Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Two Paths: Norse and Hellenic?  (Read 10632 times)

Gwiazda

• View Profile
Two Paths: Norse and Hellenic?
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:47:51 pm »
So this is the question that's been bugging me. I don't really have anyone else I can talk to about it, so I hope someone can help me!
I've been a Hellenist for the past two and a half years. Before that, I was a questioning teenager, and I didn't really know what to do with my life and my religious beliefs. At the time I was searching, I was terrified of end-of-the-world tales. Just thinking about it got me depressed, so I shyed away from anything that had a mention of the end of the world.
Because of that, I think I missed out on something amazing. I chose Hellenism, because I had had a strong connection and love for their mythology as a child, AND they didn't have an 'end of the world' myth. I've now heard of the version of the Fifth Age of Humans may one day end because we will prove to Zeus that we are not fit to exist on this earth anymore, but that's a far cry from the fiery destruction I'd heard of before.
But as I was searching, I fell in love with Norse mythology. My heritage is mostly from that part of the world, though it is far back. I loved it, believed it--but then my fear of the end of the world came in and took it away when I read about Ragnarok.
Now today, I feel like I should go through it all again, and possibly give up Hellenism for this, to go back to the Norse Gods and Goddesses. But then I feel bad for searching when the Greek Gods and Goddesses have taken care of me for the past years. I desperately need some help (and I'm sorry for rambling on like I have), and I don't know what to do about it. So...any advice?? :confused:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:13:23 pm by RandallS »

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Help??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »
Quote from: Gwiazda;1591
So...any advice?? :confused:

Why can't you walk two paths at the same time?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »
Quote from: Devo;1594
Why can't you walk two paths at the same time?

-Devo

I agree with Devo - unless asked to by your deities or unless you're seeking an exclusive priesthood position, there's little reason for you to have to pick one or the other. You can certainly honor and worship the Aesir/Vanir without having to drop the Theoi at the curb. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Paths: Norse and Hellenic?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:53:39 pm »
So this is the question that's been bugging me. I don't really have anyone else I can talk to about it, so I hope someone can help me!
I've been a Hellenist for the past two and a half years. Before that, I was a questioning teenager, and I didn't really know what to do with my life and my religious beliefs. At the time I was searching, I was terrified of end-of-the-world tales. Just thinking about it got me depressed, so I shyed away from anything that had a mention of the end of the world.
Because of that, I think I missed out on something amazing. I chose Hellenism, because I had had a strong connection and love for their mythology as a child, AND they didn't have an 'end of the world' myth. I've now heard of the version of the Fifth Age of Humans may one day end because we will prove to Zeus that we are not fit to exist on this earth anymore, but that's a far cry from the fiery destruction I'd heard of before.
But as I was searching, I fell in love with Norse mythology. My heritage is mostly from that part of the world, though it is far back. I loved it, believed it--but then my fear of the end of the world came in and took it away when I read about Ragnarok.
Now today, I feel like I should go through it all again, and possibly give up Hellenism for this, to go back to the Norse Gods and Goddesses. But then I feel bad for searching when the Greek Gods and Goddesses have taken care of me for the past years. I desperately need some help (and I'm sorry for rambling on like I have), and I don't know what to do about it. So...any advice?? :confused:

There is a history of mingled cults between the roman-celts- germanics (ex matronae voice stones). I'd suggest doing some research in that area and seeing how the different cultures influenced, and ultimately, reconciled with one another.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Astani

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:04 am »
So...any advice??

You don't have to give up Hellenism. You could do what the Romans did and identify the Norse gods with those of their pantheon. For example, Odin is identified as Mercury who is identified as Hermes. In a sense, you already are worshiping a Norse god just under Hellenic name and myth.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:57:02 am by Astani »

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »
Quote from: Astani;1842
You don't have to give up Hellenism. You could do what the Romans did and identify the Norse gods with those of their pantheon. For example, Odin is identified as Mercury who is identified as Hermes. In a sense, you already are worshiping a Norse god just under Hellenic name and myth.

...That's one way to see it.

I'm of the opinion that the gods are not one and the same with each other. Though the Germanic gods were identified with the Roman gods baaed on function, the comparison didn't take into account familial relationships, origin myths, etc.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »
Quote from: Astani;1842
You could do what the Romans did and identify the Norse gods with those of their pantheon.

You could do a lot of things... doesn't mean you should.

To the OP, you seem clearly interested in worshipping the Norse gods as the Norse gods. In that case, I say go for it.

And don't feel guilty or something about stepping away from the Hellenic pantheon. Everyone grows and changes; nothing is static. And even if you aren't actively working with them, that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge them from time to time in whatever else you do.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 02:20:26 am »
Quote from: Sage;1646
I agree with Devo - unless asked to by your deities or unless you're seeking an exclusive priesthood position, there's little reason for you to have to pick one or the other. You can certainly honor and worship the Aesir/Vanir without having to drop the Theoi at the curb. :)

This.

There's not much of a reason to drop the Theoi. So long as you properly honor both pantheons and receive no complaints from either side - go for it I say.

It's perfectly normal to drift in terms of focus as we walk our path through life, and the gods understand that, or so I think they do.
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »

I personally see nothing wrong with worshiping gods from both pantheons. I, myself have been known to do this. I was Hellenic first, too. Then I discovered the Norse gods. I have no Greek ancestry at all, but I'm almost entirely Germanic. It's said that if you have a blood connection to the culture that used to worship these gods, that it will be easier to work magick and/or forge a connection with them.
Conformity is the death of individualism

Gwiazda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:28 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;2147
You could do a lot of things... doesn't mean you should.

To the OP, you seem clearly interested in worshipping the Norse gods as the Norse gods. In that case, I say go for it.

And don't feel guilty or something about stepping away from the Hellenic pantheon. Everyone grows and changes; nothing is static. And even if you aren't actively working with them, that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge them from time to time in whatever else you do.

Thank you so much!! Your reply is really helpful to me---I don't think, nor do I want, to try and work with the two paths, Hellenist and Nordic all at once. This sounds best, so thank you, again!

Gwiazda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:40 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;2597
I personally see nothing wrong with worshiping gods from both pantheons. I, myself have been known to do this. I was Hellenic first, too. Then I discovered the Norse gods. I have no Greek ancestry at all, but I'm almost entirely Germanic. It's said that if you have a blood connection to the culture that used to worship these gods, that it will be easier to work magick and/or forge a connection with them.

I'm the same here, too, almost entirely Germanic, with a bit of Scots-Irish, and no Greek heritage at all. I've heard that before, on a site for Asatru (though it wasn't for magic, it was more along the lines of being already connected, and the religion would better fit me than any other). I think I'm going to try and connect more with the Norse Gods and Goddesses for now, and see if it's something that rings true. Thank you for your response! :)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »
Quote from: Gwiazda;2755
I'm the same here, too, almost entirely Germanic, with a bit of Scots-Irish, and no Greek heritage at all. I've heard that before, on a site for Asatru (though it wasn't for magic, it was more along the lines of being already connected, and the religion would better fit me than any other). I think I'm going to try and connect more with the Norse Gods and Goddesses for now, and see if it's something that rings true. Thank you for your response! :)

Cool!! Good luck to you! I will mention you next time I see the Old Man.
:)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Tags: