Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 11Oct11 through 17Oct11  (Read 2256 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 11Oct11 through 17Oct11
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:44:31 am »
Welcome to the Discussion of the Week for October 11th through 17th, 2011!

Topic: Morality and FlameKeeping

Background reading: Moral Flame; What is Morality?

Questions: What does morality mean to you? Do you judge it in positive terms (you should) or negative (you should not)?

What does it mean to see everyone as Divine? Is this hard for you? What moral strictures does that rule impose on you?

What does it mean to improve the Divine? Is this one difficult? Again, what strictures does this impose on you?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week - 11Oct11 through 17Oct11
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;24867
Do you judge it in positive terms (you should) or negative (you should not)?

What exactly does this part mean?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »

Topic: Morality and FlameKeeping

So I thought about it more. I think I answered my own question from above. So ignore it XD

I'm afraid this isn't the most well written entry, but morality is something I have a hard time putting into words. So please bear with me ~~;;

Questions: What does morality mean to you? Do you judge it in positive terms (you should) or negative (you should not)?

Morality is a word I don’t like to use, honestly. It’s a loaded word and it usually brings up the wrong types of imagery to be useful. For me, I like to think that I’m held to a code of honor, as it were. It seems like it’s something that Set has driven me towards/goaded me into. It’s basically about honoring you words and your beliefs. Putting your money where your mouth is.

For example: I see someone totally beating down on someone (whether in real life or on the forums) when that someone hasn’t really done anything wrong. Set or I goes “So, I see someone is totally being a jerk. Shame that no mods are coming around to fix it.” And then it sits there in my head. I can’t let that stand. And while it’s possible I could just ignore it, or leave it for someone else to do- that’s not putting my money where my mouth is. I can’t leave things for other people to do when I’m perfectly capable of doing it myself- and what if no one ever comes to help set things straight? What if, then, that person really gets upset over it, or gets the wrong idea.. or or or…. it just doesn’t sit well with me. And so I have to jump in the fray. Otherwise I feel like I’m not living up to my standard of ethics. And I can’t even imagine what Set would do to me if I made that a normal practice of mine (not putting my money where my mouth is).

So my ‘morality’ my ‘code of ethics’ is defined by putting my money where my mouth is. When I see something that should or could be fixed, I fix it. At least, to the best of my ability. I define it with positive terms- you should try to be this, you should try to do that, you should try to be this or that way.

And above all, when the heat turns up and your ethics are put to the test, you should try to stick to your guns

What does it mean to see everyone as Divine? Is this hard for you? What moral strictures does that rule impose on you?

I’m not sure what it means to see everyone as Divine. We’re Divine. It’s as simple as that. Everything is Divine and for me, there is nothing hard to wrap my brain around. It is what it is. The only moral restrictions or caveats this places on me is that I need to not be a complete ass all the time. I need to show restraint and tact. I need to not bitch slap anyone that does something ‘wrong’ or that hurts me. Which is pretty often (for the latter). I turn a blind eye to the things that I feel aren’t worth it and I reinforce my Money Mouth rule on the things that I feel are important enough to step in on.

What does it mean to improve the Divine? Is this one difficult? Again, what strictures does this impose on you?

I want to improve the Divine. I have a burning fire to do a lot of things with my time here, but not nearly enough resources to get those things done. So for now, I’m starting small. I’m starting local and working my way out. Starting with getting me okay. Making sure that I am in a good position to help other parts of the Divine. While doing this, I’m also helping my s.o. to become okay so that he is better equipped to help other parts of the Divine. From there, it’s working with more people that are nearby. And eventually branching out. This doesn’t impose any limits on me, really. If anything it drives me literally crazy because I feel I’m not moving fast enough. I want too much too quickly. I want it all now. The world can’t wait ten years for me to get financially stable. I can’t wait that long either. But alas, those things are out of my hands and out of my control. So again, no limits. It really doesn’t even factor into my morality, it’s just something I’m hardwired to want to do. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Hopefully that sorta answers it. If anyone needs me to clarify anything, just ask.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »

When I hear the term ‘morality’ I think, “being a good and honest person; obeying the laws”. It sounds pretty simple but is much more difficult in practice.

First, what on Earth is ‘good’? I think a good person is helpful, friendly, caring. They think about others and not just themselves. They try to do things that benefit others out of kindness, not hidden motives. They do not judge other people and realize that not everyone sees the world the same way they do.

Being honest and obeying the laws are good things, but there are times that one simply cannot stick to these particular morals. Morals can conflict. Sometimes in order to be kind, one has to lie. Sometimes in order to help others, one has to break the law.

It is hard for me because I tend to be a slightly selfish person. I can be somewhat apathetic toward the general population. Seeing everyone as Divine means I should treat each person with kindness and respect, even if they piss me off. It means I shouldn’t talk to someone like they are a moron when they don’t know things I think they should know.

This seems slightly easier because there are many things I can do to improve the Divine and so I can do so in areas that fit my personality and interests. The morals only come into play when interacting with other people*, as mentioned above.

*This is something that I had never thought about before, that morals are a product of society. Would you agree? If someone was completely a loner who never came into contact with another human, would they need morals?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:18 am »

Questions: What does morality mean to you?

Morality is fluid; it changes depending on circumstance. There is no "one true way", there is no absolute.  What is considered moral in one situation can be immoral in another.

Do you judge it in positive terms (you should) or negative (you should not)?

I don't judge it in either way, although I'll admit I am still working this out.  Currently, I look at morality in terms of...balance isn't quite the right word, but it is the closest I can get without going into full-body-flail.

It isn't hard to see everyone as Divine, but it can be hard to put the concept into practice.  However, I don't think it affects my personal morality in any way.

It means ensuring every action is in accordance with ma'at; that all I do is done with ma'at in mind.  It must promote Divine Order in some way.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;25373
Morality is fluid; it changes depending on circumstance. There is no "one true way", there is no absolute.  What is considered moral in one situation can be immoral in another.

I like this. I think I would agree with this as well :)

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:17 pm »

For me morality means how we should approach life and dealing with others. I see it as what keeps people from intentionally do harm to others. I view it through positive rather than negative. I should treat others with respect rather than I can't be mean and nasty.

Seeing everyone as Divine is to recognize we are all connected through the essence of all that is. Divine is in all of us so we are all special even though each of us different. Oh yes it is often hard to maintain this view. It doesn't really put any extra moral strictures than those I already place on myself. However it does place a bit of guilt on me when I say something I know should have been left unspoken. I really have to watch that because my mouth can get ahead of brain lol.

To improve the Divine means I need to be my best person. Improving myself, helping others, and doing for nature all give positive back to the Divine. I may not be making a large worldwide impact but that doesn't matter. My changes and actions can mushroom through what I inspire others to do...Pay It Forward. The strictures would be the same as above.

Tags: