Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Other Gods?  (Read 2395 times)

Ruadan

• View Profile
Other Gods?
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:39:21 pm »
I've just been wondering about this lately, what are peoples thoughts on the Gods they don't worship? I'd assume its something that varies from person to person, weither one interprets many Gods as being different facets or interpretations of one particular God, or sees many Gods that just don't speak to or affect them.
Personally my Gods I would see as being quite provincial, very much linked to this cold miserable rainy corner of the world.

I personally think there are a multitude of other beings out there linked to different physical phenomina or individual cultures, in many ways subjective. I'm quite sure that Gods called Yaweh, Allah Jupiter, Aphrodite, Thor, etc are out there affecting peoples lives and making them better, they're just not my Gods.

I'd just be intreagued to learn anyone elses ideas on this, thanks.

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
Re: Other Gods?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:36:09 pm »
Quote from: Ruadan;26022
I've just been wondering about this lately, what are peoples thoughts on the Gods they don't worship? I'd assume its something that varies from person to person, weither one interprets many Gods as being different facets or interpretations of one particular God, or sees many Gods that just don't speak to or affect them.
Personally my Gods I would see as being quite provincial, very much linked to this cold miserable rainy corner of the world.

I personally think there are a multitude of other beings out there linked to different physical phenomina or individual cultures, in many ways subjective. I'm quite sure that Gods called Yaweh, Allah Jupiter, Aphrodite, Thor, etc are out there affecting peoples lives and making them better, they're just not my Gods.

I may not worship them but they deserve respect and honor. I personally feel they are both aspects of the same source and also different. Much like a river that feeds from a lake. When the water is in the lake, it's the same source. Yet when the water leaves the lake and goes down river, it is now something else entirely in its current aspect.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »
.. I'd just be intreagued to learn anyone elses ideas on this, thanks.

In many wyas to me they are like drivers on the highway.  They move about me and I am aware of them but they do not directly impact upon me.  My gods / goddesses are like the componets and guidances in the car with me and influence me directly through their influences, actions or lack there of, even in the signs and indicators they reveal to me through out the journey.

I acknowledge there is potential for someone not acknowledged as my god / goddess to become an active participant for short exchanges.  Like the policeman on the highway who comes or is brough into play to change my course but done so within the scope of my guidance from my own gods / goddesses.  But many times I attribute that to the larger interaction that occurs between the gods / goddesses that may influnce me but are not about me.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »

I am a hard polytheist, which means that as far as I am concerned, all gods are separate beings.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;26041
I am a hard polytheist, which means that as far as I am concerned, all gods are separate beings.

This! I believe the same thing
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:57 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;26041

This.

I recognize They exist and I respect Them for what they do for other people (and because They're, you know, Gods).

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:45 am »
Quote from: Firaza;26123
I recognize They exist and I respect Them for what they do for other people (and because They're, you know, Gods).

That's how I feel. I also don't mind calling on them to help those who follow them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:36:24 am »
Quote from: RandallS;26146
That's how I feel. I also don't mind calling on them to help those who follow them.

^ That, too.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »
I've just been wondering about this lately, what are peoples thoughts on the Gods they don't worship?

There are a lot of deities I don't worship, just like there are a lot of humans I don't have a close personal relationship with.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: