collapse

Author Topic: Divine Communication.  (Read 11260 times)

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Divine Communication.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 03:18:32 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;27859

I've never considered a lack of communication due to timing. I don't have deities that are specific to seasonal change, so perhaps that's it. However, I do find it more difficult to get a long-term conversation going with either Sekhmet or Hwt-Hrw in the winter time here as opposed to spring and summer. This, however, could also be due to my SAD. It negatively impacts everything. :mad:

That makes perfect sense to me.  Sekhmet-Hethert leave at that time and then come back later.  Her myth explains the sun's cycle.  

Your post about Papa Legba made me think of Lent.  Isn't that a break for honoring the lwa?
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 02:52:05 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;27878

This is where I run into problems discussing these issues: Is Draw-Down work even compatible with heathenry? Normally I tend to avoid topics where its irrelevant and incompatible but in this case the blogger specifically mentions the Germanic gods and the traditions that draw from that.

And its also where I personally hit a wall of confusion. Its often stated that paganism is not a religion in itself but then there are topics like this where experience and relationships and interactions become a one size fits all phenomenon. Which isn't directed at you, Jenett, as I know you're only speaking from your perspective . But it is something I see the blogger doing.

Its generic. Religion and culture aren't generic. Just because an Egyptian god speaks to a follower doesn't mean that Thor is going to speak to you if you're talented wait, try, or gift long enough.

I think that is partly my issue. Paganism is just very vast and includes alot of different ideas, thoughts, views of deity even.

I communicate with the Goddess almost everday. But is it the same type of communication someone else may experience?

I don't exactly agree with the blog post. I honestly think (and this is ofcourse just my opinion) that those who find a hard time getting their deity to communicate may be that perhaps they have not yet decided fully how they view the gods. Or that many just do not yet feel comfortable. That they might feel silly or unsure of what to expect so they aren't ready to listen. Like someone mentioned Christianity praying. If they were used to that but now unsure if that is how their Deity would communicate but still have that in their head it may be hard for them.

Also sometimes I can sit outside praying and feel the wind blow and feel/know that the Goddess is there but when I first started I may have dismissed it as just the wind lol or not even noticed.

It takes on a whole issue of how people view deity differently hard polytheists vs soft or pantheists even.

I think it is a sad thought if it were impossible for someone people to ever communicate with the gods. For me that doesn't seem possible. I would think it may not be the right time for you or that you are not ready or that you expect one type of communication instead of opening yourself up to others.

Either way people will feel that either the gods are ignoring them or they are doing something wrong when I don't think necessarily either are true.
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

2greyhounds

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Divine Communication.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
sorry tried to put partial quote in and it did not show up also unable to delete my post i will put the quot in next post
sorry!
Quote from:

Basically I think some of us trained into thinking we're special snowflakes by our culture regarding a loving omniscient omnipotent god that loves us individually without end. Whereas most pagan deities have their specific spheres of influence and while they probably don't wish us malice aren't necessarily interested in us to any extent unless we make an effort to be noticed (Sacrifice, prayer etc) and even then it seems to be/have been more purpose driven than the relationship with the Christian God.

Or I'm just rambling again... ;)[/QUOTE
No not rambling at least not to me...
I totally agree with everything you say- at least from my experience. I see God as above everything and the gods and spirits and spirit guides as more between us and God with a certian agenda and personality. Of course this is a new belief and as i always say I am constantly learning and growing everyday!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:33:28 pm by 2greyhounds »

2greyhounds

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Divine Communication.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 03:36:31 pm »
Quote from: Asch;28322
*stretches hands on keyboard* ahhhh much better.

I think what I'm getting at is not necessarily direct communication so much as being pulled/guided by the holy spirit or filled with gods love etc. In the more charismatic churches/groups I have experience with people often and unselfconsciously spoke of being pulled or guided by the spirit, feeling the spirit etc. I think this direct interaction has become a sort of subconscious pulse in our (Western / American) culture regarding religion and deity in some respects. Perhaps it is this direct contact etc that leaves so many of us seeking the same from our deities now. If that makes sense.

Basically I think some of us trained into thinking we're special snowflakes by our culture regarding a loving omniscient omnipotent god that loves us individually without end. Whereas most pagan deities have their specific spheres of influence and while they probably don't wish us malice aren't necessarily interested in us to any extent unless we make an effort to be noticed (Sacrifice, prayer etc) and even then it seems to be/have been more purpose driven than the relationship with the Christian God.

Or I'm just rambling again... ;)

here is quote for above post. i was tring to quote only the second paragraph sorry i am  technically challenged- but am trying

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;29388
Your post about Papa Legba made me think of Lent.  Isn't that a break for honoring the lwa?

As far as I know, there is never a break unless they want us to have one.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:56 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;29452
As far as I know, there is never a break unless they want us to have one.

I've heard from Vodouisaints who practice Haitian Vodou that during Lent you don't honor the lwa.  

But that may not be true of some Houses or New Orleans Vodou, etc.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;29461
I've heard from Vodouisaints who practice Haitian Vodou that during Lent you don't honor the lwa.  

But that may not be true of some Houses or New Orleans Vodou, etc.

I don't know, honestly. I've read two or three books about it, but I've never come across that before. My area is distinctly not-Haitian in any way or form so it's not like I could ask, either. Plus, if I did ask, I'd probably be met with derision so... Heh.

I guess we'll see what happens to Papa Legba during that time?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 04:19:07 pm »
Quote from: Asch;27883
I have to say I've been reading along and really enjoy everyone's input especially the different perspectives offered by Jenett and JB. I don't have much to contribute

I'm in this boat. Fascinating discussion :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 06:28:09 am »
Quote from: Asch;28026
*lied*

It occurred to me while stocking some stuff @ work, (incidentally where I still am -damn you slow delivery guy!) the the direct interaction with deity that many of us seek *puts up hand* may be a partial indirect result of a cultural bleed-through /carry over from the 'norm' where direct interaction/prayers with the Christian God/Saints is (sometimes/often?) accepted to result in direct communication. Know what I mean?

Or not. *ponders*

I see what you mean but i don't really think Christianism has any influence here. I was raised Catholic, anf cathechism as mass always made a big point of 'you shall not challenge/ask to God to manifest Himself'.

You were supposed to pray and accept that God listened and chose for the best, regardless of the appeareances - spiritual revelations are in Cristianity for a few chosen and even those are accepted only after being tested by the church.

I believe that, if anything, the opening of a direct comunication with gods was more consistently part of pre-cristian religions.

Think of the pilgrimages to Eleusys, where devotees came to experience the Mysteries, other mysteric cults of all over the world, the Delphic Oracle.

Pagan religions of the past, while didn't cultivate the belief that gods were always full of love toward everyone, certainly seemed to take for granted that gods were open to personal communication with their devotees.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;27630
What's your take on all of this?

I only skimmed the first part of the post, but coming from the background that I do, with the label that I've taken up, I find it interesting and it raises all sorts of questions that will provide me with good brain-workouts for some time, I think!

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to muse aloud for a little bit... JuniperBerry, you've always has some good, thought-provoking things to say, and back when I lurked around the old forum, it was always a pleasant surprise to find your posts. Your take on personal relationships with deity really made me think, as I've been going through a mild spiritual crisis over the past few months about having gone my entire life without ever feeling the presence of a god, so I took up the mantle of deist a number of years ago in reaction to that. There are things greater than us out there I know for sure, and things we cannot begin to conceive of at work, so I consider that part of the cosmic "mechanism" bit. We can only know part of the machine, etc.

Things that others would consider to be much lower on the scale to gods, like spirits and stuff, I'm a great deal more sensitive to. They're part of the machine.

Lately, however, I've been pretty distressed over the intense urge to adopt a spiritual worldview that can work within my deism, and enrich it. Unfortunately, the worldviews I'm most attracted to are of the ancient variety, and those usually demand some degree of polytheism in order to seriously consider. Back when I was theist--at first a Christian and then a Kemetic and Celtic-inspired polytheist--it was nothing but radio silence since day one. 16 years of that was upsetting, and having a lousy relationship with the Christian god was what drove me to paganism and wicca in the first place. Though that's not to say that path wasn't at all rewarding, because I'm still here, but the whole god thing really got to me, and bad. So in order to stop fretting over it, I completely rewrote my definition of what god was. I know there is something there, but the entirety my experience has been one of non-communication and non-concern.

Coming back to this need for a worldview, I've been gorging myself on pre-columbian Mayan art, culture, and philosophy for the past year. So my dilemma was that I was very much getting the urge to bring more of that into my day to day life somehow. But how could I do that without believing in the gods as, well, gods? Well, JP really hit it home with her posts in this thread, really. I know that she's polytheistic (you're polytheistic, right?), and believes in the gods as they are, and as they were 'back in the day', despite not ever having been spoken to. It didn't really occur to me that it the two could be mutually exclusive, but it's a very comforting thought, and one I'll be mulling over for a good long while.

I understand that my commitment to deism could be contributing to my disconnected "god-phone", but I've got to make the decision to be okay with that or not. And I think for now, I'm going to try and make it work before I go turning my world upside down again by deciding I want give belief in personal gods another go.

Anyways, wow that was a lot of typing. Sorry... :B

I posted something similar to this over at the Aztec recon yahoo group, but I get the impression that they have a distinct lack of interest in undecideds like me.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:59 pm »
Quote from: Maps;32745

Your take on personal relationships with deity really made me think, as I've been going through a mild spiritual crisis over the past few months about having gone my entire life without ever feeling the presence of a god, so I took up the mantle of deist a number of years ago in reaction to that.

Thanks. Its nice to know that I'm not just rambling to myself all the time.  So I'll ramble again. :)

Heathenry made me question , for myself, why I desired a personal relationship. Speaking of what I know, its important in Christianity because that's the goal: develop a relationship with Christ the Lord and return to him at his mercy. But...is that even relevant to my spirituality? What does having a personal, communicative relationship accomplish for me?

In alternative religious communities I see a lot of worshippers whose communication with deity can usually (not always) be  defined in two ways: either the god communicates to them methods for self-help therapy or the god communicates ways in which they want to be worshipped/honored. How do I feel about those two things? Do I need the gods to develop me into a better human being and for what purpose? And what is really the point of traditional customs and worship?

Firstly,  I don't feel like I need the gods assistance in being human. I'm flawed, always will be. I can take my cues from society, from my loved ones, and from my personal insights to navigate how I experience the world. Regardless, I will suffer, I will mess up, subconscious motivators will influence my life and most of all-- I will die. Death, IMO, is the crux of most worship. It was for me, at least.

79 trillion people have come and gone. Everyone before has died no matter if they were religious, famous, poor or a criminal. The fear of death causes us to either live life to its fullest or to hide from life and its dangers. Doesn't really matter what you worship, how you live, or what you accomplished. You're going to die. Communicating with the divine doesn't stop this, though it may give you hope that there's something afterwards. Communicating with the gods may make living more enjoyable, and if that's the goal, does it matter if Thor literally tells you he wants pickles on Friday or is it just as worthwhile to give an offering and experience favor/good living in return? Silence may not be as comforting as hearing that there's something out there, but for me, I enjoy seeing the manifestation of a reciprocal relationship in my life and it makes spoken communication unnecessary.

Secondly, I also don't feel that I need the gods to tell me what they want. Worship isn't universal, obviously, so what would be the point of telling me to worship one way and telling Fred from down the streer another? Is it customized to our needs and if so, why? Do the gods have some altruistic motive in having me bathe on Sundays and Fred singing on Wednesday? Is it to spiritually enlighten us in god-tailored ways? I don't think so. Its pretty simple to me, the gods don't care if we worship them or not. Freyr doesn't pout and stop sparking fertility because you aren't giving him attention. But, leave him something awesome and you'll get his attention and that's a 'blessing'. I leave him something according to the customs I appreciate, in the traditions of my history, because I invite him and give him honor through offering him the sacred in *my* life.

And I do these things because they're there regardless. Odin leads the wild hunt,  not because of me but because he does, so I leave oats when I know he's passing. At spring I know Freyr moves through...its me in their world. Not them in mine. Because this is how I see it, I don't need vocal confirmation that they're in 'my' reality.

Grimm postulates that the one-eyed God is the single sun and that that star is the eye of god watching us. If I just take a quiet moment and concentrate on the idea, that Right.Now the eye of god is above me and I absorb the depth of that presence, then I don't need any type of personal and emotional relationship. Same thing with Tiw, and taking into consideration that he is the daylight covering earth, that he's the light seeping through my windows into my home. This existence, that we all live and die within, is present. That presence is all the communication I need.

If 79 trillion people have died then I truly doubt I will join my gods and sit at their right hand and be their best friend. And I'm fine with that. Take me home to my dead. They don't care if I'm flawed or unenlightened. I loved them and I remembered them and I kept our history alive. I'll go behind the scenes like everyone else and the gods will continue working upon the world for those I left behind. Fertility will continue, the sun will rise, and love will blossom. Those are the gods (you and I certainly didn't create those things), and I don't need them to speak to me to enjoy them and experience them.  And I do; the gods are very real to me.

The dead and spirits might chose to guide me, advise me and influence me. It'll be in their language, and I feel I would need to relearn that, through folklore and wives tales etc, instead of intuitively speaking it. The gods may chose to personally address me- but if they do- it'll be for something extremely drastic and that's not really something I want. ;)... And there is some similarity in knowing how to speak the language of the deads' 'voice' and divine communication. But I do tend to distrust those who immediately claim to hear the actual voices of gods.

(Course, since I don't communicate with the gods, I can't know the depth and framework in which it takes place. I just have some ideas on the alternative.)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 07:22:37 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;33326
Thanks. Its nice to know that I'm not just rambling to myself all the time.  So I'll ramble again. :)

Heathenry made me question , for myself, why I desired a personal relationship. Speaking of what I know, its important in Christianity because that's the goal: develop a relationship with Christ the Lord and return to him at his mercy. But...is that even relevant to my spirituality? What does having a personal, communicative relationship accomplish for me?

In alternative religious communities I see a lot of worshippers whose communication with deity can usually (not always) be  defined in two ways: either the god communicates to them methods for self-help therapy or the god communicates ways in which they want to be worshipped/honored. How do I feel about those two things? Do I need the gods to develop me into a better human being and for what purpose? And what is really the point of traditional customs and worship?

Even if you were very politically correct about it, I cringe a little at the idea of reducing human-divine comunication to those terms.

'Selfhelp' is not how i would define the kind of advice i receive from my friends or family when i am in some flavor of personal trouble. Relationship with gods are still relationships, even if They remain on an higher level than we are. The guidance you receive from above when you open a bi-directional communication of type mentor-mentoree/master_servant/teacher-student is meant to push you toward your full potential... and that full potential is what They appreciate counting on when Gods decide that it's time for you to do their work.

While self-improvement is, i suppose, a requirement of service, and personalize offerings are useful to strenghten the relationship, communication with a patron eventually  becomes much more than that - it is almost priesthood on a small scale... you understand the principle of that deity and let it to live in you. You become the work you do for your god or goddess and you spread it in the world. Everything that comes before that is, in my experience at least, preparation.

I am not saying this is true for everyone, as i have no means to be certain of that, but it's true for many . It's not what every pagan would desire for themselves, as not every pagan or christian has the inclination toward Religious Service.... but...i think you see my point.

I stop now before i start talking myself in circles. I hope i explained it clearly enough.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:03:44 am by SunflowerP »
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 01:42:26 pm »

Yeah, I think it's a very hard question to ask yourself coming from such a background. When I was a kid and pre-teen, the emphasis was very much on having a personal relationship with god. "Talking with" god, or "listening to" god were all totally normal things that every good Christian should do on a regular basis, and if you didn't then you weren't doing a very good job. I would LIKE to say that sentiment didn't affect me? But it probably did... add to that all the fluffy Wicca books I read during my first few teenage years just out of Christian-dom that also heavily emphasized the personal/patron deity thing, and frequently worded themselves to sound like patrons were absolutely necessary, it probably made me pretty anxious.

I think I'm still coming from that place of wanting for the sake of wanting... keeping up with the Joneses, almost. Because when I go in to analyze the feeling, I find that there really isn't much more to it than that anxiety and insecurity. What would it accomplish for me? In all honesty, I can't see it genuinely enriching my life in ways that others claim it does for them.

Firstly,  I don't feel like I need the gods assistance in being human. I'm flawed, always will be. I can take my cues from society, from my loved ones, and from my personal insights to navigate how I experience the world. Regardless, I will suffer, I will mess up, subconscious motivators will influence my life and most of all-- I will die. Death, IMO, is the crux of most worship. It was for me, at least.

That is exactly how I feel.

Death... not so much. I don't seem to worry much about afterlife things. I'm interested in knowing what may be beyond, but most of my fears and concerns lie with the 'unfinished business' cliche. Leaving a graphic novel or illustration series incomplete is my greatest fear.

79 trillion people have come and gone. Everyone before has died no matter if they were religious, famous, poor or a criminal. The fear of death causes us to either live life to its fullest or to hide from life and its dangers. Doesn't really matter what you worship, how you live, or what you accomplished. You're going to die. Communicating with the divine doesn't stop this, though it may give you hope that there's something afterwards. Communicating with the gods may make living more enjoyable, and if that's the goal, does it matter if Thor literally tells you he wants pickles on Friday or is it just as worthwhile to give an offering and experience favor/good living in return? Silence may not be as comforting as hearing that there's something out there, but for me, I enjoy seeing the manifestation of a reciprocal relationship in my life and it makes spoken communication unnecessary.

Haha, maybe that's the lesson I need to learn: stop being so damn needy. Just need to teach myself that a relationship isn't guaranteed or necessary or even "better", but rather just is... I think that's a good long term self-help kind of goal I can get behind! Note to self: stop being so butthurt.

And I do these things because they're there regardless. Odin leads the wild hunt,  not because of me but because he does, so I leave oats when I know he's passing. At spring I know Freyr moves through...its me in their world. Not them in mine. Because this is how I see it, I don't need vocal confirmation that they're in 'my' reality.

Grimm postulates that the one-eyed God is the single sun and that that star is the eye of god watching us. If I just take a quiet moment and concentrate on the idea, that Right.Now the eye of god is above me and I absorb the depth of that presence, then I don't need any type of personal and emotional relationship. Same thing with Tiw, and taking into consideration that he is the daylight covering earth, that he's the light seeping through my windows into my home. This existence, that we all live and die within, is present. That presence is all the communication I need.

If 79 trillion people have died then I truly doubt I will join my gods and sit at their right hand and be their best friend. And I'm fine with that. Take me home to my dead. They don't care if I'm flawed or unenlightened. I loved them and I remembered them and I kept our history alive. I'll go behind the scenes like everyone else and the gods will continue working upon the world for those I left behind. Fertility will continue, the sun will rise, and love will blossom. Those are the gods (you and I certainly didn't create those things), and I don't need them to speak to me to enjoy them and experience them.  And I do; the gods are very real to me.

The dead and spirits might chose to guide me, advise me and influence me. It'll be in their language, and I feel I would need to relearn that, through folklore and wives tales etc, instead of intuitively speaking it. The gods may chose to personally address me- but if they do- it'll be for something extremely drastic and that's not really something I want. ;)... And there is some similarity in knowing how to speak the language of the deads' 'voice' and divine communication. But I do tend to distrust those who immediately claim to hear the actual voices of gods.

(Course, since I don't communicate with the gods, I can't know the depth and framework in which it takes place. I just have some ideas on the alternative.)

Love it! Lots and lots of points that hit home for me. And wow, that whole post almost makes me want to pursue Heathenry more than any other religion I've ever looked into. You've got a skill, lady. ;P

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
Quote from: Maps;33525
But it probably did... add to that all the fluffy Wicca books I read during my first few teenage years just out of Christian-dom that also heavily emphasized the personal/patron deity thing, and frequently worded themselves to sound like patrons were absolutely necessary, it probably made me pretty anxious.

Yeah, I don't really understand the patron concept myself. What's the point of being polytheistic if you're just going to devote yourself to one deity? With a varied pantheon I can address the deity specific to my needs, and since I'm a multi-faceted and complicated person I can't imagine boxing myself in to one patron. It also seems sort of...impossible to say that that one singular deity is the one that can really influence or interact with me. I figure the gods don't really give a **** if I like Thor best or not. They'll do what they do.

I think I'm still coming from that place of wanting for the sake of wanting... keeping up with the Joneses, almost. Because when I go in to analyze the feeling, I find that there really isn't much more to it than that anxiety and insecurity. What would it accomplish for me? In all honesty, I can't see it genuinely enriching my life in ways that others claim it does for them.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to have some incredibly mystical contact with a god and to know you were looked after. But I think even people who experience divine communication are working under faith that what they sense and perceive is truly a deity and not imagination or insanity.

Haha, maybe that's the lesson I need to learn: stop being so damn needy. Just need to teach myself that a relationship isn't guaranteed or necessary or even "better", but rather just is... I think that's a good long term self-help kind of goal I can get behind! Note to self: stop being so butthurt.

Well...I don't necessarily mean that no divine communication means no relationship at all, but that there isn't a personal salvation relationship. Like, Woden isn't going to appear because he's worried about the state of *my* soul and wants to save me or anything. The gods are concerned with the masses and 'right' and productive behavior in communities. Taking an oath establishes an interesting relationship. Developing a sacred understanding through continual worship is a unique dynamic. There's a religion and a belief there for a reason. The gods aren't absent.  ;)

Love it! Lots and lots of points that hit home for me. And wow, that whole post almost makes me want to pursue Heathenry more than any other religion I've ever looked into. You've got a skill, lady. ;P

Oh, ew, don't say that! :/ It was complimentary, so thank you, but it seriously touches on an issue I'm having. TMI, but lately I've sort of stepped back from the forum because I don't know what my purpose for being here is. Why am I getting into stupid debates, why am I vehemently defending my POV, etc? Like, dude, am I subconsciously proselytizing? *shudder* . And honestly, I think my mouth does more harm to heathenry than good. :p

I actually really enjoyed your post about Mayan recon and would like to hear more on it. Mel Gibson's Apocalpyto is probably a bad reference but it seems like another terrible- beautiful worldview and it'd be interesting to hear all about its complexities. :)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;33585
Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to have some incredibly mystical contact with a god and to know you were looked after. But I think even people who experience divine communication are working under faith that what they sense and perceive is truly a deity and not imagination or insanity.

Oh definitely. I'm not in any position to tell someone else what their deal is, let alone doubt them when I have no reason to. It creates an interesting (and frustrating) paradox when I have to reconcile my trust in others' belief with my own no-belief.

Well...I don't necessarily mean that no divine communication means no relationship at all, but that there isn't a personal salvation relationship. Like, Woden isn't going to appear because he's worried about the state of *my* soul and wants to save me or anything. The gods are concerned with the masses and 'right' and productive behavior in communities. Taking an oath establishes an interesting relationship. Developing a sacred understanding through continual worship is a unique dynamic. There's a religion and a belief there for a reason. The gods aren't absent.  ;)

Oh no, not saying that, just saying that it isn't always "Hey, so-in-so. Worship me because it'll be good for you, yeah? We got a deal? Cool. See you tomorrow morning at 7am. Oh, and bring cookies."

Oh, ew, don't say that! :/ It was complimentary, so thank you, but it seriously touches on an issue I'm having. TMI, but lately I've sort of stepped back from the forum because I don't know what my purpose for being here is. Why am I getting into stupid debates, why am I vehemently defending my POV, etc? Like, dude, am I subconsciously proselytizing? *shudder* . And honestly, I think my mouth does more harm to heathenry than good. :p

Haha, I've asked myself that question before, mostly from social art forums. And nah, I don't really get that vibe from you... and definitely not during the course of this discussion. As for me? Religiously/spiritually speaking, I'm single and looking, so it's definitely welcome. I've always been drawn to the north and western European things; there's something about the mood of the culture(s) that really feels like home to me in a sense, and it inspires a great amount of nostalgia even though I've never been to Europe. The most similar climate I've found myself in has been British Columbia and Alaska, and every time I go there it's like a really amazing punch to the stomach. The big (big) problem is that I currently have little to no affinity for the Norse pantheon. The WV, though? It's definitely tempting.

The things I really dig about it are the (relative) simplicity and pragmatism, and emphasis on land, family, and seasons. Those things are the bread and butter of my life.

I actually really enjoyed your post about Mayan recon and would like to hear more on it. Mel Gibson's Apocalpyto is probably a bad reference but it seems like another terrible- beautiful worldview and it'd be interesting to hear all about its complexities. :)

Thank you! I've been doing more reading on online articles, and will definitely be posting them as they meet my personal guidelines for relevance. :B It's lonely work for someone looking to get out of it what I am, so really, thanks!

Tbh I haven't actually seen Apocalypto and don't know much about it? I'm notoriously bad at stomaching film violence, so I generally stay away from R's... and judging by how bloody The Passion was, I can only assume the man had a veritable field day with the undercurrent of gore to be found in the Meso WV... not to mention the heavy, heavy Christian bias that I'm sure is present. And oop, looking at the IMDB page for it, apparently it has this as an opening quote: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." Blech!

Tags: