging the OP to summon an entity of any kind is, at the very least, irresponsible in this situation.

As you can see, I was responding to the idea put forth by Tana that magic doesn't work "that way," by pointing out that these educated and experienced men thought otherwise.

The grimoires were written for the benefit of absolutely anyone to use, and the vast majority of them provide instructions for the magician's protection. It is not "irresponsible" to encourage someone to read them or try them out. Everybody starts somewhere. Even Gardner and Crowley.

Quote from: Valentine;35963
Indeed.  I'm not making mincing distinctions between "white" and "black" magic; I'm a bloody necromancer.  I'm also not saying magic doesn't or shouldn't do anything.  I'm saying a discussion about the ethics of the matter might be at hand.  I think we can have adult conversations about ethics and responsibility, and those don't stop when we start lighting candles and pulling out knives, thank you.  As far as I am concerned, a desire to have power unbounded by ethical responsibilities is the realm of children and sociopaths.  Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

And, as knowledge is a manner of power, I'm also disinclined to use my knowledge by sharing it with someone I know will harm themselves or another with it.  It seems imprudent and unkind to enable someone else's foolishness--like giving a child a bottle of lighter fluid and a book of matches and saying "go play."

I think it's imprudent and unkind to treat students of the occult like foolish children. If a person makes a mistake, s/he will learn from it. If a person comes to deplorable ethical conclusions, that's not something we can control. This person is not your son or daughter. Threads like this so often take a forbidding and paternalistic tone, and I find it troubling. You're certainly within your rights to state your own ethical stance. But I am equally within my rights to advise the OP on the subject of his interest, without judging him.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 03:14:47 am »
Quote from: Malkin;35973

Everybody starts somewhere. Even Gardner and Crowley.

IMO, summoning a djinn isn't exactly magic 101. So... not exactly the best place to start.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 08:39:45 am »
This kind of dialectic is entirely applicable to Western ceremonial magick. I just don't think it's necessarily our place to be dictating our politics to beginners.

Well, if you put it that way, since I think that Western ceremonial magic, especially as commonly practiced, is both racist and sexist, just like the Western culture that it reflects, supports, and reifies, and since I have a problem with both racism and sexism, I think a beginner who wants to pursue it should not be asking a group that includes me for their opinions.  Because I will damn well tell people that I think their approaches are scummy.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 09:30:46 am »
.. I think it's imprudent and unkind to treat students of the occult like foolish children. If a person makes a mistake, s/he will learn from it. If a person comes to deplorable ethical conclusions, that's not something we can control. This person is not your son or daughter. Threads like this so often take a forbidding and paternalistic tone, and I find it troubling. You're certainly within your rights to state your own ethical stance. But I am equally within my rights to advise the OP on the subject of his interest, without judging him.

That is not always true.  Physical death allows for no learning from ones mistakes.  Pyschological destruction allows for no learning from one's mistakes.  Mental crushing allows for no one to learn from their mistakes.

You mention that many grimories were made for anyone, with that I disagree for many present material but unless one was initiated or indoctrinated into the specific school they didn't get the unwritten parts that went with it.  It's sort of like looking a Modern Wicca, there is plently written about it and how to do it but it's the so called inner court teachings that are missing which changes it.

You might read the initiation items I have but come away with the wrong material or incomplete material and understanding for what is not written there is as important as what is.

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
This kind of dialectic is entirely applicable to Western ceremonial magick. I just don't think it's necessarily our place to be dictating our politics to beginners. The coercion of spirits is a dynamic that occurs in all kinds of cultural paradigms, but we don't often go waving our Marxist flags in discussions about traditional shamanism.

The grimoires were written for the benefit of absolutely anyone to use, and the vast majority of them provide instructions for the magician's protection. It is not "irresponsible" to encourage someone to read them or try them out. Everybody starts somewhere. Even Gardner and Crowley.

I think it's imprudent and unkind to treat students of the occult like foolish children. If a person makes a mistake, s/he will learn from it. If a person comes to deplorable ethical conclusions, that's not something we can control. This person is not your son or daughter. Threads like this so often take a forbidding and paternalistic tone, and I find it troubling. You're certainly within your rights to state your own ethical stance. But I am equally within my rights to advise the OP on the subject of his interest, without judging him.

What Darkhawk said.  To add to that, in my world, magic is not some super-special category that is somehow isolated from broader socio-cultural issues.  I am a folklorist, and it is my job to think about how specialized discourses, like magic, reflect and operate within larger cultural paradigms.  It's how I think, and it's built into the requirements of my profession.  Magical systems do not drop out of the sky fully formed from the gods; they are created by people in specific times and places who have absorbed particular attitudes about the nature of the universe and humans' (and categories of humans) place within it.  If you can't be bothered to understand that cultural context, then you'll only ever have a shallow understanding of magic.  And for those who think in terms of cultural codes and paradigms, Marxism (or more accurately, some of the concerns of Marxism) is totally relevant to discussions of shamanism:  the types of questions asked within Marxist thought about classes of workers and real/imagined values of exchange are pretty directly relevant to how the category "shaman" works within the societies that have them.  

And as for grimoires being available for anyone -- the answer to that is *no*.  In the modern West, where basic literacy is near-universal and there's fairly widespread access to language instruction and information in general, and the books themselves are not hard to get, it may seem that way.  But the Western ceremonial magic tradition is, as I said before, a product of historical periods in which education was limited to a very, very small number of people -- the elite of the elite.  Books themselves were, until the 19th century or so, expensive, precious objects, and most people couldn't read them at all.  One of the very, very basic things about the circulation of knowledge in culture is that there are certain groups of people who are considered "trustworthy" -- that is, their class/education/age/gender/etc. means that they can be trusted with knowledge, as opposed to the hoi polloi.  (Look up the history of the the nude in Western art -- what was fine for bourgeois educated men to look at was often hidden or restricted for the lower classes, so as not to "enflame their base passions"; bourgeois sorts were credited with rationality and self-control that entitles them to look.)  Grimoires are DELIBERATELY part of that mindset --they are often intentionally obscure, in order to keep the "unworthy" from understanding them.

Owen Davies is the foremost historical expert on these traditions, and his books engage with exactly all that stuff that you find so irrelevant, like the class system and gendered attitudes of the cultures that produced them.  This stuff does not exist in a vacuum, and I think it's both shallow and unethical to pretend otherwise.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:08 pm »
Quote from: catja6;36067
And as for grimoires being available for anyone -- the answer to that is *no*.  In the modern West, where basic literacy is near-universal and there's fairly widespread access to language instruction and information in general, and the books themselves are not hard to get, it may seem that way.  But the Western ceremonial magic tradition is, as I said before, a product of historical periods in which education was limited to a very, very small number of people -- the elite of the elite.  Books themselves were, until the 19th century or so, expensive, precious objects, and most people couldn't read them at all.

I once tripped over a ceremonialist who was going on at length about how women aren't good at magic because they just don't do it and never have - as if the only magic that "counts" is the magic of those wealthy elites who have all of their needs taken care of by servants and thus can spend their time dabbling in books.

Basically, as if the only magic is that practiced by the rich white guys who act like God said they could rule the world.
we rise and fall

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;36073
I once tripped over a ceremonialist who was going on at length about how women aren't good at magic because they just don't do it and never have - as if the only magic that "counts" is the magic of those wealthy elites who have all of their needs taken care of by servants and thus can spend their time dabbling in books.

Basically, as if the only magic is that practiced by the rich white guys who act like God said they could rule the world.

Ugh.  And it's completely unsurprising, too.  Not that all ceremonialists are like that, but those historical conditions are so deeply embedded in the system that, if you want to be ethical about things, it takes a lot of careful thought to untangle the useful stuff.  Davies talks extensively about how the grimoire tradition, far more so than folk magic, was primarily male, because of assumptions about gender hierarchies and the corresponding access to education.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2011, 05:12:19 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;36028
Well, if you put it that way, since I think that Western ceremonial magic, especially as commonly practiced, is both racist and sexist, just like the Western culture that it reflects, supports, and reifies, and since I have a problem with both racism and sexism, I think a beginner who wants to pursue it should not be asking a group that includes me for their opinions.  Because I will damn well tell people that I think their approaches are scummy.

You've made that clear. I can respect your stances and share many of them. But by the same token, would you warn a beginner against joining the Golden Dawn or the O.T.O. because of your beliefs? Is this the kind of thing you would tell them? Or would you respect their goals and interests? I'm just disturbed by the power dynamic that goes on in these threads between beginners and...not-beginners.

Quote from: monsnoleedra;36036
That is not always true.  Physical death allows for no learning from ones mistakes.  Pyschological destruction allows for no learning from one's mistakes.  Mental crushing allows for no one to learn from their mistakes.

Your sense of alarm is unnecessary. I know many people who do this kind of work and went at it right from the beginning, just to see what would happen. Plenty of them made mistakes. None of them are dead.

Neopagans have a tendency to segregate themselves from ceremonial magicians because of their feelings on topics like this, and it leads to this dread mystique surrounding the actual practices they engage in. Get to know this community, and trust me, you'll see that precious few practitioners are being sent off to Arkham Asylum.

You mention that many grimories were made for anyone, with that I disagree for many present material but unless one was initiated or indoctrinated into the specific school they didn't get the unwritten parts that went with it.  It's sort of like looking a Modern Wicca, there is plently written about it and how to do it but it's the so called inner court teachings that are missing which changes it.

You might read the initiation items I have but come away with the wrong material or incomplete material and understanding for what is not written there is as important as what is.

Having incomplete texts didn't stop anyone from using them. It certainly doesn't stop today's eclectic Wiccans from doing it (to say nothing of calling themselves Wiccans.) Do you go around telling them that what they're doing is dangerous and that they should stop? I mean, how would they even know? They don't have the inner court teachings, after all.

Quote from: catja6;36067
What Darkhawk said.  To add to that, in my world, magic is not some super-special category that is somehow isolated from broader socio-cultural issues.  I am a folklorist, and it is my job to think about how specialized discourses, like magic, reflect and operate within larger cultural paradigms.  It's how I think, and it's built into the requirements of my profession.  Magical systems do not drop out of the sky fully formed from the gods; they are created by people in specific times and places who have absorbed particular attitudes about the nature of the universe and humans' (and categories of humans) place within it.  If you can't be bothered to understand that cultural context, then you'll only ever have a shallow understanding of magic.  And for those who think in terms of cultural codes and paradigms, Marxism (or more accurately, some of the concerns of Marxism) is totally relevant to discussions of shamanism:  the types of questions asked within Marxist thought about classes of workers and real/imagined values of exchange are pretty directly relevant to how the category "shaman" works within the societies that have them.  

And as for grimoires being available for anyone -- the answer to that is *no*.  In the modern West, where basic literacy is near-universal and there's fairly widespread access to language instruction and information in general, and the books themselves are not hard to get, it may seem that way.  But the Western ceremonial magic tradition is, as I said before, a product of historical periods in which education was limited to a very, very small number of people -- the elite of the elite.  Books themselves were, until the 19th century or so, expensive, precious objects, and most people couldn't read them at all.  One of the very, very basic things about the circulation of knowledge in culture is that there are certain groups of people who are considered "trustworthy" -- that is, their class/education/age/gender/etc. means that they can be trusted with knowledge, as opposed to the hoi polloi.  (Look up the history of the the nude in Western art -- what was fine for bourgeois educated men to look at was often hidden or restricted for the lower classes, so as not to "enflame their base passions"; bourgeois sorts were credited with rationality and self-control that entitles them to look.)  Grimoires are DELIBERATELY part of that mindset --they are often intentionally obscure, in order to keep the "unworthy" from understanding them.

Owen Davies is the foremost historical expert on these traditions, and his books engage with exactly all that stuff that you find so irrelevant, like the class system and gendered attitudes of the cultures that produced them.  This stuff does not exist in a vacuum, and I think it's both shallow and unethical to pretend otherwise.

So if someone expressed an interest in a shamanic practices that involve the coercion of spirits, you would tell them not to pursue it because it's wrong? As I've said before, you're perfectly within your rights to have the criticisms that you do. I'm simply disturbed by a particular intellectual vice that presumably informed pagans seem to have, which is the belief that we have to rescue beginners from all the things we find unsavory. There's no such thing as bad knowledge. I would expect an egalitarian to share that ideal.

If you've read Owen Davies, then you'd know that cunning folk were often literate and in the possession of grimoires, despite not being members of the social elite. I will grant you that many of these texts were not intended for "the public at large." But do you honestly think that means that the "uneducated" person shouldn't read and learn from them? And I don't think it's accurate imply that, whomever these books were originally intended for, that they didn't become more and more accessible after the fact. Book piracy is not a modern invention.

All that aside, John Michael Greer has made the Picatrix available for the masses. Do you think that was irresponsible of him? Any beginner could read it. Are you going to write him a letter?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;36082
You've made that clear. I can respect your stances and share many of them. But by the same token, would you warn a beginner against joining the Golden Dawn or the O.T.O. because of your beliefs? Is this the kind of thing you would tell them? Or would you respect their goals and interests? I'm just disturbed by the power dynamic that goes on in these threads between beginners and...not-beginners.

I really could not give two shakes about groups, since they're utterly irrelevant to me and what I do.

I talk about what people do and the justifications they use for it, and "God told me it was okay to dominate everyone" is not a justification that I think is sweet, charming, and okay.

If someone is afeared of the power of a total stranger on the internet to say things and doesn't do stuff as a result, they are too weak-willed to learn a lick of magic.
we rise and fall

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;36083
If someone is afeared of the power of a total stranger on the internet to say things and doesn't do stuff as a result, they are too weak-willed to learn a lick of magic.

So if a beginner is successively intimidated by "knowledgeable" people out of doing something, that's his own fault? It makes him a worse magician for trusting your advice? That doesn't make sense.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;36085
So if a beginner is successively intimidated by "knowledgeable" people out of doing something, that's his own fault? It makes him a worse magician for trusting your advice? That doesn't make sense.

You're the one assigning random strangers on the internet tremendous oogety-boogety powers.  You explain it to yourself, as it's your manufactured problem.

The rest of us are just having conversations as social equals.
we rise and fall

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;36087
You're the one assigning random strangers on the internet tremendous oogety-boogety powers.  You explain it to yourself, as it's your manufactured problem.

The rest of us are just having conversations as social equals.

I see you've avoided answering my question. No matter. Quid pro quo, I think you're the one absolving yourself of responsibility. I think we can leave it at that.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;36089
I see you've avoided answering my question. No matter. Quid pro quo, I think you're the one absolving yourself of responsibility. I think we can leave it at that.

What responsibility am I avoiding, precisely?  Do share your wisdom.
we rise and fall

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:35 pm »
Quote from: Malkin;36089

My personal responsibility says that if someone asks a question, I have the responsibility to give what *I* think is the best answer.  If they just want raw info, there's google.  if they're going to a person/forum, they obviously want more human interaction, and that includes judgment.

Tags: