Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 25Oct11 through 31Oct11  (Read 1978 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 25Oct11 through 31Oct11
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:38 am »
Welcome to the Discussion of the Week for October 25th through 31st, 2011!

Topic: Words of the Divine

Background reading: I speak the Universe; Nothing but words, words, words

Questions:  What does it mean to speak?  What does speech mean to you?

What would it mean to be unable to communicate with language? What does communication mean to you?

When is speech sacred? What does sacred speech mean compared to regular speech? Is there a difference?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 25Oct11 through 31Oct11
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:59 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;27412

Questions:  What does it mean to speak?  What does speech mean to you?

Speech places me in a community with others that use speech to communicate.  It is not the be-all, end-all method of communication out there but it distinguishes us.  That I can speak requires choosing what I say, and how I say it, with care.

What would it mean to be unable to communicate with language? What does communication mean to you?

It would mean finding another method of communication.  Speech is important only in a speaking community.

When is speech sacred? What does sacred speech mean compared to regular speech? Is there a difference?

All speech has the potential to be sacred, but it isn't inherently so.  However, words have meaning and power.  I tend to differentiate between the two - a word written mindfully and with intent can have more power than the same word spoken aloud.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;28373
Speech places me in a community with others that use speech to communicate.  It is not the be-all, end-all method of communication out there but it distinguishes us.  That I can speak requires choosing what I say, and how I say it, with care.

It would mean finding another method of communication.  Speech is important only in a speaking community.

All speech has the potential to be sacred, but it isn't inherently so.  However, words have meaning and power.  I tend to differentiate between the two - a word written mindfully and with intent can have more power than the same word spoken aloud.

Actually, by language I included sign language.  Anything that involves more than point & grunt.  Written, spoken, signed - heck, if we had language from squirting pheromones, I'd include that too. :D  Language is being able to describe something without demonstrating it.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:18:58 pm »

Topic: Words of the Divine

What does it mean to speak? What does speech mean to you?

I suppose the most literal definition is to make noises come out of your body that helps others to understand what you want/need/etc. However, it's technically more than that. It's a means to bridge (or create) gaps. It defines culture, ideas, can bring things together in many ways. But speech is also destructive, hurtful, and can cause rifts that will never be fixed. It is the ultimate tool.

I don't know what I would do. I have had times where I am just too beat to use my words to express what I need to others. There have been times when my voice is gone, and using ASL with people isn't an option- it's frustrating and hard to get what you mean across. And it can wear you out. So I imagine it would suck (in short). Communication is key for me. I see misunderstandings that happen all the time because people aren't communicating well and it frustrates me. I also get upset when people purposely try to obscure what they mean and interrupt communication- it's totally counterproductive. I am all about communication. We need more of it.

All speech is sacred. Both of my paths have taught me this. While I sometimes forget it, at it's core, I believe that all speech is sacred (because everything is sacred in FK) and that all words should be treated as such.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »
What does it mean to speak?  What does speech mean to you?

To speak is to communicate with others. Speech allows me to express ideas and emotions so I'm connecting to others.

Not being able to communicate would be a scary lonely place. Communication is a sharing of the mind with others. It is what makes us not alone in the world.

Speech is always sacred but remembering and keeping it sacred is the hard part. Words can harm just as easily as they can help but as Divine beings we should strive to speak with good intention. Now if only my mouth wouldn't get ahead of my brain sometimes.

Tags: