Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Dieties of the Hunt  (Read 4835 times)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
Dieties of the Hunt
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
Hello out there. =) I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.
My friend is starting out on a pagan path, and he is interested in gods of the hunt. I'm familiar with the most common dieties out there, but do you guys have any suggestions?

I just want to help him research this a little bit. And I've found that you all a great resource. =) Thank you so much.

A note: he feels strongly connected to Native American spirituality, especially Lakota Sioux.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Dieties of the Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;25239
My friend is starting out on a pagan path, and he is interested in gods of the hunt. I'm familiar with the most common dieties out there, but do you guys have any suggestions?

I just want to help him research this a little bit. And I've found that you all a great resource. =) Thank you so much.

A note: he feels strongly connected to Native American spirituality, especially Lakota Sioux.

Diana
Artemis
Bendis
Neith
Wotan
Skathi
Herakles

And I know there's more, but that's the only ones I can think of.

Maybe your friend will get some interesting info from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_hunt
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:41:02 pm »

Not to be picky but Lakota is the name they call themselves, Sioux is the name thier enemies would call the same grouping.  However Lakota is just one grouping as thier are Lakota, Dakota, Ug La La for example.

I also do not think they have a god for hunting as they would call upon the animal spirit and its helper facet to ensure a good hunt.  Many times going to the Medicine Person to search journey wise to see where the creature's would be found.

I would suggest he read about WHITE BUFFALO CALF WOMAN COMES DANCING as she brough many of their ceremonies to them and taught the usage such as the pipe ceremony for instance.  Perhaps even read about the importance of the White BUffalo to them, Maybe research the sacred bundle, sacred relic, etc.  But most importantly really research the whole facet of the nation for spirituality is the whole life and all facets of it not just what non-natives think of as spiritual / religious.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:26 pm »

I would also ask as to how he is defining "Hunt"?  SOunds like it should be a easy taste but say Herne the Hunter is a huntsman and sometimes associated with the Wild Hunt.  Cernunnos is also a god associated to the hunt but also to the wilds.  Odin is also a hunt God and especially connected to the WILD HUNT lore and the stories associated to that.

In some capacities one can look to the Green Man of the foliage.  As a woodland god / figure he would be called upon by groups going out on the hunt to bring good returns.

You could look to the notion of "Hunt" as it pertains to seafarers who would call upon Poseidon, Neptune for deep ocean waters but also Artemis or Hekate who were assocatied with coastal waters, fisheries and harbors.

So "Hunt" and gods / goddesses associated to that can really be broad.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
Quote from: Mata;25252
Diana
Artemis
Bendis
Neith
Wotan
Skathi
Herakles

And I know there's more, but that's the only ones I can think of.

Maybe your friend will get some interesting info from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_hunt

Thank you so much. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;25305

Thank you for replying, but you seemed to have overanalyzed, my good friend. =) I should have been more specific.

Really, I'm only working with what he's given me. All he is looking for is hunting in the sense of going out in the woods, sitting in a treestand, and waiting.

As for the Lakota Sioux thing, that's what he told me. He has only been studying this for a short time. So.. yeah. But as always, thank you so much monsnoleedra. =)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;25323
Thank you for replying, but you seemed to have overanalyzed, my good friend. =) I should have been more specific.

Really, I'm only working with what he's given me. All he is looking for is hunting in the sense of going out in the woods, sitting in a treestand, and waiting.

As for the Lakota Sioux thing, that's what he told me. He has only been studying this for a short time. So.. yeah. But as always, thank you so much monsnoleedra. =)

To sit in a tree stand and wait I don't think you'll find any.

Artemis (Greek) is renouned for the hunt and running and tracking not sitting and killing.  Diana (Roman) is the same, renouned for the hunt and running and tracking with her dogs.  Herne (British) / Odin (Norse) are also renouned for the hunt and running of their dogs and the chase.  Cernunnos (Celtic) is also going on the hunt and tracking.  One key element all of them have in common is the respect and challenge of seeking out thier prey and taking it.

Even in Native American Lore the hunt is a ritual and ceremony with definate facets to be observed and honored.  Tatanka was hunted initially on foot then later from horseback.  I personaly believe much of the notion of "Blooding" is a carry over from the ritual / ceremony of the hunt and becoming one with your prey and its spirit or medicine.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:57 pm »

You might want to add 'patient' to your description of the hunt god you are looking for.  Not every hunt is accomplished by running around and chasing things.  Maybe look more towards cat, spider, or alligator aligned hunters.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:10:18 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;25338
You might want to add 'patient' to your description of the hunt god you are looking for.  Not every hunt is accomplished by running around and chasing things.  Maybe look more towards cat, spider, or alligator aligned hunters.

Absent

That's a good point.  Not all hunters are chasers.

Another facet perhaps to consider would be is it a preditor hunter or a prey hunter?  they are similiar yet also different.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 05:03:25 am »

Gwyn Ap Nudd
Fionn MacCumhaill and his band of hunter-warriors (Caolte, Diarmuid, etc.)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:37:54 am »

Thanks all. =)
Evidently he just joined our lovely little community here. =)

Leksi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »

My friend asked this question for me, I had not learned of this site till after. I am lost right now when It comes to my religious/spiritual path but have all ways felt real close to nature, mainly to hunting, I think thats why I have native beliefs. when I say hunt I don't mean just sitting in a tree waiting for animals,I mean the whole hunt from start to finish,the entire lifestyle. I want to give thanks in my own ways to the Gods and Goddesses that create the world I love so dearly. I don't feel like persuing the native beliefs is the right path for me(I really don't want to offend their gods, me not being native indian,I don't want to offend any ones god/goddess) so this is why we asked about Hunting Dieties.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:47 pm »

Flidais
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »
Quote from: Leksi;25702
My friend asked this question for me, I had not learned of this site till after. I am lost right now when It comes to my religious/spiritual path but have all ways felt real close to nature, mainly to hunting, I think thats why I have native beliefs. when I say hunt I don't mean just sitting in a tree waiting for animals,I mean the whole hunt from start to finish,the entire lifestyle. I want to give thanks in my own ways to the Gods and Goddesses that create the world I love so dearly. I don't feel like persuing the native beliefs is the right path for me(I really don't want to offend their gods, me not being native indian,I don't want to offend any ones god/goddess) so this is why we asked about Hunting Dieties.

You actually have two different concepts here.  

The rituals / ceremonies of the hunt and hunter were more tied to animal medicine and spirits than to any given hunting god / goddess.  The mock hunts, mock battles and even mock kills that preceeded the actual hunt were used to bring the animal spirits to the hunters and also ensure a good hunt even as they were used to honor and acknowledge those spirits / medicines.

That doesn't even really touch upon blooding ceremonies, dancing the hunt ceremonies, making of ones ritual hunt tools, etc.  Offerings and thanks to the killed animals and proper handling of the non used parts and even the taking of trophies.  Perhaps even to the handling of parts and possibly the creation of an ensemble or regalia for instance.

Its more animist in design and outlook than god / goddess driven or religious.

EmberHearth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Creative, Inclusive Celto-Germanic Syncretism (roughly Northern Tradition) / UCC
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 11:58:43 pm »

Ullr.

Possibly more the Holler aspect of Urglaawe (I consider them the same being.)

Tags: