Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Tarot and Energy Problems.  (Read 4879 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Tarot and Energy Problems.
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:44 pm »
I've done ten readings in the last two days. I'm kind of practicing for utilizing Tarot readings as a quasi-business adventure. (I'm not sure if I want to do that, actually, but I figure practice makes perfect, eh?) Anyway. Yesterday, after the first batch of five, I found myself exceedingly exhausted. I mean, to the point where I ended up in bed by seven o'clock last night. This is entirely unheard of in my house: I'm a ten o'clock to bed kind of person.

Today, I finished up the last five readings and found myself pooped again. I wasn't as exhausted as yesterday, but still felt like I could take a nap for an hour or three.

I've done 'mass' readings before when I was in college (and thereby younger) so I didn't think that the readings or the number of them would impact me as much as they have. It's a little daunting to see this happening since, as I mentioned, I think I might try and do this professionally in the not-too-distant future.

Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong? Devo had mentioned that perhaps I was putting too much of myself into the readings, but I don't see how. My basic premise is shuffle, shuffle with the name/image of the querant in mind, and then get down to the reading. Since that's the gist of it, what the heck can I be doing that's sapping me so much?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
Re: Tarot and Energy Problems.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30217
Since that's the gist of it, what the heck can I be doing that's sapping me so much?

Think of it this way: every time you do a reading, you're picking up a 2 lb. weight. Its not a lot. When you were in college, you could do it all day. But after a long period of occasional readings, suddenly you're picking up that weight, putting it down, picking it up over and over and over again. It may not seem like a lot, but the repetition accumulates and fatigue sets in. With practice it'll be easy again. You'll build strength and stamina. But until then you're gonna run out of juice if you aren't careful.

Make sense?
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;30235
Think of it this way: every time you do a reading, you're picking up a 2 lb. weight. Its not a lot. When you were in college, you could do it all day. But after a long period of occasional readings, suddenly you're picking up that weight, putting it down, picking it up over and over and over again. It may not seem like a lot, but the repetition accumulates and fatigue sets in. With practice it'll be easy again. You'll build strength and stamina. But until then you're gonna run out of juice if you aren't careful.

Make sense?

Much sense.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:25:11 am »
Today, I finished up the last five readings and found myself pooped again. I wasn't as exhausted as yesterday, but still felt like I could take a nap for an hour or three.

Reading takes energy -- that can be a lot of energy if you are a "psychic reader" type.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:33 am »
Quote from: RandallS;30285
Reading takes energy -- that can be a lot of energy if you are a "psychic reader" type.

Besides practice, anything you can recommend so that I won't feel instant need to pass out right after?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:35:17 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30287
Besides practice, anything you can recommend so that I won't feel instant need to pass out right after?

As I'm not psychic at all, I have never had the problem. You might try doing something like mediating for at least 5 minutes between readings.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:53 am »
Quote from: RandallS;30294
As I'm not psychic at all, I have never had the problem. You might try doing something like mediating for at least 5 minutes between readings.

Ah. Meditating. The bane of my (spiritual) existence. I'll try that, though, as best I can.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:15:34 am »

I think too, you've done too much.
If I can do three readings a day, that still make sense, I consider that a good Madame-Zelda-Day. ;)

Psychic work is exhausting. My tipps:
drink water, lots of it
find out if you are a protein or carb type and take snacks in between (nuts are a good choice usually)

Oh and a generally good advice: physical exercise aka sports (I know...)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:32:45 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;30287

I use up physical energy when I read too.  I don't know how you are planning on organizing your readings, but I can tell you what has (more or less) worked for me.

Tarot Parties:  No more than ten guests plus the host.  Only light reading, surface questions.  Anyone who wants to go more in depth can make a private appointment.  I justify this by a:  putting on a bit of a 'fortuneteller show', since I'm usually there at least partly as entertainment, and b: having lower prices than for private readings.

Open Days:  I can't control the number of people, but I can limit them to one question each.  Most people use these days as a sampler, so they know whether they want to have me read for them more deeply or not.  My price reflects this:  since it is a getting to know you business thing, and a once or twice a year community thing.  I generally resign myself to the exhaustion - I try not to close early unless I'm actually punchy, but I reserve the next couple of days for recovery.

Private Clients:  I can't imagine doing five of these in a day.  Two or three is my limit, in order to give proper attention to each.  Since I've never gone the storefront route I never had to worry about sudden rushes.  Each client is by appointment, I set a couple of hours at least for a proper session, and while I don't eat before or during I have a pretty substantial meal afterward.

Tiredness is something you run into no matter what you do.  When I worked retail I would go home and soak my feet, when I did office work I would go home and rest my brain, when I worked on a farm I would collapse as soon as I could.  It's not something I made a big contingency plan for in any occupation, I just tried to make sure I got rest in between bursts of activity.

One thing, if you're planning on doing phone or net readings don't expect to be less tired.  I did an experiment on TC a few years ago, to determine if I was any good at online reading.  I threw it open to all comers and was a bit shocked in a week or so when I started falling apart from the effort.  I don't think I ran the experiment for much more than a month, and I learned that I would have to apply the same rules to distance reading as I do to meat reading.  There is no significant difference in the energy used if you are putting the same integrity into the readings.

Absent
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:33:32 am by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
Quote from: Tana;30310
... My tipps:
drink water, lots of it
find out if you are a protein or carb type and take snacks in between (nuts are a good choice usually)

Oh and a generally good advice: physical exercise aka sports (I know...)

I like your tips and it's funny that you mention them: I grabbed a bottle of water (which is so not my first choice in drinks) while I was doing it without thinking. I also started munching down on sunflower seeds in the middle of said readings, as well. And I've been walking like a fiend lately. So, all in all, I was following your tips without knowing them. :D:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30312
I use up physical energy when I read too.  I don't know how you are planning on organizing your readings, but I can tell you what has (more or less) worked for me.

Tarot Parties:  No more than ten guests plus the host.  Only light reading, surface questions.  Anyone who wants to go more in depth can make a private appointment.  I justify this by a:  putting on a bit of a 'fortuneteller show', since I'm usually there at least partly as entertainment, and b: having lower prices than for private readings.

Open Days:  I can't control the number of people, but I can limit them to one question each.  Most people use these days as a sampler, so they know whether they want to have me read for them more deeply or not.  My price reflects this:  since it is a getting to know you business thing, and a once or twice a year community thing.  I generally resign myself to the exhaustion - I try not to close early unless I'm actually punchy, but I reserve the next couple of days for recovery.

Private Clients:  I can't imagine doing five of these in a day.  Two or three is my limit, in order to give proper attention to each.  Since I've never gone the storefront route I never had to worry about sudden rushes.  Each client is by appointment, I set a couple of hours at least for a proper session, and while I don't eat before or during I have a pretty substantial meal afterward.

Tiredness is something you run into no matter what you do.  When I worked retail I would go home and soak my feet, when I did office work I would go home and rest my brain, when I worked on a farm I would collapse as soon as I could.  It's not something I made a big contingency plan for in any occupation, I just tried to make sure I got rest in between bursts of activity.

One thing, if you're planning on doing phone or net readings don't expect to be less tired.  I did an experiment on TC a few years ago, to determine if I was any good at online reading.  I threw it open to all comers and was a bit shocked in a week or so when I started falling apart from the effort.  I don't think I ran the experiment for much more than a month, and I learned that I would have to apply the same rules to distance reading as I do to meat reading.  There is no significant difference in the energy used if you are putting the same integrity into the readings.

Absent

This makes complete sense, especially about the various occupations you worked.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30312
I did an experiment on TC a few years ago, to determine if I was any good at online reading.  I threw it open to all comers and was a bit shocked in a week or so when I started falling apart from the effort.  I don't think I ran the experiment for much more than a month, and I learned that I would have to apply the same rules to distance reading as I do to meat reading.  There is no significant difference in the energy used if you are putting the same integrity into the readings.

I remember when you did that. I also remember not being surprised when you stopped doing it. :)
Randall

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;30400
I remember when you did that. I also remember not being surprised when you stopped doing it. :)

I never did remember to copy that thread to my home files.  Is the archive board ever likely to come back?

Absent

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30406
I never did remember to copy that thread to my home files.  Is the archive board ever likely to come back?

Absent

I mean the last Beehive board.  2006?

Absent

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;30406

Probably not as the old Beehive Boards do not work with modern versions of PHP. Updating them is next to impossible as you have to update by installing each new version in order no matter how minor and most updates do not work well. I tried this once and the board was totally borked by the third of the 10-12 updates it needed.
Randall

Tags: