collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos  (Read 15276 times)

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24398
I celebrate Halloween like I do Christmas, purely secular.

I've always just celebrated things purely secular even when I was in a Christian church (never felt right there). I personally love all the decorating, food, and family that comes along with holidays.

Since I'm a newbie spiritual explorer I have been feeling out whether I want to add in spiritual aspects to my celebrations. I have no defined religious path so if I do it would be more of celebrating the seasons and cycles of life. Lots to explore so maybe by Christmas I will have more of an idea.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:52 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

I celebrate Halloween, and the traditional Gaelic festival of Samhain, along with the Wiccan Sabbat. Like many of the others, Lughnasadh to Samhain is my favourite time of year, with September&October my favourite months(Meán&Deireadh Fómhair;mid&end of autumn).

I've always loved Halloween as a kid. A whole month of decorations, carving jack-0-lanterns, up to Halloween night where my friends and I would go out late with pillow cases for trick-or-treating, and the neighbours would figure we were the last of them, and give us the rest of their bowls. Then it was playing with ouija boards in graveyards, and watching horror films and camping out. I've really cherished those memories, and if I could still get away with it, I would ;). Now it's a month of watching the farmers collecting bails, drinking cider, and handing out candy with a roaring fire.

Samhain in our tradition actually relates to family, and memories of loved ones. A part of it comes from the lore of knowing that there was a possibility of someone not making it through the winter months, and bundling up together, at a time when everyone would be back from the hills with the herds. I keep up the old tradition of leaving out the dumb supper, and re-lighting the Samhain fire with oíche shamhna embers. Bonfires have always remained a part of Irish culture during Halloween, and children in Ireland light off fireworks on Halloween night, or attend displays similar to how it's done in the States on 4th of July, or New Years.

We have little other than Victorian&Edwardian folklorists to indicate that Samhain was actually the "Celtic New Year," but it did start off the Coligny Calender(Samonios), and it marks the beginning of the Wiccan Sabbat cycle.
Semper Fidelis

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 11:54:56 am »
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

I'm another one who loves this time of year. Autumn is, hands down, my favorite season.

I celebrate both Halloween and Samhain, but on separate days. Halloween, obviously on the 31st, but I have my Samhain celebration on the astrological cross quarter day.

For Halloween we decorate outside, build a fire in my giant cauldron fire pit, pass out heaping handfuls of candy (seriously, I spend way too much cash on candy every year), make mulled cider for the neighbors and have a really great time. Last year turned into a kind of block party at my house. And yes, I do dress up as the classic witch, pointy hat, funny shoes and broom, but no warts or green skin ;).

Why? For the pure fun of it all.

Samhain is a little more subdued. I set up places at my table for my dead friends and family with a picture of each. I'll have special foods and drinks that each of them loved, and I remember them with stories, by playing music that they enjoyed, things like that. Usually it's just my household, but depending on what day of the week it falls on sometimes my sister and my son will come over too. It's not a terribly solemn occasion, but not nearly as festive as Halloween.

As far as why? Well, it seems to me that everyone loves a party, even the dead. So I have one just for them.

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;24596
I'm another one who loves this time of year. Autumn is, hands down, my favorite season.

Me Too! Autumn is my all time favorite! I can't really explain it, buy my whole attitude and energy changes at this time of the year and I can't spend enough time outside. I feel the closest to spirit at this time of the year.

It's great to hear how others celebrate this season. :D:

I always celebrate Halloween as secular. I usually do a little something to dress up, even if it's just putting on a cheap blue wig and glitter make-up, or wearing my black cloak, black nail polish, and dark black eyeliner. And I take my boys out trick or treating around the neighborhood.

Although I've been off and on Wiccan for many years, this will be my first time doing a ritual and celebrating Samhain. I will do my ritual during the day when my oldest is at school, toddler is napping, and husband is at work. I'm a bit sad about the timing, but I'll take what I can get.. I'm the only Pagan, and I know I'll be disturbed if I try to cast a circle at night when everyone is home.  I am thinking of saving divination for the night, though. I just got a new Tarot deck so I think I'll set something up for a detailed reading for myself. With candles and incense. That would be too disturbing if hubby decides to walk in while I'm doing it.

I've got to really start looking at putting my ritual together. Nothing to elaborate since its my first one! I'm actually looking forward to it. It will be my first ritual since I've started back on this path. I wasn't prepared for Mabon.
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »

I observe the secular celebrations of Halloween with a religious gloss.  When I originally concieved of this viewpoint, it was based on the myth of Baucis and Philemon.  Over time, the overt influence has been reduced.

For me, Halloween is the unofficial start of the Holiday season, which is a time of hightened visiting.  This is marked by handing out candy to trick-or-treaters in honor of Hermes Enodios (of Roads) and Zeus Xenios (of Hospitality) as well as going in costume.  The gods were well known to go out in disguise to test xenia.

Also involved are creations of fear/danger.  To entreat the gods to protect us and those we love from dangers of the road.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »

I'm not quite sure what I'll do this year for Halloween. I moved to a new province a month ago (hence my absence here!) and had to leave behind most of my belongings, which includes almost all of my altar trappings and decorations...  

Usually I light candles for my deceased relatives, carve up some pumpkins, decorate the altar, bake cookies, dress up for the yearly costume party, and have a grand time, but this year, being so far from friends and family and familiar things, I'm not quite sure what to do. There's still some time to decide, right?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:37 am »
Quote from: MarieBay;25593
Usually I light candles for my deceased relatives, carve up some pumpkins, decorate the altar, bake cookies, dress up for the yearly costume party, and have a grand time, but this year, being so far from friends and family and familiar things, I'm not quite sure what to do. There's still some time to decide, right?

I'd say you should light candles for your deceased relatives, carve up some pumpkins, decorate the altar, bake some (but possibly rather fewer) cookies, and find out if there's a sufficiently-congenial costume party near you:).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 11:42:48 am »

I celebrate Samhain/Halloween.
I start off with dressing up and either taking the siblings to get candy or handing it out. It's a tradition I love.
And then after all the kids go home and such, I plan on doing a ritual. I'm still planning it out, but I'm excited. =)
For me, it's a time of endings. The summer has gone, and fall is ready to give way to winter. Its a time to let go of what is done, and prepare yourself for the new energies. It's a time to remember and reflect.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »

None. I used to celebrate Halloween. But that's when I used to work and the place I worked had a costume contest.
Conformity is the death of individualism

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 03:45:18 am »

I used to only celebrate Halloween by dressing up and going trick-or-treating with friends, or, after I grew out of that (psh, who am I kidding?), I took my siblings out. Now, though, my siblings and I plan to celebrate a fusion of Halloween (for dressing up and candy), Día de los Muertos (for honoring the dead), and Samhain (as a harvest festival/holy day).

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:44 pm »

I celebrate Dia de los Muertos with a Samhain-y twist.  Plus you can wear a costume.  Just shut up and drink some tequila, okay?

Seriously, I covered this in part elsewhere.  I didn't mention the roots of it, though.  I had a friend (also not of Latin American descent) whose partner celebrated it (first generation Mexican American) who passed away.  My friend continued his annual celebration until he moved away a few years back.  And I sort of ran with it.  It's always felt right, and not just because I like Mexican food and tequila (which I totally do).  It's got a more familial feel than Samhain for me and is kind of the gateway into the more exclusive, familial winter holidays.

Brina

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »

As  for how I celebrate this day, being a Welsh Pagan I celebrate it as Calan Gaeaf, wish is pretty much the same as Samhain. I like to honor the Celtic Deities associated with the day and also like to build a fire outside to honor the ritual in an old way. I leave food out for my ancestors and deities alike. It is my favorite of days!
[Now using the Cryfder account]

shipsflyover

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 01:10:13 am »

My husband and I celebrate Halloween with dinner out. It's our anniversary. :) I love Halloween decorations. Spiderwebs and witch hats (I have several) and pumpkins and things. My husband is an atheist but highly amused when finding tiny plastic pumpkins or whatever in unexpected places when I decorate.  We do not get trick-or-treaters out here in the middle of nowhere, but I do carve a pumpkin to entertain the delivery people (UPS, Fedex, etc.). This year I grew my own pumpkin and am thrilled with it. It's a very happy thing out there on the porch. I bake some cookies or cupcakes. I go on a walk and appreciate the fall colors.

For the Samhain part, I do my celebration and also renew wards on our house and property.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

I've always loved this time of year!  I  kind of start celebrating the season when October 1st comes round.  I haul out my pumpkin collection and put them out around the apt.  I have a battery operated candle that I put on a westfacing winowsill (living room window) and put it on at dusk for the ancestors.  Pumpkin pie making galore for me (I'm surprised I can still fit through the door!).  I light votive candles on my ancestor altar/shrine.  And buy loads of candies and eat them all myself (nobody trick or treats at my door except my friend down the hall-and I don't always share that well...)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:53 am »
Quote from: MarieBay;25593
I'm not quite sure what I'll do this year for Halloween. I moved to a new province a month ago (hence my absence here!) and had to leave behind most of my belongings, which includes almost all of my altar trappings and decorations...  

I'm not sure what I'm going to do either. I usually dress up. But since I'm unemployed this year, and in years past I would dress up for work, I'm at a loss. I was thinking about doing a ritual...but can't find a ritual to do online since they are all Wiccan and I don't identify as Wiccan.

And I'm at a loss when it comes to writing my own too...
Conformity is the death of individualism

Tags: