SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Orisha
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:12:08 am »
I remember there are a few of us here that honor some of the Orisha.  

1) Who do you honor?

2) How do you honor them?  In an ATR or ADR religion?  Within another framework?  Something else (other)?  

3) If you aren't in an established religion that honors them, how do you do it?  What resources do you use to help you honor them?
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Orisha
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:54:19 am »
Quote from: SatAset;31794

1) Who do you honor?

2) How do you honor them?  In an ATR or ADR religion?  Within another framework?  Something else (other)?  

3) If you aren't in an established religion that honors them, how do you do it?  What resources do you use to help you honor them?

That'd be Oya.  I had her presence/image turning up in some of my doings - for many years, I didn't know who she was; all I knew was that she was an ATR/ADR figure, and very definitely a strong and independent woman.  Eventually I found a website (apparently gone now - I've noticed that ATR/ADR websites come and go even more than most sites) on which the page about her started with the invocation/greeting, "Èpa Oya O!" - I read the rest of the info to be sure it was my African lady, but I was pretty sure right from when I first saw the greeting that I'd finally figured it out.

I don't use an ATR or ADR framework - what I do and how I do it was pretty much in place before any deities (etc) got themselves involved, and the basic "deal" I have with any of them is that I'll be honoring them in my own way; if they expect anything else, they've got the wrong witch.  That includes consulting with them (UPG) about whether it feels to them like being honored, and learning a bit about how they were/are honored in context of the religiocultures they come from, so I can include some of what they're used to - in Oya's case, I greet her with that invocation, which seems to please her considerably.

I also work with Papa Legba, but very definitely as that Lwa, not as the Orisha Ellegua/Eshu, so that's peripheral to your question.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;31805
That'd be Oya.  I had her presence/image turning up in some of my doings - for many years, I didn't know who she was; all I knew was that she was an ATR/ADR figure, and very definitely a strong and independent woman.  Eventually I found a website (apparently gone now - I've noticed that ATR/ADR websites come and go even more than most sites) on which the page about her started with the invocation/greeting, "Èpa Oya O!" - I read the rest of the info to be sure it was my African lady, but I was pretty sure right from when I first saw the greeting that I'd finally figured it out.

I don't use an ATR or ADR framework - what I do and how I do it was pretty much in place before any deities (etc) got themselves involved, and the basic "deal" I have with any of them is that I'll be honoring them in my own way; if they expect anything else, they've got the wrong witch.  That includes consulting with them (UPG) about whether it feels to them like being honored, and learning a bit about how they were/are honored in context of the religiocultures they come from, so I can include some of what they're used to - in Oya's case, I greet her with that invocation, which seems to please her considerably.
Sunflower

I honor Oya too.  

Is this the website you mean?   http://www.rootsandrooted.org/?p=53
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:44 pm »

I guess I should answer my own questions.  

I honor Oya and Yemoja primarily and Elegba as Lord of the Crossroads.

I didn't know who Oya was at first.   I had dreams with a dancing woman wearing a veil and wielding swords with a rainbow.  Once I found out who she was, I was surprised.  I never thought an Orisha would pay me much mind.

I have found some books helpful with understanding Oya:
Oya: In Praise of an African Goddess by Judith Gleason
Oya: Ifa and the Spirit of the Wind by Falokun Fatunmbi
Oya: Santeria and the Orisha of the Winds by Baba Raul Canizares

And for Yemoja: Maternal Divinity Yemonja: Tranquil Sea, Turbulent Tides by Lloyd Weaver and Olunrumni Egbelade.  

And for general books on Orisa:
Black Gods: Orisa Studies in the New World by John Mason and Edwards
Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa by Tobe Melora Correal.  

I'm not in an ATR or ADR with the Orisha.  I just honor them from what I learn in books and what I'm told via UPG.  

I had a purple cloth for Oya's shrine and I got the indication that she wanted a multi-colored one instead.  So now she has one and I found in two books that she can also be honored this way.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 02:17:17 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;31842
I'm not in an ATR or ADR with the Orisha.  I just honor them from what I learn in books and what I'm told via UPG.  

I do not have any connection with the Orisha. However, I was wondering what "ATR" and "ADR" was referring to?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Orisha
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;31849
I do not have any connection with the Orisha. However, I was wondering what "ATR" and "ADR" was referring to?

African Traditional Religion/African Diaspora Religion.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;31805

I also work with Papa Legba, but very definitely as that Lwa, not as the Orisha Ellegua/Eshu, so that's peripheral to your question.

Sunflower

ESHU
I work with him as a same entity but different aspect to papa legba......I was recently informed and researched that they aren't exactly the same and when I asked from them themselves,they told me to stop listening to others and what I'm doing is fine.
so I worship them as basically I guess an analogy is ,brothers,on the same shrine/alter,but they definatly show up in different aspects.
both get the spicy/candy/toy booze cigar treatment and the red and black.
but papa comes across as a chill old man with a sense of fun and eshu as a passionate,horny ,virile muscly adult with a mischievous prankster bent.

I don't worship in the framework of African diaspora or any of those,but I did research it,to find out if there were specifics I should stick to.
so I do have a stone from a long extending road in a bowl with a nail sticking out the top that I douse with fresh water on sun/mon. or wensday (when I remember) O.o
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;31851
African Traditional Religion/African Diaspora Religion.

That makes sense. I feel kinda dumb since I couldn't figure it out on my own. :o Thanks, Steph.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

xx_eclipse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »

1) Who do you honor?

1) I tend to honor Elegua most often since I keep him and the rest of the guerreros in my room instead of with my families'. I honor Chango as well.

I don't stick to one ADR framework. I grew up with Catholicism, Santeria, and Palo. It's become a great mix. When I received Elegua, my padrino said that I should sit and talk to him often, so that's what I do. Every week I give him Cuban coffee and a new candle and we share my favorite candies.

Chango is my father. I don't honor him as often as I should. Red apples and candles presented to St. Barbara are what I grew up doing, so it's what I keep doing.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;31895
That makes sense. I feel kinda dumb since I couldn't figure it out on my own. :o Thanks, Steph.

I only know from when I used to hang around with Nick, who's a Santero.

-Robert Burns

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;31933
I only know from when I used to hang around with Nick, who's a Santero.

You still knew more than me. :D:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:38:16 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;31841
I honor Oya too.  

Is this the website you mean?   http://www.rootsandrooted.org/?p=53

I know - waybackwhen (back in the Beehive days, I think) you sent me a copy of your Oya and Oshun paper.

I don't think so - I did find that site when I was searching for the other one, but either it's a different site, or else the article I originally read has been taken down.  (Or, possibly, my recollection of the first article is faultier than I think.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

WanderingWaters2011

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:37 pm »

1) Who do you honor?

Well, being Lukumi or of the Santeria Religion, I basically honor all the Orisha known in that pantheon..Ellegua, Chango, Ogun, Oya, Ayao, Yemaya, Orisha-Oko, Olokun, Ochosi, Babalu-Aiye, the Ibeyi, Orunmila, among others.  My mother is Oshun and my Padrino's Orisha is Obatala so I perhaps have a particular fondness for these two. I also like Oshumare who is not really Lukumi at all.

I honor Them by wearing the Elekes, tending to the Warriors, attending Bembes/Tambors and participating in Ile activities and events and listening to whatever counsel they choose to give thru Divination or thru Their Eleguns (one who can horse them). I also go to the river sometimes and may leave a small offering or just talk and reflect quietly on the day.

Not being Crowned yet, I do not have much in my apartment of Orisha beyond the Warriors and Elekes. Permanent altars to the Orisha are not really used in my Ile before one is Crowned unless you have received One especially. Bembes/Tambors and attending to elders' Orishas as well as assisting where I can in the rituals is mostly what I do at this point.

I basically liked all the books SatAset referenced in this thread. I do not think Baba Raul Canizares is far off in his info in his Oya book but he most definitely was doing his own thing when he was alive as far as Orisha practice and not always with approving looks from others in the Orisha community. Mason's books I really like. I personally see Ellegua, Eshu and Papa Legba as all distinctly different and some in the Orisha community might question pouring water over a stone with a nail in it  outside of an ATR/ADR context but I like hearing how others honor Orisha in any spiritual context, personally.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:33 am »
Quote from: WanderingWaters2011;32134

I basically liked all the books SatAset referenced in this thread. I do not think Baba Raul Canizares is far off in his info in his Oya book but he most definitely was doing his own thing when he was alive as far as Orisha practice and not always with approving looks from others in the Orisha community. Mason's books I really like. I personally see Ellegua, Eshu and Papa Legba as all distinctly different and some in the Orisha community might question pouring water over a stone with a nail in it  outside of an ATR/ADR context but I like hearing how others honor Orisha in any spiritual context, personally.

I asked for advice from a fellow on this forum who was doing some form of ADR the name of which I can't recall. andhe was the one who told me about the stone and nail and sprinkling fresh water. *so I try to do that* LOL
thanks for being open! when a spirit tickles you or pokes you with their presence,you gotta run with it yknow?

but me personally ,nothing I do is officially this that or the other worship style ,format or organisation. I just add to my own thing as I go,as it seems to fit and work.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Orisha
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:24 am »
Quote from: spoOk;32159
I asked for advice from a fellow on this forum who was doing some form of ADR the name of which I can't recall. andhe was the one who told me about the stone and nail and sprinkling fresh water. *so I try to do that* LOL
thanks for being open! when a spirit tickles you or pokes you with their presence,you gotta run with it yknow?

but me personally ,nothing I do is officially this that or the other worship style ,format or organisation. I just add to my own thing as I go,as it seems to fit and work.

I think that may have been Nick. He left the forum some time ago, back when he and I were still in contact. I know that's something that was part of his practice.

-Robert Burns

Tags: